Martin McGuinness resigns, Stormont in chaos

ICTChris

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Sooky said:

Seems like the UUP are going to do fairly terrible? Is this due to pissing off committed Unionists by effectively recommending they give the SDLP their 2nd preference?

However I also read that their first preference vote share has increased a tad.

Northern Ireland confuses me.

Asking unionists to effectively give vote's to Nationalist s is always a tricky. Sell ,as much as they are both trying the partnership route they have ultimately opposing agendas,some Unionists in West Belfast used to vote SDLP to try and keep the Shinners out but when an actual party leader says it as a directive to his voters that takes on a different slant.

21 minutes ago, Kejan said:

Nesbitt seems a decent guy. Good luck to him and admirable stance, he stood on.

Quite liked him as presenter of utv live and his missus had a bored housewife quality to her.....bit shite as a politician in all honesty.

Couldn't be dealing with STV as our main voting system. East Londonderry are on stage 8 of counting and have elected 1 out of their 5 assembly members. It ruins the fun of election night! That is an acceptable reason alone to keep FPTP.

31 minutes ago, Sooky said:

Couldn't be dealing with STV as our main voting system. East Londonderry are on stage 8 of counting and have elected 1 out of their 5 assembly members. It ruins the fun of election night! That is an acceptable reason alone to keep FPTP.

So, your support for first past the post has nothing whatsover to do with the fact that the Tories have an overall majority at Westminster with a whopping 24% of the registered electorate?

hqdefault.jpg

2 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

So, your support for first past the post has nothing whatsover to do with the fact that the Tories have an overall majority at Westminster with a whopping 24% of the registered electorate?

hqdefault.jpg

It's worse than that. Even at a local level FPTP is a travesty.  CGP Grey sums it all up nicely. 

hqdefault.jpg

Not really, as I also accept without complaint that the SNP have 56/59 seats in Scotland with half the vote. It's numerous small local elections that make up Parliament, not a sole national vote. That's my view!

Also I never quite get why people take in to account people who didn't vote. It means absolutely nothing.

1 minute ago, Sooky said:

Not really, as I also accept without complaint that the SNP have 56/59 seats in Scotland with half the vote. It's numerous small local elections that make up Parliament, not a sole national vote. That's my view!

Also I never quite get why people take in to account people who didn't vote. It means absolutely nothing.

You accept that because, of course, the fact that the SNP have 56 seats does not, in any meaningful way, impact or influence a Westminster Tory government.

It's easy to accept, in other words.

8 minutes ago, Sooky said:

1) Not really, as I also accept without complaint that the SNP have 56/59 seats in Scotland with half the vote. It's numerous small local elections that make up Parliament, not a sole national vote. That's my view!

2) Also I never quite get why people take in to account people who didn't vote. It means absolutely nothing.

1) That would be the SNP who have benefited from FPTP in one election ever, and continue to oppose it. In forming a government in the UK, only 2 parties can benefit from FPTP. You just happen to support the one that benefits most.

2) OK, point taken. However, are you suggesting that the Tories had over 50% if we exclude non-voters? If not, what exactly is your point?

Must try harder.

53 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

1) That would be the SNP who have benefited from FPTP in one election ever, and continue to oppose it. In forming a government in the UK, only 2 parties can benefit from FPTP. You just happen to support the one that benefits most.

On a point of order, the Tories did actually used to be hindered by FPTP because their "heartlands" were a small number of large (geographically-speaking) constituencies, while Labour had a large number of small constituencies.

It used to be that a 3 point lead for Labour gave them a majority, while the Tories would need 11 points. 

Of course, things have now changed. Scotland no longer being "in the bag" for Labour being a significant leveller. 

Archived