The Photography Thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Stevo Fife said:
"Under the Stars". The Mary Pit Head, Crosshill.
Fife's last remaining pithead tower & the last monument to Fife’s mining heritage.
Nikon D850. Composite 534 images, stacked.

20220320-850_2105-Edit-Edit-2.jpg

What's at the centre of the swirl?

1 minute ago, Stevo Fife said:

The polestar which is the brightest star. A little bit pixelated as lens was freezing up.

Would you get the same effect pointing anywhere? I get that the Earth or even the Sun isn't the centre of the Universe anymore, but it's a bit disconcerting if just about anywhere else is. :blink:

11 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Would you get the same effect pointing anywhere? I get that the Earth or even the Sun isn't the centre of the Universe anymore, but it's a bit disconcerting if just about anywhere else is. :blink:

Not the circle effect. The polestar hardly moves in the sky. Point it in another direction and you'll get various arcs etc. You'll get impressive result in any direction but I was aiming for this particular shot. It was also 500+ images which need stitching together 😃

I've got a similar photo framed on the wall in the house- it was taken by my old man's pal. No stitching together 500 images though, this was pre-digital days and good old 35 mil film meant you just set the tripod up, aimed the camera at a fixed point (in this case a church spire) and left the shutter open.

5 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I've got a similar photo framed on the wall in the house- it was taken by my old man's pal. No stitching together 500 images though, this was pre-digital days and good old 35 mil film meant you just set the tripod up, aimed the camera at a fixed point (in this case a church spire) and left the shutter open.

Not a common approach in the digital era. The main issue being if something goes wrong i.e. gust of wind, car headlights, knocking against tri-pod etc then the image is ruined. Bearing in mind the shutter is open for quite a long time (hours).  By stacking you can delete any bad images. You also have satellites and planes to deal with. I had to edit (remove) 5 planes from that image.

Up in Skye next month so hoping to attempt a similar shot at Neist point if the sky is clear.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...