Scotland squad March

2 minutes ago, skippy2015 said:

The spl is really poor at present at very best on a par with with the likes of the Slovenian or Hungarian top flight. ( this is proven as we have been beaten regularly by these teams the last 20 years in europa league qualifiers etc) Our best players from spl basically get picked up by Premiership championship or league one teams because they can afford to pay double triple or quadruple the wages. Basically if the Scottish based players were any good they would get picked up from English clubs or clubs from abroad.

Your nonsense comment was rendered invalid the moment you used "SPL"

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

? Reality check.... Inverness Aberdeen and stjohnstone failed to get to the 1st round of europa league last season . Celtic got to 1st round finished bottom. Our results in Europe recently have been poor and the standard of the league has dropped massively in standard the last 20 years

Pedant. He's pretty much spot on.

I take it he's just ignoring the 10+ youth players who get stolen by English academies every season?

St Johnstone regular performers in spl dumped out by team from Armenia Inverness beaten by Astra giurgui and Aberdeen dumped out by kairat of khazakstan and you want to throw these players in against the top level of international football [emoji23] rather than the likes of Fraser Phillips Fletcher mcarthur who play against world class players week in and week out!!!

St Johnstone regular performers in spl dumped out by team from Armenia Inverness beaten by Astra giurgui and Aberdeen dumped out by kairat of khazakstan and you want to throw these players in against the top level of international football [emoji23] rather than the likes of Fraser Phillips Fletcher mcarthur who play against world class players week in and week out!!!

Seriously underestimating other leagues here tbf. I'd be perfectly happy for players playing in the Scottish Premiership to play for Scotland. Just that all the top ones that are Scottish are playing in positions we already have great depth and more quality in.

Gary hooper looked like messi in Scotland look at him now it's hard to judge is spl players are international class because of the standard. That's why scouts from prem and championship want to watch good players from st Johnstone aberdeen etc against Celtic as they get some sort of idea of how they will compete against better players.

Seriously underestimating other leagues here tbf. I'd be perfectly happy for players playing in the Scottish Premiership to play for Scotland. Just that all the top ones that are Scottish are playing in positions we already have great depth and more quality in.

I agree with you to some degree there is talent up here and almost if our best players in the past have started there careers at clubs like Motherwell Celtic Aberdeen etc. My point is that the previous poster was saying we should dump the English based players for more spl players.

7 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

6 minutes ago, skippy2015 said:

Gary hooper looked like messi in Scotland look at him now it's hard to judge is spl players are international class because of the standard. That's why scouts from prem and championship want to watch good players from st Johnstone aberdeen etc against Celtic as they get some sort of idea of how they will compete against better players.

there are 54 countries in European football were should the Scottish league be out of the 54?

Celtic are Scottish and players from celtic are in the squad,so we are a better than average league across europe

I'm not debating calling up Celtic players who play on champions league at a high standard it's calling up poorer spl players from likes of Aberdeen st Johnstone and hearts players at expense of Premiership and good championship players

2 minutes ago, skippy2015 said:

I'm not debating calling up Celtic players who play on champions league at a high standard it's calling up poorer spl players from likes of Aberdeen st Johnstone and hearts players at expense of Premiership and good championship players

Scotland are not getting the results with these premiership and championship players can't be that good?

1 minute ago, skippy2015 said:

Only fair to take Celtic out as it seems to be Aberdeen stjohnstone hearts players everyone talking up

Where are the calls for St Johnstone players inclusion? The only ones I've seen are for Liam Lindsay, Jamie Walker, Kenny McLean & Graeme Shinnie. Now, Shinnie, Walker & McLean operate in areas we're well-stocked in, but there is zero reason not to include Lindsay. Perhaps he wouldn't be good enough (I doubt it) but you're never going to find out if he's not even in the squad. 

The Scottish top flight is of a decent standard, and to dismiss it because Gary Hooper failed down south is ridiculous. Van Dijk, Wanyama, McCarthur, Robertson, McCarthy, Forster, Ki, Naismith, Fletcher, Snodrgass, Maloney etc to name a few recent ones have all made decent careers for themselves down south. That's more players than have come directly from the Irish, Welsh, Croatian etc top tiers.  

Not to memtion utter dung like Daryl Murphy, Joey Barton, Kayal, De Vries, Wallace & Johsnsen (tad harsh on him) tearing up the English Championship (the division we take most of our players from) 

They really aren't that far apart in terms of standard, so to utterly dismiss Scottidh Premiership players is ridiculous.

Didn't say to dismiss Scottish players- my point was to the poster who stated that the English Premiership players have had there chance so now dump them and call up half the Aberdeen team. zander Clark has been mentioned. For every wanyama there are 10 other spl players who have failed to make the grade down south. The very fact that you have went back 7 or 8 years and found a handful of players proves my point

11 minutes ago, skippy2015 said:

The English championship is really nothing special at all and playing in it does not automatically make you better than everyone in the Scottish Premiership. 

Archived