Martin McGuinness resigns, Stormont in chaos

ICTChris

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as I know O'Neill has had her moments with various comments and ceremonies and so on it is good to see a leader of SinnFein who doesn't have an actual history that connects her to events of the past,all the time we had the likes of McGuiness,adams and Kelly heading it up the old days were always going to be dragged up,it was only so far that you could take them seriously as well.

10 minutes ago, Co.Down Hibee said:

As much as I know O'Neill has had her moments with various comments and ceremonies and so on it is good to see a leader of SinnFein who doesn't have an actual history that connects her to events of the past,all the time we had the likes of McGuiness,adams and Kelly heading it up the old days were always going to be dragged up,it was only so far that you could take them seriously as well.

And relatives in the IRA/fundraising for them. But at least she's only a terrorist excuser, and not an actual terrorist like Murphy, so, baby steps..

Reckon this could backfire big time for SF.

Despite the rhetoric, those who idolise gangsters always want some sort of "big man" character at the front & behind closed doors are likely to object to a "wummun" in charge of "their" party as much as they objected to Foster for more than ideological reasons, in much the same way there were plenty that never could accept Bernadette Devlin for more than merely taking her seat in the Commons (even if it was just so she could punch government ministers!).

There's too much of SF's support, especially amongst its massive geriatric population who regard John Wayne's The Quiet Man as a blueprint of utopia where "wummun" know their place, getting the dinner ready whilst the menfolk punch f**k out of each other inbetween pints. Not that the Unionists are much better, but the "big house" mentality as Ian Paisley called it (absent amongst the republican mob) makes the likes of Sylvia Hermon acceptable enough (the "right background, 'un that") in the same manner Alf Garnett type Tories accepted Thatcher.

Things have changed, but in some respects not that much.

6 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:
6 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

And relatives in the IRA/fundraising for them. But at least she's only a terrorist excuser, and not an actual terrorist like Murphy, so, baby steps..

It'll be a long time before we have a SF leader with no link to the IRA, in fact it most likely will never happen but it is a little easier to accept that our soon to be deputy minister isn't responsible for the untold deaths of member of the security forces and civilians,even if she possibly celebrated a few,...as you say baby steps.

4 hours ago, Co.Down Hibee said:
4 hours ago, Co.Down Hibee said:

Quote function doesn't seem to be working - I take your point, but, correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think Martin O'Mueiller (I think I've got the spelling wrong) and Mitchell McLaughlin (rtd) have any links to the IRA. There was a Sinn Fein councillor in Coleraine who was an ex RUC officer - he had no direct links to the IRA, either! (Or maybe not, of course.) Although I doubt there was much chance of him becoming leader of Sinn Fein

Her family are steeped in hardline republicanism, the connection is certainly there, but take your point that she wasn't personally involved.

Can't think of a boring subject in peace time than Northern Irish politics.
Seriously, who crashes the government over a central heating system.
Nutjobs.

Big Michelle, clearly played her part in promoting the possible financial benefits of the RHI scheme!

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/rhi-scandal/sinn-feins-michelle-oneill-in-firing-line-over-rhi-as-role-of-her-department-in-hyping-faulty-scheme-revealed-35404342.html

2 hours ago, RedRob72 said:

I think we have a winner in the eternal search for an appropriate national anthem for Northern Ireland for sporting events.

I'll tip my hat to the new constitution, take a bow for the new revolution, smile and grin at the change all around...then I'll get on my knees and pray we don't get fooled again.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Poor old Northern Ireland - not so much different from Britain AND Ireland after all.

18 hours ago, RedRob72 said:

Nothing to do with her - it was her department that organised all these presentations, she wasn't at any of them, she knew nothing about it, no siree...:whistle

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-38794777

1 minute ago, RedRob72 said:

Not sure if the P&B posters resident in Norn Iron agree, but think Nesbitt's UUP, are in for a decent gain? Only have anecdotal evidence, but seems there is a gathering support.

Name these anecdotes!

Can't say I've heard anything to indicate that, but, to be honest, I haven't been chatting o anyone about their voting intentions.

At the moment I'm not sure myself to whom I give my first preference, and don't think it will make much difference in my constituency where there are two unionist seats and the UUP get one and the DUP get the other. As there is only 1 UUP candidate standing they're not going to pick up any gains here. If the UUP voters don't transfer to the DUP, they will be handing another seat to the nationalists (probably SDLP, as Sinn Fein hoover up 3 seats anyway.) On the other hand, seeing as there are only 5 seats now instead of 6, there may be only 1 unionist returned from here.

Name these anecdotes!
Can't say I've heard anything to indicate that, but, to be honest, I haven't been chatting o anyone about their voting intentions.
At the moment I'm not sure myself to whom I give my first preference, and don't think it will make much difference in my constituency where there are two unionist seats and the UUP get one and the DUP get the other. As there is only 1 UUP candidate standing they're not going to pick up any gains here. If the UUP voters don't transfer to the DUP, they will be handing another seat to the nationalists (probably SDLP, as Sinn Fein hoover up 3 seats anyway.) On the other hand, seeing as there are only 5 seats now instead of 6, there may be only 1 unionist returned from here.

Out in Vegas for the Frampton fight last weekend, Just chatting with friends from Belfast and other fight fans from Norn Iron Jack, that's all. Most seemed fed up with the DUP.

6 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

...seeing as there are only 5 seats now instead of 6, there may be only 1 unionist returned from here.

Assuming you are in Mid-Ulster Unionism should still have more than enough votes to easily get two seats given the combined Unionist vote is around 35%. That should make the contest for the last seat 15:5 in favour of the Unionist if people do the tribal head count thing. It will probably wind up SF2 SDLP 1 DUP 1 UUP 1 looking at the numbers last time around.

2 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Assuming you are in Mid-Ulster Unionism should still have more than enough votes to easily get two seats given the combined Unionist vote is around 35%. That should make the contest for the last seat 15:5 in favour of the Unionist if people do the tribal head count thing. It will probably wind up SF2 SDLP 1 DUP 1 UUP 1 looking at the numbers last time around.

Aye, I'm Mid Ulster, just hadn't done the maths!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived