Romeo

13 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Take a dip down the leagues and there are a few clubs who would be happy to welcome you, I'm sure. Tennis Borussia, BFC Dynamo, Viktoria etc all pull in a few thousand.

i second this, BAK07 in particular couldn't have been any more welcoming when I went to see them, an absolutely fantastic wee club.

18 hours ago, Armand 2 said:

Organising a stag to Berlin in April - which seemed a great idea on paper but now finding it slightly difficult.

I've read through most of the thread and gather that Kreuzberg seems to be a good shout for bars but how have folk found nightclubs? Since telling people that I'm off to Berlin, I've heard of some nightmares that I wish I'd known before booking. 

Got one of the beer halls booked for when we arrive on the Friday night and another one for lunch time on the Saturday but don't think they'll be like the Oktoberfest style ones I had in mind (should really have checked this before confirming the location).

Is there any decent locations where there are a few bars within walking distance? Everything seems to be fairly spread out which feels like it will be a challenge when trying to herd 23 folk.

I can’t really comment on nightclubs but there are loads of areas with plenty of bars. Kreuzberg is one, plenty going on around Hackesher Markt or Neukolln and Boxhagener Platz is very lively - I think it’s also near a fair chunk of the ‘big’ nightclubs. 

If you really want the ‘Oktoberfest’ stuff there’s a huge Hofbrau beer hall near Alexanderplatz. If it’s warm enough which it should be in April there are endless beer gardens for during the day though, I’d recommend looking into them over something you can basically get in Glasgow and Edinburgh  

I can’t see how a stag in Berlin could possibly fail to be honest. Might not have an Irish bar on every corner like Prague or Amsterdam but basically anything else you want will be available within a ten minute radius. 

On 29/05/2022 at 21:19, Hampden Diehard said:

Other than Union and Hertha, Berlin sides don't get much in the way of crowds, so don't expect tours and souvenir shops there.

Think some of them have quite big latent supports that will still show up for a big game, especially BFC Dynamo. That was how it was explained to me by a Werder Bremen fan I know from Berlin who it turned out was really a Tennis Borussia fan who couldn't bring himself to support Hertha in a Bundesliga terms.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/02/2023 at 16:46, Armand 2 said:

Organising a stag to Berlin in April - which seemed a great idea on paper but now finding it slightly difficult.

I've read through most of the thread and gather that Kreuzberg seems to be a good shout for bars but how have folk found nightclubs? Since telling people that I'm off to Berlin, I've heard of some nightmares that I wish I'd known before booking. 

Got one of the beer halls booked for when we arrive on the Friday night and another one for lunch time on the Saturday but don't think they'll be like the Oktoberfest style ones I had in mind (should really have checked this before confirming the location).

Is there any decent locations where there are a few bars within walking distance? Everything seems to be fairly spread out which feels like it will be a challenge when trying to herd 23 folk.

Had been hoping to get to the Union game but was kindly told by one of the hospitality staff that there was no chance of accommodating a group of our size. As mentioned above, they seem to have a lottery for tickets and you need to be a member to be in the draw.

Warschauer platz/strasse was good for clubs when I was there in 2021, couple knock backs due to being 2 guys (you'll find this a lot, so find a group of girls and tag along to have a better shot of getting in) however we ended up in what was seen by locals as a pretty poor club, AVA, turned out to be a brilliant night, packed with people from all over Europe. 

Kreuzberg I'm not sure about with clubs, but the trams and U-Banhs run relentlessly, and if you're leaving a club before 6am in Berlin that's on you 😉 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Away for 6 days next week.  

Been twice before but had an absolute nightmare.  First time covid happened and stuff just started shutting on arrival so got to see some things but not all that much.  Second time was a day trip to get home after missing my flight from Hamburg :lol:

f**k knows what will go wrong this time.  

Spoiler

Well I split up with my (now ex) girlfriend on the run up to the trip after everything was booked so hopefully just that :lol:

I'm good for food, bars and museums but recommendation for anything else is welcome.  

Saturday will be a write off, going to see St Pauli away at Hertha so folk will be piling in for pints all day from all over, love a half 8 kick off on a Saturday night.  

Was thinking about maybe going to the handball on the Sunday, anyone been? 

Aye, it's like a mixture of basketball and 5 a sides, played it at school in Sweden, good fun to play, might get boring to watch after a bit but I'd say the same about basketball.

I've booked up to stay on the border of Kreuzberg and Neukölln for the Euros, any suggestions of bars or practicalities welcome.

Edited by welshbairn

16 hours ago, itzdrk said:

Been twice before but had an absolute nightmare.  First time covid happened and stuff just started shutting on arrival so got to see some things but not all that much.  Second time was a day trip to get home after missing my flight from Hamburg :lol:

Reveal hidden contents

Well I split up with my (now ex) girlfriend on the run up to the trip after everything was booked so hopefully just that :lol:

I'm good for food, bars and museums but recommendation for anything else is welcome.  

Saturday will be a write off, going to see St Pauli away at Hertha so folk will be piling in for pints all day from all over, love a half 8 kick off on a Saturday night.  

BAK07 are at home on the Sunday, 1pm kick off. They're a great, welcoming club.

Next Berlin trip for this forum's resident right-wing c**t and BFC Dynamo fan is in five weeks. Versus Viktoria Berlin. Random thought, anyone know the best course in Scotland for German-language lessons?

(Starting in 2024 when I have the resources.)

(I loathe a generalisation.)

Edited by Josuke Higashikata

Might have been mentioned before but I headed out to Teufelsberg in Grunewald Forrest today.  If you are a lazy c**t it's not for you as you'll be knackered from the walk there and back and just no have a good time. 

V cool place to walk about, lots of cool art and probably the best view of a city I've seen when you get to the roof. 

PXL_20230928_114619600.thumb.jpg.21e5db4625f378eb7bfcc9a92daed178.jpg

Spoiler

Fortunately I brought my own carry out as they had absolutely nothing to drink, English folk in front were asking for water and the guy was saying maybe two hours until water comes 😂

PXL_20230928_111216144.thumb.jpg.76a8b44b7915726ac19c136051b6909e.jpg

Edited by itzdrk

On 21/09/2023 at 10:35, welshbairn said:

Aye, it's like a mixture of basketball and 5 a sides, played it at school in Sweden, good fun to play, might get boring to watch after a bit but I'd say the same about basketball.

I've booked up to stay on the border of Kreuzberg and Neukölln for the Euros, any suggestions of bars or practicalities welcome.

No shortage of pubs in that area. 

Plenty boozers around Kottbusser Tor, along Oranienstrasse and in and around Weserstrasse.

You will not die of thirst.

On 20/09/2023 at 19:59, itzdrk said:

If you're still there, I'd highly recommend an ice hockey game. Eisbaren Berlin are at home on Sunday afternoon. Great atmosphere 

Screenshot_20230930_011352_Photos.thumb.jpg.01678bbad91a5e937941ee942d13cd8c.jpg

On 20/09/2023 at 19:59, itzdrk said:

Hide contents

Sunday lunchtime/afternoon in Mauerpark was my staple. Haven't been since Covid so I've no idea what's on there now, but there used to be a gigantic Flohmarkt, loads of interesting food and drink stands, free entertainment all around the park courtesy of buskers, bands, street performers etc, and if you were that way inclined the Bearpit Karaoke was always a good laugh once suitably lubricated.

Just along the road from the Bernauer Strasse wall exhibit, so you can combine the two, have a nosey at the only relatively 'as was' stretch of wall and no-man's land, look around the wall memorial museum etc. 

• 4 weeks later...

Asked this elsewhere on the Euro 2024 travel thread but might be more appropriate here. 

Quite a high chance of staying in Berlin for the Euros for two weeks, was going to see if the missus and kids (will be 4yr and 1yr old) wanted to come out for one of the weeks. I guess I want to know is this a stupid idea? Is there enough to do for kids (I see there is a zoo and aquarium, also picked Prenzlauer Berg area) too young to understand the historical stuff? Is there a glaringly obvious other choice for families in Germany I should look at instead? 

@German Jag @Stellaboz sorry thought I'd tag some German based forum users as I didn't think the chances of this being read was very high! 

4 hours ago, thistledo said:

Asked this elsewhere on the Euro 2024 travel thread but might be more appropriate here. 

Quite a high chance of staying in Berlin for the Euros for two weeks, was going to see if the missus and kids (will be 4yr and 1yr old) wanted to come out for one of the weeks. I guess I want to know is this a stupid idea? Is there enough to do for kids (I see there is a zoo and aquarium, also picked Prenzlauer Berg area) too young to understand the historical stuff? Is there a glaringly obvious other choice for families in Germany I should look at instead? 

@German Jag @Stellaboz sorry thought I'd tag some German based forum users as I didn't think the chances of this being read was very high! 

Outwith football I‘ve only been a couple of times and these were a fair while ago. Try this site for some ideas. 

https://www.visitberlin.de/en/7-insider-tips-berlin-children

5 hours ago, thistledo said:

Sorry mate I'm the wrong person to ask. I doubt they'll appreciate the historic sites at their age and I honestly don't know where would be family friendly. 

Most big cities have zoos if that helps? I reckon Berlin and Hamburg would be the best two places for you but I'd be guessing completely. 

2 hours ago, German Jag said:

Outwith football I‘ve only been a couple of times and these were a fair while ago. Try this site for some ideas. 

https://www.visitberlin.de/en/7-insider-tips-berlin-children

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

Sorry mate I'm the wrong person to ask. I doubt they'll appreciate the historic sites at their age and I honestly don't know where would be family friendly. 

Most big cities have zoos if that helps? I reckon Berlin and Hamburg would be the best two places for you but I'd be guessing completely. 

Cheers lads, was worth a try. I'll maybe just book flights back and forth if I can't figure something out.