Queen of the South v Hibernian

1st Queens home game of 2017, what better way to start than a game against the league leaders, Queens form since the last home game has improved hopefully this continues. The team will need to be at it 100% to get a result against the league strongest team/squad, it's a game am sure the manager/players and the Queens fans should all be looking forward to and a chance for the home crowd to see our new additions at palmerston for the first time.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, looking forward to this one.

It'll be my first look at the new guys and it will be good to see a decent crowd inside Palmerston, although it won't be as good as the one that should have been there right now.

We're obviously clear second favourites for this, but it's good going into it feeling that it's not necessarily the totally lost cause it would definitely have represented before Christmas.

If somehow we can get a draw then that would be a great result.Hibs are the best team in this league by a long way will I think pull away and win the league with ease.

1st chance to see the new signings play hopefully a good gane but we are not strong enough at the back to win the game.

Looks like Marciano is going to be out for a while longer after his brief return yesterday. Laidlaw seems to have done ok since he's come in, last mistake I can really remember came in the league cup defeat to Queens. 

Hope we go back to the lineup we started with vs United and Dumbarton. Width and pace up front. Holt/Graham can come off the bench for the last 15 if we need them. 

Potential for Utd to drop points against in form Dunfermline next week, could be a chance for us to increase our lead. Not won there the last few times so I'll take an eye bleeding 1-0 win. 

I would also play the same team vs United with Mcginn coming in for Commons. With it being a plastic park and Mcgeough being chocolate we might see Fyvie instead   

We've not won a home league game since before we played Hibs first time round. Although we have improved in midfield, the defence is still pretty ropey. Big ask to get anything from this.

With us picking up 7 points from 3 consecutive away games, to some extent, we can view this game a little more optimistically.

We have a decent home record against Hibs in recent times and if we can defend well we have some flair in final third that could maybe sneak us a goal on the break.

Think we will defend deep and when you do this on a plastic surface it is a big leveller.

1 hour ago, Northfield 53 said:

Has not signed for Hibs again yet but might do this week.

This is the level Hibs are at signing a player on loan who wages are 15,000  a week !!!

To be fair we would be, at most, paying 10% of that. 

It will be interesting to see if Naysmith alters the shape for this one or sticks with the tried and tested that has served us well.  There are arguments both ways but I like a manager who is flexible with his tactics.  Changing things dependent on the opposition is a clear positive in my eyes, rather than the negative it is often portrayed as.

The leaky defence is obviously the big concern but we are limited in what we can do about it.  In Mercer and Marshall we now have two full-backs who could comfortably play as wing-backs if he wanted to try a back three.  Whether that would be a good idea or not depends on whether you think an extra defender = a stronger defence, or an extra dodgy defender adds an extra weak link!

For me it's a bit of a free pass of a game.  The unexpected point at Tannadice coupled with the rescheduling and subsequent victory at Dumbarton means there is less pressure to actually get anything from this.  I'd stick with the team that has done so well of late, and you never know we might scrape a high scoring draw like the other week.

55 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

It will be interesting to see if Naysmith alters the shape for this one or sticks with the tried and tested that has served us well.  There are arguments both ways but I like a manager who is flexible with his tactics.  Changing things dependent on the opposition is a clear positive in my eyes, rather than the negative it is often portrayed as.

The leaky defence is obviously the big concern but we are limited in what we can do about it.  In Mercer and Marshall we now have two full-backs who could comfortably play as wing-backs if he wanted to try a back three.  Whether that would be a good idea or not depends on whether you think an extra defender = a stronger defence, or an extra dodgy defender adds an extra weak link!

For me it's a bit of a free pass of a game.  The unexpected point at Tannadice coupled with the rescheduling and subsequent victory at Dumbarton means there is less pressure to actually get anything from this.  I'd stick with the team that has done so well of late, and you never know we might scrape a high scoring draw like the other week.

Id be surprised but not amazed if he changes it. Three at the back is a possibility but who do you drop? You could keep Thomas and Carmichael wide and play a Chelsea-esque formation but that means one of Jacobs, Thomson or Rankine dropping out. You could, maybe, drop Carmichael and give Thomas a free-er role up front. 

8 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Id be surprised but not amazed if he changes it. Three at the back is a possibility but who do you drop? You could keep Thomas and Carmichael wide and play a Chelsea-esque formation but that means one of Jacobs, Thomson or Rankine dropping out. You could, maybe, drop Carmichael and give Thomas a free-er role up front. 

I would be surprised if Danny wasnt given the chance to make a point against Hibs. No chance Rankin or Thomson will be dropped IMO and cant see Jacobs being left out against Hibs. I presume Marshall will come back in if fit and there will be a question over Mercer or Hamill on the other side but I would be reasonably surprised if the formation changes. We shall see......

Archived