Next Rangers Manager

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, capt_oats said:

I enjoy a dig at Rangers but in this case, no that wasn't what I was getting at.

I just found it notable that, because it's helpful to his narrative King's now depicting Warburton as this inexperienced manager who was thrown into the job at short notice. Warburton was being hailed as some sort of visionary this time last year, in fact IIRC he actually won manager of the year (for winning the Championship with the 2nd highest budget in Scotland).

The thing that King presumably needs to think about now is how he can sell season tickets for next year and if he can't afford a new manager on a par with Rodgers in terms of profile or a budget to legitimately compete with Celtic then he needs to find a way to keep the glory hunting bigot elements of the support on board. For me the cheapest, most obvious way to do that is to go down the staunch route.

This was still the case even up to a few weeks ago . Forever Blueco was singing his praises , even giving quotes from the Rangers media site who were all giving their endorsement after Warburton's curt dismissal of Walter's rant in the papers................Which I believe to be the catalyst in Warburton's sudden fall from grace in the eyes of the hierarchy at Ibrox. 

3 minutes ago, StandFree03 said:

All the posters saying it will be McInnes, how will sevco afford the compensation? 

Diddy club takes diddy club's manager..... £4.50 and a twix. 

Ah, I see your point. How the fuck will you afford that, sevco? 

How long does McInnes have left on his contract with Aberdeen anyway?

I'd be surprised if McInnes went there but it's more an optics thing rather than whether or not he'd want to take the job. If you're Rangers (horrible thought I know) and having pitched your gullible fans season tickets on a hilarious #goingfor55 promise, you've watched your city rivals leaving you in their dust both on and off the park, having appointed a big name, credible manager and you replace your recently sacked manager with Derek McInnes from (in the eyes of ra peepul) a diddy club like Aberdeen who (respectfully) crashed and burned in his stint in England, isn't a particularly good look. Seriously, look at RangersMedia you've got delusional peepul there genuinely expecting a de Boer, those are the ones that need placated and whose money the club/company need to keep the lights on.

McInnes may be the ideal candidate for Rangers but they've had 30 years of being told they deserve the best and having money (they didn't have) chucked at big names only reinforced their entitlement complex. King's statement the other day even played up with Warburton viewing the club/company as a stepping stone (how very dare he): "In order for us to achieve our ambitions, we need employees like your Board members, who will always put Rangers first."

Unless they can, via the media, engineer a narrative that turns bringing in McInnes as some sort of coup that their support can swallow and feel like they can crow about then I'd be surprised if it happened. I'd have thought the more likely route would be to bring in an out of contract McCall-a-like, a place-holder with strong identifiable links to the club on a short term basis to see them until the end of the season and a promise that there will be a full review of structure and give them time to see which managers may be available, for free, in the summer.

31 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

How long does McInnes have left on his contract with Aberdeen anyway?

I'd be surprised if McInnes went there but it's more an optics thing rather than whether or not he'd want to take the job. If you're Rangers (horrible thought I know) and having pitched your gullible fans season tickets on a hilarious #goingfor55 promise, you've watched your city rivals leaving you in their dust both on and off the park, having appointed a big name, credible manager and you replace your recently sacked manager with Derek McInnes from (in the eyes of ra peepul) a diddy club like Aberdeen who (respectfully) crashed and burned in his stint in England, isn't a particularly good look. Seriously, look at RangersMedia you've got delusional peepul there genuinely expecting a de Boer, those are the ones that need placated and whose money the club/company need to keep the lights on.

McInnes may be the ideal candidate for Rangers but they've had 30 years of being told they deserve the best and having money (they didn't have) chucked at big names only reinforced their entitlement complex. King's statement the other day even played up with Warburton viewing the club/company as a stepping stone (how very dare he): "In order for us to achieve our ambitions, we need employees like your Board members, who will always put Rangers first."

Unless they can, via the media, engineer a narrative that turns bringing in McInnes as some sort of coup that their support can swallow and feel like they can crow about then I'd be surprised if it happened. I'd have thought the more likely route would be to bring in an out of contract McCall-a-like, a place-holder with strong identifiable links to the club on a short term basis to see them until the end of the season and a promise that there will be a full review of structure and give them time to see which managers may be available, for free, in the summer.

Fairly sure it's until 2019.  Would be about £500k in compensation going by an Evening Express reporter on Twitter. 

Rangers board

tumblr_o0k9fcXKIs1tvso1qo1_540.gif

13 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

Fairly sure it's until 2019.  Would be about £500k in compensation going by an Evening Express reporter on Twitter. 

With the Warburton/Weir/McParland thing likely to go to court and the possibility of damages to be paid on top of a settlement it'd be an odd move to chuck that sort of money at a replacement just now IMO. That said, this is the same mob who threw Hearts £750k to sign David Templeton when they were in the 3rd Division just so they could keep up appearances and pretend they were still Rangers.

I think McInnes will probably be Rangers manager one day.

I think it's unlikely that he'll go straight there from the Dons, and even less so that he'll go now. He wants another go at England, and he wants to be Aberdeen's best manager since Fergie. That means winning another cup, or doing something special in Europe. If he wins the cup this year, he could be off.

But not to Rangers. Not yet.

17 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

With regards to Rangers allegedly being unable to afford McInnes, am I right in thinking if McInnes were to resign from his role at Aberdeen, there'd be no compensation involved?

Probably not. But then you'd need to think he'd actually go to the basket case.

3 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

With regards to Rangers allegedly being unable to afford McInnes, am I right in thinking if McInnes were to resign from his role at Aberdeen, there'd be no compensation involved?

No compensation to Rangers, but McInnes - unless there are clauses otherwise - would be liable for breach of contract.

15 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

I can't imagine it's that simple. I'd guess that clubs/managers should have clauses in their contracts to avoid exactly such a scenario.

Good odds on Tommy Wright. Is he a Jimmy Nichol sort of Northern Irishman or a Neil Lennon type?

Jimmy Nicholl, what do you mean, Canadian?

(got my money on McInnes btw, reckon it would be a good move for him and us, If he really wanted it and was prepared to leave Pittodrie)

2 hours ago, The Minertaur said:

Rangers board

tumblr_o0k9fcXKIs1tvso1qo1_540.gif

They could easily afford £500k if it was to get the supporters to buy season tickets for next year.

Archived