Motherwell v Heart of Midlothian - 4th February, 2017

Third game on the box in a week for the Hertz. Important that we keep the momentum gained from our win absolute demolition job against the **** going before the all-important derby in the cup next Sunday.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got a feeling that McGhee will change to 5 in midfield rather than giving bowman a go. Which is fine as long as it's frear/Pearo on the wing rather than Joe. I'd like to see Ainsworth start and I wouldn't mind Jules starting at left back.

I've no idea about hearts. They had a good result but my tarts supporting mate says there not up to much away. If we keep Walker quiet I think we can win.

17 minutes ago, The Grass Is Greener. said:

It's like someone has flicked a switch and now Paulo is the most optimistic Hearts fan on the forum. Some turnaround from only a week ago :lol:

That's what happens when you finally show some ambition in the transfer market instead of signing useless huddy cunts like Conor Sammon. PowttJS.gif

First of all congratulations to Hearts. That result and performance the other night was beautiful and I think an utter humiliation of Rangers on national television is something we can all get behind.

As for this, I've no idea how it'll go. Our business in the window has been really positive and we seem to have addressed a lot of the imbalance that has been obvious in the squad. Thought it was interesting that Jules came on for Hammell and played left back, it'd actually make a lot of sense if we'd brought him in as an option at LB rather just as cover for centre half as I can't see McManus being dropped and though I'm not totally sold on Heneghan I don't see us breaking up that partnership just yet. Alan Burrows had also gone on record saying it was the left side of the park we were specifically looking to address. Either way having a 6' 3" unit at full back seems like not a bad idea.

Question is really how we replace McDonald, I reckon Moult and Bowman are pretty similar but if clown shoes doesn't get a shot now when there's a legitimate reason for one for our first choice front pair not playing then I'm not sure when he will. I wouldn't be against Ainsworth getting a shot up front partnering Moult but I doubt it'll happen.

Assuming he's got a reasonable level of fitness I'd start Pearson and bring Frear on after about 65 mins.

Samson

Tait Heneghan McManus Jules

Cadden Lucas McHugh Pearson

Bowman Moult

A win would be nice but give our previous results against Hearts this season have been 3-1 and 3-0 scuddings I'd be happy enough with a point.

Am hoping we keep up the momentum. Same attitude required w/ a bit more tightness at the back. Noticed that Raith followed up their heroics against us by losing to Dumbarton.

It looks like Sam and Walker are hitting a wee run of form and there seemed to be more understanding between the players against Rangers with new boys like Martin and Struna linking up well with teammates. Look forward to seeing more of 'the big Greek boy' and Goncalves.

Am I the only one that thinks it's an absolute stick on that'll be Clay in for McDonald? Seen people touting Pearson, Bowman, Frear or Ainsworth but I'd be fairly shocked if McGhee doesn't bring Clay back in and shove 5 across the middle of the park for this one. 

Our record against the top 5 teams is atrocious, 1 point taken from a possible 27. Would be a bit more confident if McDonald was available but as I said above, in his absence I have a horrible feeling we'll end up with 5 in the middle of the park, leaving Moult isolated up top to fend for himself. You only have to watch our last two performances against Rangers to see we're a different team when McDonald's on the park and how massively he'll be missed here.

Would love to be proved wrong but I think Hearts will have a bit too much for us here.

1 minute ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Main thing to do is shoot as much as possible and let our main dangerman, Craig Samson, win the game for us.

Harsh, but true.

I'm looking forward to this one.  Hearts will rightly go into the game as favourites after their tremendous performance on Wednesday night.  A few of the new guys look the real deal, so it'll be good to see them close up.  

One thing I noted on Wednesday was the poor state of the Tynecastle pitch.  Ironic, I know, that a Motherwell fan is going on about the state of a pitch but I'm sure those who will see the game on Saturday will realise the Fir Park surface is fantastic these days.  It should suit the Hearts players going forward.

I honestly have no idea what McGhee will do for this one as McDonald is out.  Throwing in Bowman seems like a straight swap, but neither Moult or Bowman can link the middle to front like McDonald can.  A few shouts on SO about playing Ainsworth off Moult, taking away need for defensive responsibility.  It's a decent shout, but I can't see McGhee going for it.  Perhaps Frear may come in, with him and Cadden supporting Moult from wide areas.  Lucas, McHugh and Lasley in the middle.

I'd bite your hand off for a point.  1-1. 

Hopefully Hearts have used up the 'great goal at Fir Park' quota for this season.  We had Sow last season and Paterson this.  

I'd go with Bowman. He adds a physical nature to our forward play that could really be a benefit. He looked like a different player in the whole six minutes before Aberdeen's lights fell down. 

Unleash him.

Can understand Casagolda's point about Clay being a stick on to replace McDonald given McGhee's habit for contrariness.

That said I think it's notable that Lucas came straight back into the side on Tuesday following his suspension. That's the last four games he's been available for he's started, maybe reading a bit too much into it but it seems relevant.

Given Clay has (rightly or wrongly) been an ever present this season and McGhee seems to like him, it seemed significant that he was benched for the first time with almost a full compliment of midfielders to choose from.

Also, McGhee tried Clay as a replacement for McDonald at Ibrox and it patently didn't work in a game that resulted in McGhee's subsequent post-match breakdown.

I tend to agree with Casagolda - given that McGhee doesn't appear to have much faith in Ainsworth and Bowman is too similar to Moult, I can see a defensive replacement for McDonald. This will be a hard game, but Hearts have been far from invincible recently and it remains to be seen if their brilliant result the other night means a turnaround in form. We've got Aberdeen and Celtic away after this, so we could really do with taking something here....

Would it be that outrageous a shout to ask Moult to step into McDonald's deep lying role and have him playing off Bowman? There's not a lot to go on but looking back to the Accies game there were moments where it seemed to work reasonably well with Bowman as the target man, not least the first goal and the one that was incorrectly ruled offside.

Not much has really worked for Bowman since but the idea of playing Moult up top on his own is one I'd rather we avoid because it's not really his game.

Archived