We can’t go on pretending that poverty is solved by getting a job

Baxter Parp

8 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I think housing rental costs are excluded from "able to live on £600.00 a month" scenarios.

Not sure what would happen if you're on a mortgage - do you need mortgage insurance to pick up the tab?

I take it that's no aimed at me cos I haven't a clue :)

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I think housing rental costs are excluded from "able to live on £600.00 a month" scenarios.

Not sure what would happen if you're on a mortgage - do you need mortgage insurance to pick up the tab?

Mortgage protection insurance has got a bit of a bad name. I think the Social can help with the interest but not capital repayment. @jupe1407 will know.

Mortgage protection insurance has got a bit of a bad name. I think the Social can help with the interest but not capital repayment. [mention=15829]jupe1407[/mention] will know.

You can apply for help with Mortgage Interest. it's an assumed rate of 3% IIRC. It's paid as additional pension credit, ESA, JSA etc once you've been on that (income based) benefit for a set time.

The government however recently changed the waiting period from 13 weeks to 39, except in certain circumstances.

Eta: I haven't dealt with one of these for over a year now so the info might not be up to date.

Just now, jupe1407 said:

You can apply for help with Mortgage Interest. it's an assumed rate of 3% IIRC. It's paid as additional pension credit, ESA, JSA etc once you've been on that (income based) benefit for a set time.

The government however recently changed the waiting period from 13 weeks to 39, except in certain circumstances.

So you would need to have 39 weeks mortgage payments salted away? Or have a sympathetic mortgage lender?

So you would need to have 39 weeks mortgage payments salted away? Or have a sympathetic mortgage lender?

I think the general consensus is that if you're mortgaged and have to go on benefits, you're in the shit. Like I say it's not something I deal with much now. The last time I did it was when the 13 week period existed, which was usually ok.

Even then though, only the interest is paid at 3%, the bulk is still paid by the individual, so aye, you need a reasonable lender, or to get another job quickly.

For one person?
£120 per month shopping bill including food and supplies.
£80 per month combined gas and electricity for a flat.
£10 per month for a mobile phone. A phone. Not a smartphone.
£16 per month or so for TV licence.
Internet? Free. Use the library.
Insurance? £10 per month for personal effects.
Rent and Council tax paid for as explained at least FOUR seperate times above.
Total is £230 per month outgoings leaving £370 per month to piss up against the wall if that is what you wish. 
Now I think you lefties need to explain precisely why that is poverty wages.

£120 for food?

You clearly don't do the food shopping in your household.

2 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

£120 for food?

You clearly don't do the food shopping in your household.

To be fair he did say for one person.
Since I stopped smoking over four years ago I spend roughly £100 per week on groceries.
But as I'm an auld bugger and bide in Sheltered Housing my TV licence is £7.50 a year.
Swings & roundabouts I suppose.

For one person?
Total is £230 per month outgoings leaving £370 per month to piss up against the wall if that is what you wish. 

The definition of poverty is not £600 pm you fucking dimwit.

11 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

£120 a month on food and other household items?  :lol::lol::lol:

I bet oaksoft earns about £10 an hour and despises those whose living standards are close to his but who aren't as 'good' as he is.

He's got a PHD mate.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

For one person?

I think I worked it out that there might be £50.00 left over at the end of the month.

You need to allow for clothes and shoes, haircuts and such like.

You'd need a minimum of £35.00/week for food, never mind household goods, toothpaste etc

On the other hand TV licence would be only £12.00/pm

To be fair he did say for one person.
Since I stopped smoking over four years ago I spend roughly £100 per week on groceries.
But as I'm an auld bugger and bide in Sheltered Housing my TV licence is £7.50 a year.
Swings & roundabouts I suppose.

Imagine being a Scottish nationalist and paying the licence fee. What's THAT about?

Archived