Ross County v St Johnstone Sat 18/2/17

Nothing on this yet, and since someone has to...

No idea what to expect from this. County seem a bit erratic, like ourselves.

2-1 Saints. More out of deluded hope than expectation.

Always a tough game in Dingwall.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will Tommy W change things up after the cup loss?

I said before the last fixture that Swanson is the key man and he'd be dangerous anywhere, but that he'd be more dangerous from the left than up top.  He was used up top that day, often running beyond MacLean, which didn't suit him at all.  I am guessing from the line-up vs Thistle that it was a 4-4-2 with Swanson on the left.  County use a man-marking system so someone like him is much more dangerous to them when coming in from the flank unnanounced rather than being tracked easily by a centre-back.

I don't see the 4-2 in Perth happening again.  Boyce was tremendous, but the other standouts were Burke and Routis and neither are playing just now.  Maybe Routis will be back but he's missed the last couple; Burke hasn't been seen since that game due to illness.  Boyce has spent more time being used anywhere other than his best position (behind a central striker) in the last seven games, mostly wide right or in central mid of a 4-3-3.  County did start with the 4-4-1-1 against Aberdeen in the cup but quickly reverted when they were losing the midfield.  I think McIntyre probably will go back to the 4-4-1-1.

St Johnstone won comfortably in Dingwall and I am half-expecting the same again if I'm honest, based on not much more than Davidson always getting the better of Woods.  However County do have new signings bedding in (left-winger Lalkovic, right-winger O'Brien, central midfielder Gobern) who might produce something unexpected.

St Johnstone away rules apply here. Most likely will be 1-0 away win, or a comfortable home victory. I'd expect Alston to start on the right for Wotherspoon, possibly Paton in for Cummins or perhaps Millar. The rest of the team will be the same as last Saturday, barring any injuries.

Kilmarnock losing against Aberdeen. Celtic crushing Motherwell. Hearts skelping ICT. Partick Thistle and Hamilton ending in stalemate. Dundee dropping points against Rangers.

Ross County 1-3 St. Johnstone

285990_trumpcares_small-1.jpg

You know what, with Boyce (based purely on highlights) looking like he's playing behind a striker, I'd be wanting someone to just sit on him all game.

Clark

Foster - Ando - Joe - Easton

Wotherspoon - Alston - Muzz - Millar - Swanson

MacLean

Not overly convinced with MacLean alone up front, but Wotherspoon, Alston and Swanson should all be able to get in support of him, and Alston seems to have a knack of getting into good positions on the edge of the box, would be interesting to see how he coped in a more central role.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Relationship between the clubs has never been the same since Richie Britain got pegged by his wife

The relationship's never been the same since some St Johnston supporters acted like dicks when an unfortunate family situation stopped Richie joining them. Amazingly there are still a couple (or just 1?) who still keep on about it.

1 hour ago, Staggie52 said:

The relationship's never been the same since some St Johnston supporters acted like dicks when an unfortunate family situation stopped Richie joining them. Amazingly there are still a couple (or just 1?) who still keep on about it.

Some people are incredibly gullible.

It's because the minibus we got bribed with passes me every morning.

0-1 [Fairly early goal for Saints]

1-1 [County work really hard to equalise but don't get it until the start of the second half]

1-2 [Saints instantly take the lead again]

1-3 [County labour for 20-30 mins before Saints saunter up the field through an over-committed County team to put the game to rest]

That is today's script as St Johnstone take their usual 3 points from Dingwall.

saints only lost 3 games away from home,with boyce on the park always good for a goal 2-1 saints for me.

Thanks for the update, willy.

Archived