Scotland squad March

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cooper has done well for a high-flying (by their atandards) Leeds team this season, fine with his inclusion. Would've liked to have seen Jamie Walker replace Matt Phillips though.

Disappointing news about Matt Phillips, although I had half been expecting it after he missed West Brom's game on Saturday. 

Genuine question: Why has at least one of Phil Bardsley or Steven Whittaker not been included in this squad? Even if Strachan doesn't particularly rate either, surely both would be preferable to playing Russell Martin there - and, in turn, further depleting our already fairly mediocre options at the centre of defence. 

I'm not sure hes brilliant, but hes competent at Championship level, seems prone to brain farts though. Honestly, I've no idea how he'll do, but it makes sense to see.

Have we called up replacements for McArthur/Phillips yet? Obvious choices seem like McLean and Walker.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm not sure hes brilliant, but hes competent at Championship level, seems prone to brain farts though. Honestly, I've no idea how he'll do, but it makes sense to see.

Have we called up replacements for McArthur/Phillips yet? Obvious choices seem like McLean and Walker.

It was a 30 man squad, you think they'll bother with replacements?

On 3/14/2017 at 23:56, 1320Lichtie said:

Burke has been played. Burke in fact was called into the squad by Strachan long before anyone even knew about him!!! In fact there were people greeting about his inclusion, English born championship players in the squad kin, no enough Scottish born SPFL players I think it was.....

On 3/15/2017 at 08:21, DA Baracus said:

SPFL players?! So players from Stenhousemuir or Annan or Montrose or Edinburgh City etc?

On 3/15/2017 at 08:32, 1320Lichtie said:

No players from Hearts, Aberdeen, Hibs, Rangers etc.

On 3/15/2017 at 08:34, DA Baracus said:

So the Premiership then?

On 3/15/2017 at 08:36, 1320Lichtie said:

No.

Hibs and Rangers are/were in the Championship.

On 3/15/2017 at 08:42, DA Baracus said:

So the Premiership and a couple of players from the Championship then?

On 3/15/2017 at 08:43, 1320Lichtie said:

Or in short, SPFL players yes

I really enjoyed this.

Does my head in when folk use SPFL incorrectly, but you can't go pulling people up when they use it perfectly fine!

For what it's worth, I think Liam Lindsay should have been in the squad so that we could have a look at him vs. Canada. However, with Hanley dropping out, I've no problem with Cooper - as the more experienced player - coming into the squad.

Ideally for me the back four for the Slovenia match would now be: Tierney - Martin - Berra - Robertson.

The problem for Lindsay is he plays for a low profile Premiership team, Strachan spends his free time in England and only comes up for Old Firm games to commentate or for Inrenational weeks when he has to do his day job.

Archived