Martin McGuinness resigns, Stormont in chaos

ICTChris

1 minute ago, RedRob72 said:

McCrea left the assembly back in May/June last year, pretty sure NI21 doesn't hold any other representation at Stormont.

I think you're right - couldn't remember the name of his party. :lol:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...but really they have been in slow but steady long term decline, because it's often a generational thing as to who votes SF and SDLP. It's People Before Profit that seemed to be putting a bit of a dent into the SF vote last time around presumably mainly amongst younger voters (in the two big cities and not so much in rural tribal headcount type areas) even if Eamonn McCann comes across in interviews as being the oldest swinger in town.

8 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

...but really they have been in slow but steady long term decline, because it's often a generational thing as to who votes SF and SDLP. It's People Before Profit that seemed to be putting a bit of a dent into the SF vote last time around presumably mainly amongst younger voters (in the two big cities and not so much in rural tribal headcount type areas) even if Eamonn McCann comes across in interviews as being the oldest swinger in town.

I like Eamonn McCann, he often talks a lot of sense.

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

McGuinness isn't standing in the forthcoming election - he certainly didn't sound a well man on the radio this evening.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-38652088

Turned on utv live and genuinely thought he'd croaked it...rather like when Paisley resigned everyone will largely focus on the last 10-15 years ,one thing I'll say in his favour is that he was willing and seemingly able to work alongside his foes,or certainly appeared to anyway,hopefully his successors will be able to do the same.

Ian Paisley Jnr very gracious about McGuinness last night on The View - I caught it on the radio when driving to work this morning. This was acknowledged by Connor Murphy, another Shinner I've no time for, but he did acknowledge it. Gregory Campbell not so gracious. I'd be more in Gregory's camp than Ian's to be honest.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-38685158

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

Ian Paisley Jnr very gracious about McGuinness last night on The View - I caught it on the radio when driving to work this morning. This was acknowledged by Connor Murphy, another Shinner I've no time for, but he did acknowledge it. Gregory Campbell not so gracious. I'd be more in Gregory's camp than Ian's to be honest.

Flegory taking the usual hard-line stance, ...to be honest a bit surprised that wee Ian is being gracious although that is mostly down to the relationship his father had,....like Paisley and many others we can't judge McGuiness on just the last 10 or so years, yes his latter day actions have brought progress but there are so many families without loved ones due to his early days that it's hard to be compassionate towards him.

Eileen Paisley waxing lyrical about McGuinness on Radio Ulster at the moment.

And now Gerry Adams thanking Junior and lauding Senior!

Bertie Ahern a bit more circumspect (about McGuinness)

Reg Empey quite balanced assessment.

The wee puffed up failed politician, Brian Feeney, talking sh*te

Danny Morrison rewriting history.

Mark Eakin (his 8 year old sister was killed in the Claudy bombing) very measured contribution, fair play to him.

Ann Travers (her sister Mary was murdered by the IRA) on next. Not quite sure what she was saying.

1 hour ago, Co.Down Hibee said:

Flegory taking the usual hard-line stance, ...to be honest a bit surprised that wee Ian is being gracious although that is mostly down to the relationship his father had,....like Paisley and many others we can't judge McGuiness on just the last 10 or so years, yes his latter day actions have brought progress but there are so many families without loved ones due to his early days that it's hard to be compassionate towards him.

It's because people over there judge one another over the events of the last ten centuries, never mind years, that's kept them in this mess for so long.

5 minutes ago, LinkinFighter said:

TFS really is a mess at the moment. Sad to see.

No more of a mess than ever. At least we're not shooting each other anymore, even if we're not "bestest friends".

Archived