Next Rangers Manager

46 minutes ago, weejoeharper said:

I'd still be surprised if he went to Ibrox. The money would be higher but not by much at the moment as The Rangers are very poor. He'd need to start again, with a very low quality set of players and would need to work with some very toxic people. He'd be up against a set of fans who don't really want him, don't rate him and don't like him. Why would he do that? He'd be nuts to take on that job. The Rangers fans want a world famous manager, someone in their minds to compare to the Celtic one although talk to Liverpool fans and they don't really rate BR. 

Being a football manager is so precarious and potentially short term, that I think anyone would make a move that would lead to a much bigger salary.

The fact that it's a bigger club with the potential to achieve more than the others, would also be persuasive.

Of course the Rangers job is less appealing than it's been, but it would still be seductive for anyone in our game, aside from Rodgers.

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're right in that a lot of managers would love to manage at Rangers but I still don't think McInnes would. I'm completely biased though. I want him to stay.

McLeish is the man, his growling voice perfect for the hordes. A Rangers man! A good man! He's the man I think. Or Davies, slightly sweaty looking, I've always thought he's been up to no good just before his picture is taken.

7 minutes ago, weejoeharper said:

You're right in that a lot of managers would love to manage at Rangers but I still don't think McInnes would. I'm completely biased though. I want him to stay.

McLeish is the man, his growling voice perfect for the hordes. A Rangers man! A good man! He's the man I think. Or Davies, slightly sweaty looking, I've always thought he's been up to no good just before his picture is taken.

I think there's a very good chance that it'll be McLeish.

It would please lots of fans and be cheap.  I think that probably ticks the two biggest boxes.

3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I'm not ashamed to admit if mcinnes does go there I will have the mother of all heads gones and probably do a Paulo and disappear from here for 6 months

I get that it would be galling to see your manager leave for Rangers.

Is he that good that it would be a massive loss though?  Genuine question.

I get that it would be galling to see your manager leave for Rangers.
Is he that good that it would be a massive loss though?  Genuine question.

I would see it as a massive loss yes.

Don't think he gets enough credit for the work he's doing with us.

He has his faults and I don't think for a second he'll go on to become the next mourinho but I think we as a club will be worse off when he leaves.

I could give you the long version of why I value him so highly but I suspect no one is that interested.

Many fellow dons fans will disagree with me though.

Davies - Compensation too much and been out game too long

Mcleish - probably same issue, also been there done it and not too successfully , not tactically aware

McInnes - Why ?????????

Shout for Barry Ferguson and Lee McCulloch  ?????????????????

Comments ???? 

12 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I would see it as a massive loss yes.

Don't think he gets enough credit for the work he's doing with us.

He has his faults and I don't think for a second he'll go on to become the next mourinho but I think we as a club will be worse off when he leaves.

I could give you the long version of why I value him so highly but I suspect no one is that interested.

Many fellow dons fans will disagree with me though.

I'd welcome the longer version.

For me, from an admitted distance, he's done fine at Aberdeen.

They might have won more Cups than the lesser one they scraped under him though.  They also really had a chance in the League last season, but failed to push it.

Certainly better than lots of Aberdeen managers, but not one who's achieved things beyond what might reasonably be anticipated of a successor.  He did get to manage during an incredibly fortunate spell, which saw three of the the five biggest clubs out of the picture.

The last few times I've heard McLeish talk he sounds awful, really sounds like he is 'losing it', a real shame. Regardless what you think of his record I have huge doubts over whether he is in a fit state to manage a club like Rangers again.

Have to agree with you. Doesn't seem to know who plays for which team etc.

Bound to be a spectacular fuck up which would be highly entertaining.

3 minutes ago, The Tedi said:

It will not be Mcinnes, despite what some are saying on here, he would not be a popular choice with many Rangers fans, dunno why because I think he would do a decent job, however a quick look at FF shows just how many are against it.  The compensation package would also be too high and Aberdeen are likely to hold out for every penny rather than let him go to a club they are battling for a very lucrative 2nd spot.  Yer safe.

My bet is either Davies or McCleish in a caretaker role with clear objectives set in order to get the job on a permanent basis, I would not be overly happy with either but that is what I think will happen.

Of realistic options who would be a preferred choice?

4 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

The last few times I've heard McLeish talk he sounds awful, really sounds like he is 'losing it', a real shame. Regardless what you think of his record I have huge doubts over whether he is in a fit state to manage a club like Rangers again.

I know what you mean.

Is there a genuine recognised difficulty there, or is it just that the years have proved a bit unkind in his fifties?

Nobody in Scotland. Debore if not should look abroad at maybe Holland or Germany. Hate to say it but only way for rangers to compete with Celtic is from them to bring in loads of cheap foreign players and hope they are a success.

4 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'd welcome the longer version.

For me, from an admitted distance, he's done fine at Aberdeen.

They might have won more Cups than the lesser one they scraped under him though.  They also really had a chance in the League last season, but failed to push it.

Certainly better than lots of Aberdeen managers, but not one who's achieved things beyond what might reasonably be anticipated of a successor.  He did get to manage during an incredibly fortunate spell, which saw three of the the five biggest clubs out of the picture.

I'm with you, McInnes has done a bang average job there. The club was underachieving massively before he came in and I think he has definetely raised standards at the club, built a solid base and made them a fixture in the top 4.

However, I think he has hit a bit of a ceiling with them. During his time there Rangers have been out the picture, Celtic been at their weakest for years, Hearts out the picture, Dundee Utd fallen away. He could not have had an easier landscape in which to be successful, push Celtic and win some trophies. There's been no meaningful challenge and he's won one trophy. He's been very fortunate yet not taken advantage and with 2 of those clubs now back and Celtic now on a different planet they have missed the boat.

Davies wouldn't cope with it, he had a near breakdown at Forest when the media got on his back, the amount of attention he'd get up here, especially after a loss to Celtic, and he wouldn't cope.

McLeish isn't well, and is utterly desperate.

McInnes could go either way.

Wright is effectively hiring Walter Smith, without the "Rangers man" take, which would mean him playing a defensive way against Celtic would see him hounded.

Archived