Raith v Hibs

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brennan had one thing to do yesterday and couldn't do it. He costs us a goal every single time he plays.
Thompson slows everything down and constantly gives the ball away and shirks tackles.
Stevenson is an immobile lump who just doesn't offer anything as far as I can see. He's nuisance value and nothing more.

There isn't much we can do about Brennan while the rest of our goalkeepers are out but hopefully Hughes susses out the rest of them pretty quickly.

I've seen a lot of both these teams this season. I'm a Rovers season ticket holder, but living in the Capital, I've also been to at least 15 Hibs games this season too, home and away. 

Rovers looked a lot more controlled and disciplined under Hughes, one of the simple changes I notes was how quickly we took throw-ins, on the whole. Stevenson goal was a peach. Unfortunately, the subs killed the game a little and we struggled to get the ball to stick up front. I did seem improvement and I think we were well worth the draw, I am even considering making the trip to Dumfries next weekend. I think we will build on this as Hughes spends more time with the players. He will get to know who he can't trust as much on the park and I think the team will evolve a little yet. 

I was delighted when I saw Hibs line up with a diamond. It was absolutely the right formation for them to play against Hearts, but I fully expected Humphries and Boyle to start in a 4-2-3-1 formation. That would have caused us a lot more problems. Without Bartley, Fyvie would have had more space and time on the ball to dictate play and the pace in behind our full backs would have caused problems. The performance was typical of Hibs home form this season, although they didn't create as many chances as usual. Lennons criticism seems a little over the top but I assume thats looking for a reaction before the Hearts game. 

I will be at ER on Wednesday - looking for a Hibees victory and hoping the atmosphere will be as good as it was at Tynecastle. 

Brennan hasn't been great for us, he's hardly McGurn. But yesterday he looked a lot more competent than normal. I felt while his positioning for the free kick was poor, it's something all our keepers should be looking at given the number of free kicks we've conceded this season. However, aside from that he had a solid game and was miles away from having a bad shift. 

19 minutes ago, rw89 said:

Brennan hasn't been great for us, he's hardly McGurn. But yesterday he looked a lot more competent than normal. I felt while his positioning for the free kick was poor, it's something all our keepers should be looking at given the number of free kicks we've conceded this season. However, aside from that he had a solid game and was miles away from having a bad shift. 

Very much spot on rw,Cuthbert has been suspect at a number of free kicks this season,two if I remember rightly resulting in goals.Dont think for one minute he,d have made any difference at yesterday's one either

Aside the goal possibly Brennan did nothing wrong yesterday.

1 hour ago, Martin Nelson said:

Brennan had one thing to do yesterday and couldn't do it. He costs us a goal every single time he plays.
Thompson slows everything down and constantly gives the ball away and shirks tackles.
Stevenson is an immobile lump who just doesn't offer anything as far as I can see. He's nuisance value and nothing more.

There isn't much we can do about Brennan while the rest of our goalkeepers are out but hopefully Hughes susses out the rest of them pretty quickly.

That is nothing other than an attention seeking post. 

Anyway, back in the real world (in the Novar after the game) folk were talking about Brennan having a solid game, Thomson getting back to his old self and Stevenson playing his best game for Rovers. Some were even saying we weren't as good when he went off.

Very little negative stuff though.

Yesterday was Brennans best game in a Rovers shirt, took the pressure off the defence by taking every cross that he came for cleanly.
Some of the goals we have lost when Brennan has been in the sticks I would put down to his positioning, but I would say that's not his fault but more a case of not having much game time.
On Hibs goal yesterday he took a sidestep right before the ball was struck giving him no chance to get across the goal line, even the top keepers make that mistake.

Other than slightly suspect positioning for the free kick Brennan did nothing wrong in my eyes at all, he took the pressure off his centre halves by claiming every high ball into the box that he could. 

With another weeks training with their new gaffers (who've now seen the capabilities/failings of their charges in battle) and hopefully a shed load of practice of delivering the ball int the opponents penalty area.

I'll head to Palmerston Park in a far more optimistic frame of mind than I'd have dreamed possible a few weeks ago.

To take a point yesterday, with Ayr scoring two late goals was huge for us. That was a great opportunity for Dumbarton to get a decent lead over us and put some pressure on. I don't think anyone expected a huge change yesterday, and the consensus seemed to be that we earned our point. It'll be the next three games that are a massive tell for ourselves. With more time to get to know the squad and get their mindset changed, it'll give Hughes a good chance to finding out who he wants and who isn't going to feature. The atmosphere was the most positive it's been since the tail end of last season. 

To take a point yesterday, with Ayr scoring two late goals was huge for us. That was a great opportunity for Dumbarton to get a decent lead over us and put some pressure on. I don't think anyone expected a huge change yesterday, and the consensus seemed to be that we earned our point. It'll be the next three games that are a massive tell for ourselves. With more time to get to know the squad and get their mindset changed, it'll give Hughes a good chance to finding out who he wants and who isn't going to feature. The atmosphere was the most positive it's been since the tail end of last season. 

Ayr scoring those two goals was a bad thing. They've gained an extra point and presumably a huge lift in morale before we play them next week.

I suppose it is another match out of the way with them not gaining ground on us.

13 minutes ago, Martin Nelson said:

Ayr scoring those two goals was a bad thing. They've gained an extra point and presumably a huge lift in morale before we play them next week.

I suppose it is another match out of the way with them not gaining ground on us.

Not necessarily. With all due respect to Dumbarton and Ayr, to take a point at home to a Hibs team who were expected to win while Ayr drew is a good result. They were more likely to gain ground on us yesterday, than for us gain further ground on them. It also kept Dumarton on the same points as us with one more game played. While you can say it's a huge morale boost for them which is absolutely true, we're got a lot more unity now that the fans and the club have a manager who even after one game showed great signs of being able to get the players motivated. 

Even still, the next few weeks will be key. 

Archived