Ross County v Motherwell 31/1/17

It's currently -2.5C in a fog-enshrouded Dingwall.  Today's u20 match has been called off.  The forecast looks better for later today and tomorrow.  I'm hoping the undersoil heating doesn't need to be used, because the pitch is in decent nick at the moment.

Scott McDonald will be suspended, which is good from my point of view.  Jay McEveley should have had a red card for a similar but more dangerous tackle in County's loss at Kilmarnock.

I don't know if McIntyre will shake up the team a little, surely there will be a big temptation to.  The team that started the last two matches:

Fox

Fraser Quinn McEveley VdW

Chow

Routis Woods

Boyce    Schalk    Dow

Jim O'Brien is knocking on the door of the starting XI, he didn't have quite the impact he had against Dundee United but he still played some good passes, particularly to feed Michael Gardyne on the left.  I'm not convinced by Tim Chow as the sitting midfielder (yet... he's still very inexperienced but clearly has talent), but there isn't anyone better for the role.  I like the 4-3-3 system but Boyce looked a bit frustrated at Killie when he wasn't getting the ball.

Kenny Van der Weg got a chasing by Chris Cadden in the 4-1 match at Fir Park.  I would like to say he has improved a lot since then because he generally has, but he is prone to not getting tight enough to wingers and he wasn't getting close enough to Jordan Jones to stop crosses coming in vs Killie.

If I were McIntyre, I'd be tempted to drop one of the midfielders and go 4-4-1-1 with O'Brien and Gardyne on the wings.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McDonald's suspension is a massive blow for us. The difference he made to Moult's game when he came on at Ibrox and the first 26mins on Saturday was clear.

I suppose it depends on whether anyone comes in or leaves today but I'd imagine we'd be going with a 442. Frear struggled when he came on at the weekend but if it's a choice between him and #superjoechalmers in the wide left berth I'd give the new guy a shot.

Given Heneghan and McManus have been ever presents thus far I can't really see Jules getting a start. Lucas should be available again after his suspension and I'd honestly rather see him in the centre of the park with McHugh than Clay. Chances are it'll be Clay who starts though.

Unless there's been a radical change of heart from McGhee re: Ainsworth I'd imagine Bowman will get his chance alongside Moult. Mackin's away on loan and Blyth has disappeared off the face of the earth and Moult is hugely limited as a lone striker.

Samson

Tait Heneghan McManus Hammell

Cadden Lucas McHugh Frear

Moult Bowman

Edit: on reflection a 352 might not be that wild a shout with Frear being used off the bench.

Samson

Heneghan McManus Jules

Tait Cadden Lucas McHugh McMillan

Moult Bowman

7 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

McDonald's suspension is a massive blow for us. The difference he made to Moult's game when he came on at Ibrox and the first 26mins on Saturday was clear.

I suppose it depends on whether anyone comes in or leaves today but I'd imagine we'd be going with a 442. Frear struggled when he came on at the weekend but if it's a choice between him and #superjoechalmers in the wide left berth I'd give the new guy a shot.

Given Heneghan and McManus have been ever presents thus far I can't really see Jules getting a start. Lucas should be available again after his suspension and I'd honestly rather see him in the centre of the park with McHugh than Clay. Chances are it'll be Clay who starts though.

Unless there's been a radical change of heart from McGhee re: Ainsworth I'd imagine Bowman will get his chance alongside Moult. Mackin's away on loan and Blyth has disappeared off the face of the earth and Moult is hugely limited as a lone striker.

Samson
Cadden Lucas McHugh Frear
Moult Bowman

I agree r.e. Lucas and Clay. Every time I see Clay I'm more meh about him. Admittedly I've only been to about 4 games this season, am I missing games where he's been better?

My choice would be:

Samson (just)

Lucas McHugh

Ainsworth Cadden Frear

Moult

From what I gather that formation hasn't worked that great for us in the past and there's no chance McGhee would go for it. I'm really curious to see how Cadden would play in a more infield role though plus Lionel deserves a fucking chance. For a man whose scored some of our most memorable goals from the last few years, it'd be such a shame to see him leave the club with a whimper.

27 minutes ago, Mr Hahn said:

I agree r.e. Lucas and Clay. Every time I see Clay I'm more meh about him. Admittedly I've only been to about 4 games this season, am I missing games where he's been better?

If you think he's "meh" after 4 matches you must have seen the better side of him.

24 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

We've appealed McDonald's red card, so he'll be available for this game.

Didn't think it was a red at the match and the TV pictures didn't change my mind.

Kiernan's tackle was worse than McDonalds.

1 hour ago, Ron Aldo said:

I thought McDonald's was a red but I'm guessing we're appealing on the grounds that Kiernan was only given a yellow for something similar.

Or ii it because they want him for what they see as a more winnable game than the next one against Hearts?

1 minute ago, Staggie52 said:

Or ii it because they want him for what they see as a more winnable game than the next one against Hearts?

I'd have said that it's probably both tbh. I'd have thought the appeal could go either way. I wouldn't be massively surprised to see it downgraded to a yellow card offence.

2 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

If you think he's "meh" after 4 matches you must have seen the better side of him.

Hah! Fair enough. I just remember a few weeks back watching the sort of half season review video on Motherwell's youtube and they were almost raving about him and I was sitting watching thinking I must have been missing a trick.

I'd leave out Moult for this one, and give Bowman 90 minutes to show us what he can do.  Partly because Moult was clearly carrying an injury on Saturday so we need to be careful with him, and partly, it'll be amazing to see Steelmen Online go into meltdown with Moult being left out of the squad on deadline day.  Cadden needs a rest too, so tempted to leave him out.

Is Lucas back, or was that a three game ban?  If he's fit, i'd get him in.  

5-3-2/3-5-2 (however you want to spin it)

Samson;  Tait Heneghan McManus Jules McMillan;  Lucas McHugh Lasley;  McDonald Bowman.

Ross County 1-3 Motherwell (McDonald, Lucas & substitute Frear)

Is Lucas back from suspension?

County's January signings look good on paper and they pumped the DABs but at the same time they let Killie score three goals so I'm not sure how this is going to go. Hopefully we can keep Boyce quiet.

They look weak at left back and I'd play Ainsworth ahead of Cadden for this one. I'd also start McHugh and Campbell central midfield unless Lucas is back. Tempted to put Jules in to replace McManus or Hammell. McGhee will still start SuperJoe for reasons unknown.

weather.PNG

Mist again :unsure:

The closer we get to the game the less optimistic I am of a Ross County win.  The back four make too many basic errors.  Maybe Andrew Davies will return to the defence, but if he was injured with a calf strain for the last game then I think it is unlikely he will be available three days later.

21 hours ago, Desp said:

I'd leave out Moult for this one, and give Bowman 90 minutes to show us what he can do.  Partly because Moult was clearly carrying an injury on Saturday so we need to be careful with him, and partly, it'll be amazing to see Steelmen Online go into meltdown with Moult being left out of the squad on deadline day.  Cadden needs a rest too, so tempted to leave him out.

Is Lucas back, or was that a three game ban?  If he's fit, i'd get him in.  

5-3-2/3-5-2 (however you want to spin it)

Samson;  Tait Heneghan McManus Jules McMillan;  Lucas McHugh Lasley;  McDonald Bowman.

Ross County 1-3 Motherwell (McDonald, Lucas & substitute Frear)

This is a hell of an important game to leave 2 of our better players out tbf, or am I being whoosed? 

Also got a funny feeling we'll play 3-5-2. Going along in more hope than expectation, the way the last couple of games have panned out. With our run of fixtures coming up we really need some points here though...

Not whoosed. They are of course very important players for Motherwell, but they're not fit.  Cadden has been struggling for weeks, and Moult was visibly struggling on Saturday from 50 minutes onwards.  A number of times I noticed he was holding the back of his leg in apparent pain.

It's going to be a tough end to the season.  We need to get these guys in top shape to get us away from trouble.  Also, we need to put faith in the squad.  The guys who haven't featured much (like Bowman) need to show they can step up and be counted as and when required.

2 minutes ago, Desp said:

Not whoosed. They are of course very important players for Motherwell, but they're not fit.  Cadden has been struggling for weeks, and Moult was visibly struggling on Saturday from 50 minutes onwards.  A number of times I noticed he was holding the back of his leg in apparent pain.

It's going to be a tough end to the season.  We need to get these guys in top shape to get us away from trouble.  Also, we need to put faith in the squad.  The guys who haven't featured much (like Bowman) need to show they can step up and be counted as and when required.

It would be fucking magic to see the nuclear level of meltdown on Steelmen Online if they were both rested for no other reason than injury. 

I haven't seen Bowman play yet, so if for no other reason than that, I suppose it'd be good to see him in the flesh tonight. 

If Cadden's and Moult injuries aren't too serious I'd prefer to see their rest come in the Celtic fixture, as realistically we have very little chance of getting anything from that anyway. 

Archived