Dundee United v Raith Rovers 4th Feb - BBC Alba

A massive game for us at home against a Raith side low on confidence. Surely we get a win here? I think we will see our lowest home gate of the season, a mixture of TV and some fans now choosing that with the title race all but over then skipping games is okay (already seen a few who are refusing to go next Saturday because of Thompson and our league position).

I would probably just about keep the same starting eleven from the Dunfermline game, maybe Van der Velden or Murray to play out wide instead of Spittal.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, stumigoo said:

A massive game for us at home against a Raith side low on confidence. Surely we get a win here? I think we will see our lowest home gate of the season, a mixture of TV and some fans now choosing that with the title race all but over then skipping games is okay (already seen a few who are refusing to go next Saturday because of Thompson and our league position).

I would probably just about keep the same starting eleven from the Dunfermline game, maybe Van der Velden or Murray to play out wide instead of Spittal.

I'd have Telfer back in for Toshney, otherwise keep it the same.  Toshney did OK yesterday but I still think Telfer offers more when partnering Flood.

Van der Velden is worse than Spittal IMO and though Murray would be a better choice it removes the option of using him as an impact player.

45 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I'd have Telfer back in for Toshney, otherwise keep it the same.  Toshney did OK yesterday but I still think Telfer offers more when partnering Flood.

Van der Velden is worse than Spittal IMO and though Murray would be a better choice it removes the option of using him as an impact player.

Telfer certainly offers more on the ball. With Raith being quite low on confidence it might be a good game to have our players who are good in possession playing over guys like Toshney (who as you said did pretty well yesterday). VdV is a strange one, he has been pretty hopeless but again it might be quite a good game to have him in for keeping possession.

Can't see anything but a home win. I'd love to be optimistic, but I've got no faith in our manager to deliver a result. Last time we came up to Tannadice, we had a stand full of fans thinking "fucking hell, we've came back from 2-0 down and it isn't so bad". Aside from a 4-2 win over Falkirk, there's been very few positives since then. 

3 minutes ago, rw89 said:

Can't see anything but a home win. I'd love to be optimistic, but I've got no faith in our manager to deliver a result. Last time we came up to Tannadice, we had a stand full of fans thinking "fucking hell, we've came back from 2-0 down and it isn't so bad". Aside from a 4-2 win over Falkirk, there's been very few positives since then. 

Locke won't leave without a push the board won't give, we're not clear of relegation, we're almost certainly heading for the wrong playoffs. The best we can hope for is to squeeze enough points to ensure safety.

Locke's entire season has been saved by 'results' and better performances against 'bigger' names. But after Saturday I can't see where another result will come from.

Don't laugh, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Rovers managed to pull off a draw here... Sounds delusional / miraculous I know! Gary Locke somehow manages to fire up the team in an attempt to cling on to his job / win the backing of the fans by sticking one to Ray McKinnon etc.... Ensuring that the board can turn a blind eye to everything for a wee bit longer, allowing our misery to continue.

3 hours ago, Martin Nelson said:

I can only assume that the financial cost is what is keeping him in a job. 10 league games without a win and matches against the top 3 coming up.

Similar run at the same time the previous season was it no under McKinnon, one league win in around a dozen games, then came good in February. 

Tho it seems much more messier this season.

Similar run at the same time the previous season was it no under McKinnon, one league win in around a dozen games, then came good in February. 

Think it was one in twelve yeah.

The difference is McKinnon used January to clear out some deadwood and signed a few players who took us to another level going forward.

Locke has already played his hand this transfer window and apart from Hardie it already looks like a disaster.

3 hours ago, stumigoo said:

Maybe Raith and United fans can bond over their shared hatred of the boards?

Well, your board wanted McKinnon which meant we ended up with Locke, so happy to give them a good boo. 

Won't surprise me if we get a draw here, since we seem to raise ourselves in the bigger games. Even if we do, it changes nothing in that Locke's time is up. 

58 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Huge difference this time around. Last season, we had massive injury problems in the first half of the season, but by the time we reached this point we'd lost Daly to Hearts and Wighton went back to Dundee leaving us with no fit forwards against Alloa. We'd had a tricky run of games but even against Dumbarton we still managed to get a point. We signed some excellent players in January too. Aidan Connolly and Louis Longridge were superb at this level, offering width and creativity. Hardie and Stewart formed a good partnership up top. Even the likes of Harry Panayioutou added more than Daly and Wighton. 

The thing was, that the overwhelming majority of fans backed McKinnon. With Locke, there's nothing to suggest anything positive. If we lose goals, his only thought process is to throw on more forwards or change the wingers. Ray had shown on various occasions an ability to read the game and knew when to make changes. It was clear from the number of games we came back to either win (Morton at home twice, and away once where we got 90th minute goals, St Mirren on the Friday night game) are two examples that stick out. 

While Hardie has been an excellent signing, some of the others have been bizarre. Scott Roberts has scored one goal, but generally done f**k all else. We sell Rangers a promising young defender, and Roberts conveniently ends up back with us. Skacel keeps getting game time despite his legs being gone. I was surprised we dropped Jordan Thompson after his horror shows against Hearts. There's very little rhyme or reason to it.  

Fucking hell, I'd completely forgotten about loaning out Vaughan to a club 4 points below us (who after beating us yesterday are down to a point) in order to bring in Ryan Fucking Stevenson. 

Archived