Martin McGuinness resigns, Stormont in chaos

ICTChris

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-38704305

Apparently he only found out yesterday, when his brother told him. This story blew up in December - you'd have thought his brother might have mentioned it then, I can see through him not knowing his cousins had them, if they're like my family I only see the cousins at funerals and weddings.

And I also think his brother might have asked Jim what he thought about this scheme before he got a boiler installed - after all, he is an MLA. Even if he said "I know nothing about it, but I'll find out." If you had a sibling who was a public representative, would you not ask them questions about these sort of matters?

I just find this story a wee bit iffy.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Co.Down Hibee said:

Good post but the quicker version is that he's a lying self- righteous tosser who's been caught on.

Aye, but why come out with a story so full of holes? If it was to pre-empt being "exposed" he's just made a bigger rod for his back.

On 1/20/2017 at 12:54, LinkinFighter said:

Brexit may unfortunately change that depending on the border situation.

Gerry Adams reckons Brexit will destroy the Good Friday Agreement: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-northern-irealand-gerry-adams-sinn-fein-good-friday-agreement-peace-eu-a7539011.html

Never a fan of McGuinness but the NI Assembly will have, on average, lost a fair few IQ points since his departure.

They are obsessed with achieving UI and have demonstrated that they are capable of murdering a couple of thousand of people to try to achieve it. They thought the demographic shift was going to do the job done in a timespan of a few decades tops and decided they could wait for that to unfold rather than doing jail time. That's now not looking like such a safe bet, so although the jobs for the boys factor will probably get them back on board, it's no safe bet if they see their electoral support is starting to drift away.

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

They are obsessed with achieving UI and have demonstrated that they are capable of murdering a couple of thousand of people to try to achieve it. They thought the demographic shift was going to do the job done in a timespan of a few decades tops and decided they could wait for that to unfold rather than doing jail time. That's now not looking like such a safe bet, so although the jobs for the boys factor will probably get them back on board, it's no safe bet if they see their electoral support is starting to drift away.

The demographic shift would only have worked had there not been a huge surge in the Roman Catholic middleclass, which in my opinion strengthens the union to the extent that people will vote with their wallets to maintain their comfortable lifestyles rather than vote with their hearts for a romanticised united Ireland of equals, where they might not be as well off.

The bigger the RC middle class, many reliant on Government jobs, the less likely a united Ireland.

1 hour ago, RedRob72 said:

Adams said only last year ' that diversity was the Trojan horse that would smash Unionism forever' his intentions haven't changed, he's fooling no-one.

I think it was "equality".

11 minutes ago, sureiknow said:

Eamonn is good craic. 

Hope he doesn't lose his seat because of fewer MLA's 

He might well struggle, but with McGuinness not standing that could work in his favour. I'd give him a vote if he was in my constituency.

46 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

won't help him that the DUP will need pretty much every Unionist vote that is available to pass the quota now, while in Belfast West the DUP having zero chance of reaching the new higher quota probably helps both PBP and the SDLP

Doesn't mean that unionists wouldn't give him lower preference votes,rather than let Sinn Fein in (forlorn hope of stopping them, all the same) although I take your point he would need a hefty amount of first preference votes to give himself a chance.

It's more what happens with the lower preference votes from Unionist voters given they almost always go to the candidate other than SF. With five seats rather than six, the Unionist vote is probably only just large enough now to get somebody elected in Foyle, so there will be very few Unionist lower preferences being redistibuted if/when the DUP guy gets his seat (last time around those mainly went to the SDLP rather than McCann, so were probably not pivotal):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foyle_(Assembly_constituency)

Archived