Ross County v Motherwell 31/1/17

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Partick to beat St J tomorrow?  Tricky one to predict.

Thistle are going well - so who knows. 7 points ahead of ICT with a game in hand is more important though....

As usual a high pressing team cause County all sorts of problems at the back and cause our midfield to get completely bogged down in trying to process quick ball. County's two new signings did well coming on as subs but no particular stand outs overall. It probably says much for the game in Scotland that  McDonald was comfortably the most effective player for the entire 90 minutes and was key to Well's three points.

Jesus and I thought our defence was bad...

Decent team performance by Motherwell. We started with Carl Mchugh on left wing, which nullified any sort of threat we had on that side, County realised this and concentrated on doubling up on Cadden on the right. Luckily for us, County were fucking atrocious at the back, so it didn't really matter.

Mchugh moved into the middle 2nd half and that improved his performance markedly. McDonald I thought was a class above up top, even if at times he didn't look completely motivated.

Thought we were the better of the 2 teams and had a more solid shape, yet County probably had enough chances 2nd half to feel they could have taken something.

In the opening exchanges I thought County were the better team, knocking the ball around nicely.  But as the back-line, Fox and Chow doddled on the ball, Motherwell were encouraged to press up the park and make some half-chances.  Chow was effectively splitting the centre-backs but wasn't demanding the ball anywhere near as effectively as he should have.  It's a shame there isn't a Paul Lawson or Ruben Palazuelos in the squad when you need them.  Quinn looked ropey and Routis kept mindlessly passing to Motherwell players as he is prone to do, and it felt like a matter of time before Motherwell would get behind the defence to score.

County changed from the 4-3-3 to 4-4-2 after 20ish minutes, aiming to go more direct.  Boyce started getting involved more readily and the shape suited the team more, even if O'Brien looked a uncomfortable on the left and Routis on the right.  County were starting to get a hold of the game again when McEveley produced an overdue clanger to gift McDonald a one-on-one.

Thankfully, Samson got caught under a looping header from McEveley to get the game to 1-1, with the game more competitive going into half-time but I thought Motherwell were still slightly the better team.  It was a poor set-play that McEveley somehow managed to salvage a header from, I don't know how the keeper lost the flight of it though.

County's double-sub at half-time gave them better width, with Lalkovic on the left, O'Brien on the right and Naismith coming on to play at right-back.  Lalkovic looked bright and creative, I like the look of him and he is always looking for the ball, but he overplayed on a few occasions.  Naismith brings more going forward than Fraser.  It was a poor goal to lose at the corner kick - I can't help but think Davies would have got that first header.

In the middle portion of the second half I thought County made enough opportunities that they should have scored an equaliser.  Samson parried a shot across the goal mouth but the ball didn't fall kindly.  Gardyne should have shot early when played in on the right.  Woods should have done a lot better with shots that were teed up for him at 20 yards.  But if they keep conceding really poor goals every single match then they're not going to get anything from games and certainly don't deserve a go at being in the top six again.

I don't think Motherwell were outstanding, but they did the job.  McDonald and Moult linked up with one another really well, McDonald was effortless in the way he took the pressure off his team and kept the game moving.  Cadden tried to have a good go at Van der Weg, who stood up to Cadden better than the last time but Cadden was still a decent outlet for them.  McHugh, Lasley and Lucas weren't a dynamic trio but kept the ball moving and put in a hell of a lot of blocks and interceptions, as did McManus.  Samson didn't have too many saves to make in the second half but that's because the midfield in front of them stood up to the pressure so well.

There is a lot to be miffed at, but we've seen County gift games away like that so many times in the last 12 months that it doesn't annoy me as maybe it should!  My biggest disappointment of the night is that McIntyre barely even tried to test Hammell, who had a 'mare the last time he was up here.  That last game in Dingwall was Jonathan Franks's best game for County IMO and they should have had someone run at Hammell again - the squad is full of wingers now, so there was no excuse, especially with McHugh in front of Hammell.  Instead Boyce was isolated out there when he wanted to come inside, then Routis was put out there but didn't want to be there.  In the second half O'Brien and later Gardyne were used against him and Naismith got forward plenty, but most of the play was happening on the left.

I've probably defended Paul Quinn on here more than others but I'm failing to see what he is bringing to the team now.  Davies's return won't cure all of the defence's problems but it would be a start.

Archived