RIP John Hurt

EdgarusQPFC

He played Chris Mullin, the former Labour MP who wrote a book about, and campaigned for the release of the Birmingham Six in the ITV mini series 'Who Bombed Birmingham'.

Will always think of him when I see an alien burst out of someones chest. RIP

His role in Alien and 1984 were my favourites from him. The chest buster scene from Alien is brutal apparently the rest of the cast didn't know what was about to happen. One of his speeches from 1984 starts the song Faster by the Manic Street Preachers which I've heard so many times.

Can also remember him in a show for kids called the story teller or something similar. It was Hurt and a puppet dog explaining some of the Greek mythology stories. Can remember watching it as a kid and finding all the mythology really interesting.

Seems to be the week for the last of certain great groups of their age passing - Tam Dalyell's passing meant the last of Parliament's esteemed "Goon Show" of Benn, Dalyell, Foot & Powell have gone; & with Hurt vanishes the last of that quintet Burton, Harris, O'Toole & Reed whose outrageousness off screen was matched by their preposterous talent on screen & stage. Hurt always looked more like the first to go, ironic he should prove the last.

His strength was he could turn his talent to absolutely anything & be brilliant at it, from heavy drama such as 10 Rillington Place & The Elephant Man to family stuff like the Harry Potter series. Like Burton, his intonation & delivery lent an extra gravity to those narration pieces he delivered so that merely having him seen but not heard could be enough to make you want to watch what otherwise would not have been of interest.

Archived