St Johnstone v Partick Thistle

jagfox

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasn't there today and won't be there for another couple games minimum. But looked at our starting 11 and thought imo that's pretty much us at our strongest. Very disappointed to lose. Not sure how the game went and whether it was deserved or what

Don't think we quite out-St Johnstone'd St Johnstone today but it was along those lines, the 3 at the back does limit them while not creating much and turning the game into a punting shitfest, but we needed to score first for that to work, which (obviously) we did.

No failures in a red and yellow jersey today, Welsh the pick for me (his stupid booking aside) in an unfamiliar position, Azeez is brilliant on the basis that he doesn't get any chances to miss as he does pretty much everything else in the centre forward role so well. Amoo made more tackles in the first half today than the rest of his Thistle career.

shout out to the ref for being utter honkytonk for both sides, denied Saints two good advantages in the second half, and managed to ignore Davidson sliding in and dragging the ball for about 5 yards with his left hand which led to Alston's missed chance in the second half, as well as Anderson's chokeslam on Azeez in the first half.

That steak and chorizo pie tho :thumsup2

8 minutes ago, getdoon said:

Saints and Scotland having dead rubbers until their respective next campaigns (while obviously not completely negative from a Saints point of view) would be extremely dull.

There's always the option of Hibsing it. Maybe not arithmetically possible before the split but you could give it a go.

4 hours ago, Radford said:

I'd be interested to know what more Saints fans expected from the team in the second half? What should the players or TW have done differently? Contrast our performance with what Thistle produced (yes, in the face of our approach) last week. We largely avoided going long and created openings and efforts on goal. Can't help but feel there is an overreaction occurring.

Best stay off WAP.

There's folk giving up on football :(

Saint's supporters restoring my faith in sportsmanship and if you don't mind me saying so you are more fulsome in your praise than many Jags supporters. To be honest, I don't think we were able to play our best today. Mainly due to injuries etc. Nonetheless, I thought it was a competent and professional performance. So long as we avoid Aberdeen or Celtic we stand a good chance of further progression.

13 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Why just assess the second half though?

That was a winnable (though not easy) cup match at home and I can hardly remember us forcing any decent saves from their goalkeeper.

When taken into consideration, I think the second half makes the reaction to the result and performance a bit hysterical. I accept that how many saves the opposition goalkeeper makes is usually a useful measure and our finishing could have been better but in the second half you look at, particularly, the MacLean and Kane volleys and Alston curler, plus Alston, Craig and Foster all getting efforts on target and we were knocking at the door. As I said, I compare it to what Thistle produced at at Firhill (after a strong first half) and there's a noticeable difference. With respect to them, that was gutless and aimless, what Saints produced yesterday wasn't.

13 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

They sat in around their box and made it difficult, but we played the ball across in front of them a lot without getting in behind, with the exception of Alston who tried it a few times after he came on. Far too often we seemed to kill any momentum going forward until all that was left was a hopeful ball forward.

We started the second half brighter, but after they weathered it why not try a change of formation.  They only had one up front for a lot of the game, so why not go 3 at the back and push an extra man into midfield, or further forward.  I also felt Kane on for Cummins might have been done earlier.

I thought we largely resisted the hopeful ball forward, especially after Craig and Kane came on, when that would have been the easy option. I think we do that generally these days, as in contrast to the overreaction there has been, I actually think we are a decent side at the moment. We were defending with effectively just two at the back for large spells of the second half, so I'm not sure a change in formation was required, especially with the players we have. Kane could have been on earlier and he did better than Cummins but how fit was he after his spell out?

13 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Kane should've been on far earlier. Back threes can only be broken by someone going in behind, and neither Cummins or MacLean are quick enough to be dangerous.

Every punt to Cummins seen one go with him, while the other two sat deeper waiting for the flick on. It was really simple for them to sweep up attacks, especially in the second half when their two wide men also sat deep.

The change at HT was designed to get us in behind down the side and Alston did that almost instantly. It's interesting that the Thistle fans are praising Welsh as I felt all our joy came down that side rather than with Swanson and Easton up against Edwards.

Not sure there was ever going to be much chance of getting in behind the back three in the second half. The full backs were surely key as they were the spare men, yet folk are saying Foster was arguably our best player, so obviously they think he was doing his job but also that tactically were taking the right approach against a resolute defence? I'd accept there wasn't enough good deliveries and also that MacLean didn't have a good game.

There are things that the team can be criticised for yesterday, it was by no means a good performance but coming on here after the game with an open mind, my first instinct was that the reaction I was reading from Saints fans was overly harsh. I don't particularly want to defend the whole performance but couldn't just join in with the criticism when I thought it was largely over the top.

To be fair, a great point made on WAP that George Hunter is the key to success. No matter the fact he hasn't done anything when he was out on loan, the fact he's young means he should be playing regardless of ability iwapho.

Craig Thomson apparently deserves a chance on the right aswell, because a winger who couldn't get into Peterheads best side this season delivering crosses to a striker who couldn't score for Airdrie would surely see us score goals.

14 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

It was a certain red, to me anyway. We've seen with Motherwell that players, who leave the ground studs up, directly towards a player, get sent off these days.

A certain red? Come on. The player didn't have control of the ball and it was sat there ready to be won. Swanson put a robust tackle in, he wasn't high or dangerous. Yes he went in at speed but he didn't catch the player who i think made a right meal of it.

Wasn't even a foul in my opinion.

As for the performance. We've played a lot worse this season than we did in that second half. Alston improved us and if I'm honest id rather see Craig in the middle of the park in games we are trying to win (and we have a lot of th4 ball) than Davidson as he doesn't contribute to build up play at all. Davidson is brilliant when we are defending or when we are in a tight game but trying to break teams down, not for me. 

I was angry about the first half. Second half I thought we did enough to get a replay so I'm not that bothered. Was just one of these games. Thistle  ( and the rest of the bottom six) know exactly how to play Saints at McD. Tommy needs to address that. 

21 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Craig Thomson apparently deserves a chance on the right aswell, because a winger who couldn't get into Peterheads best side this season delivering crosses to a striker who couldn't score for Airdrie would surely see us score goals.

Fans holding onto hope of a diamond emerging from the academy is nothing new and certainly  not restricted to WAP. Fans will always hold out that extra bit of hope that a young Perth lad will come in and do a Stevie May. It's normal to be blinded by this. You make out that WAP is some sort of subculture. It's just a normal football forum with normal fans saying things normal fans say. 

You hear it in the stands every week. We all get carried away at times and are totally blinded/blinkered by our support for our club. That leads us to invariably talk shite. You too, believe it or not ;)

44 minutes ago, Duszek said:

This sportmanship from the SuperJ's has me regretting my earlier pic, which displayed them as inbred hillbillies. So I'm replacing it with:

Farming-family-%C2%A9Rex-Shutterstock.jp

What sportsmanship? We got what we deserved from the game and so did Thistle, who were better than us on the day.

For all that some of our fans are saying we played well in the second half, we still didn't reach Thistle's level of incisiveness.

Thistle created three good chances and scored one. All of them were closer than anything we managed to do.

But for our keeper it would have been 3-0.

Yup, Clark had some great saves. Did anyone catch who was awarded MOTM? I'd struggle to pick out a Thistle player, tbh. Largely down to it being a decent team performance without a failure. Clark would be the obvious shout for St Johnstone.

Yup, Clark had some great saves. Did anyone catch who was awarded MOTM? I'd struggle to pick out a Thistle player, tbh. Largely down to it being a decent team performance without a failure. Clark would be the obvious shout for St Johnstone.

Ricky Foster got MoM.

Personally I thought he was poor until the final 20 minutes, but who am I.

Archived