Martin McGuinness resigns, Stormont in chaos

ICTChris

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, RedRob72 said:

If Jonathan Bell has the hard evidence to prove that the RHI scheme was being abused, why hasn't he been asked to present it to the Public Accounts Committee (that's what's is there for). If it compromises Arlene Foster so be it. Seems fairly straightforward to me, and could be progressed pretty quickly?

3 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

MLA Jonathan Bell has claimed he was told he would not be able to challenge the Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) scheme because two DUP special advisers "have extensive interests in the poultry industry".

With this, it is safe to say the DUP's chickens have indeed come home to roost.

26 minutes ago, RedRob72 said:

Briege Rodgers (ex SDLP) says nationalists won't accept British rule on Radio Ulster this morning. Well, Briege, I've got news for you...

Briege Rodgers (ex SDLP) says nationalists won't accept British rule on Radio Ulster this morning. Well, Briege, I've got news for you...

Perhaps it's just what's needed to allow a cooling off period before the assembly can be reformed with an agreed way forward. This can't include threats of walking away again, should any given party not achieve everything and exactly what they want from a future devolved government.

6 hours ago, RedRob72 said:

Perhaps it's just what's needed to allow a cooling off period before the assembly can be reformed with an agreed way forward. This can't include threats of walking away again, should any given party not achieve everything and exactly what they want from a future devolved government.

Going by the way SF and the DUP are digging in, it could be a wee while before there is an agreed way forward.

The DUP & SF have become the living embodiment of "here comes the new boss, same as the old boss" - brazenly lining their own pockets & every time they get caught they ring that old sectarian bell expecting everyone in NI to foam at the mouths to order like rabid Pavlovian dogs.

It would be nice to see People Before Profit & the Alliance dishing out a few bloody noses to the "big four, but I won't hold my breath. Of course, after the last 12 months of shocks, the voters may decide to deliver another Peter Robinson East Belfast moment - they were dishing out the WTF? results at the big elections five years before the mainland caught on.

10 hours ago, WaffenThinMint said:

The DUP & SF have become the living embodiment of "here comes the new boss, same as the old boss" - brazenly lining their own pockets & every time they get caught they ring that old sectarian bell expecting everyone in NI to foam at the mouths to order like rabid Pavlovian dogs.

It would be nice to see People Before Profit & the Alliance dishing out a few bloody noses to the "big four, but I won't hold my breath. Of course, after the last 12 months of shocks, the voters may decide to deliver another Peter Robinson East Belfast moment - they were dishing out the WTF? results at the big elections five years before the mainland caught on.

PBP might have difficulty holding their second seat, never mind making gains, and the further west you travel from north Down/suburban Belfast the less likely Alliance will pick up much more than they already have.

PR is all well and good, but if people continue to stick to their "own side" when allocating their lower selections I think we'll end up with the status quo ante.

However, if the UUP and the SDLP collect seats at the expense of SF and the DUP it could get interesting/messy depending on your outlook.

19 hours ago, WaffenThinMint said:

PBP might have difficulty holding their second seat, never mind making gains, and the further west you travel from north Down/suburban Belfast the less likely Alliance will pick up much more than they already have.

PR is all well and good, but if people continue to stick to their "own side" when allocating their lower selections I think we'll end up with the status quo ante.

However, if the UUP and the SDLP collect seats at the expense of SF and the DUP it could get interesting/messy depending on your outlook.

Some news today about The Scandal - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-38659135 and http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-38663084

12 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Oh let me have my dream you heartless b*****d that this is going to be the year they all finally come to their senses! :P

By the law of averages it's got to happen sometime, why not now? Hell, we've now got Hibs as Scottish Cup holders in our lifetimes - & in a final against Rangers at that!

Some news today about The Scandal - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-38659135 and http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-38663084

UUP to split the Unionist vote even further!?

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The fear of Sinn Fein having the first minister will no doubt get a lot of people to reluctantly vote DUP.

That's what will happen. A lot of talk about "we're not going to get pushed around by Sinn Fein" also. Looking good for deadlock!

29 minutes ago, RedRob72 said:

The DUP, but you get my point?emoji848.pngemoji6.png

Then you've got the PUP and the TUV, not sure if Basil McCrea's party is still about, sundry independent unionists and UKIP.

While on the nationalist side you've just got Sinn Fein, the SDLP and the odd independent republican.

Then you've got the PUP and the TUV, not sure if Basil McCrea's party is still about, sundry independent unionists and UKIP.
While on the nationalist side you've just got Sinn Fein, the SDLP and the odd independent republican.

McCrea left the assembly back in May/June last year, pretty sure NI21 doesn't hold any other representation at Stormont.

Archived