The Photography Thread

• 2 weeks later...

On 18/07/2022 at 15:25, Rizzo said:

My absolute wildlife dream sighting would be the last two members of the West Coast orcas.

I figure I'm giving myself the best chance by booking a week's holiday on the West Coast of Mull every year.

Good to know Sealife take dogs, will see if we can book a trip while we're away.

Well, I got my dream sighting today from the Sea Life Mull boat. Common dolphins are such a pain in the arse to photograph, thrilled to see the two west coast orcas though, especially in such fantastic conditions. I can pretty much never complain about being unlucky ever again.

c_dolphin003.JPG

JC_A002.JPG

JC_A003.JPG

JC_A012.JPG

JC002.JPG

Edited by Rizzo

1 hour ago, Rizzo said:

Well, I got my dream sighting today from the Sea Life Mull boat. Common dolphins are such a pain in the arse to photograph, thrilled to see the two west coast orcas though, especially in such fantastic conditions. I can pretty much never complain about being unlucky ever again.

c_dolphin003.JPG

JC_A002.JPG

JC_A003.JPG

JC_A012.JPG

JC002.JPG

You saw John Coe & Aquarius? You jammy bas***d! 😆

Do you realise how fortunate you are to see these guys? Very sad when you think this pair are on the verge of extinction.

Well done sir. Cherish the moment.

5 minutes ago, Stevo Fife said:

You saw John Coe & Aquarius? You jammy bas***d! 😆

Do you realise how fortunate you are to see these guys? Very sad when you think this pair are on the verge of extinction.

Well done sir. Cherish the moment.

Totally aware of how fortunate I've been, the chances of seeing the pair being so slim. I'm on all the cetacean sighting pages on Facebook and saw yesterday they'd been sighted by a boat operator from Oban. Kept my eye on the page to see they were sighted at the south of the Mull, then from the ferry going into Craignure heading west.

Told OH that I was going to do some watching from the shore and we needed to find a spot offering views of the sound of Mull which we duly did. Had no clue how orca behave (like baleen whales are generally quite predictable while dolphins and porpoise are a pain) but figured the sound was so narrow they'd be impossible to miss. Sure enough, after half an hour or so I spotted the big black fins and we took photos from the shore which obviously weren't great due to the distance.

Booked the Sea Life tour last night hoping they were still around, and knowing the weather was going to be ideal. 

I couldn't actually have gotten any better views than I did. OH had even offered to babysit the dogs for the morning to let me go on the boat without having to keep an eye on them.

All in all by far the the most magical wildlife experience I've had, but as you say it's so sad that they're the only two left from that particular group and won't be around for much longer.

6 minutes ago, Rizzo said:

Totally aware of how fortunate I've been, the chances of seeing the pair being so slim. I'm on all the cetacean sighting pages on Facebook and saw yesterday they'd been sighted by a boat operator from Oban. Kept my eye on the page to see they were sighted at the south of the Mull, then from the ferry going into Craignure heading west.

Told OH that I was going to do some watching from the shore and we needed to find a spot offering views of the sound of Mull which we duly did. Had no clue how orca behave (like baleen whales are generally quite predictable while dolphins and porpoise are a pain) but figured the sound was so narrow they'd be impossible to miss. Sure enough, after half an hour or so I spotted the big black fins and we took photos from the shore which obviously weren't great due to the distance.

Booked the Sea Life tour last night hoping they were still around, and knowing the weather was going to be ideal. 

I couldn't actually have gotten any better views than I did. OH had even offered to babysit the dogs for the morning to let me go on the boat without having to keep an eye on them.

All in all by far the the most magical wildlife experience I've had, but as you say it's so sad that they're the only two left from that particular group and won't be around for much longer.

I'm well chuffed for you. Would love to see them. A regular topic of discussion in our household. We're always on the lookout when over west to try and see these two. Been everywhere and like you, follow the cetacean groups.

Maybe one day before it's too late.

Sea Life Mull is a fantastic trip out to sea. Blew my mind what we saw. Hundreds of common dolphins, Minke Whales, porpoise etc.

Great photos. Enjoy.

1 minute ago, Stevo Fife said:

I'm well chuffed for you. Would love to see them. A regular topic of discussion in our household. We're always on the lookout when over west to try and see these two. Been everywhere and like you, follow the cetacean groups.

Maybe one day before it's too late.

Sea Life Mull is a fantastic trip out to sea. Blew my mind what we saw. Hundreds of common dolphins, Minke Whales, porpoise etc.

Great photos. Enjoy.

Aye, I think that was our third trip out with them. The skipper mentioned that they'd gotten word from another vessel about where JC and Aquarius were so we took off in that direction.

We were out on the water longer than the trip was advertised for so to ensure everyone got a good view of everything.

Fingers crossed you get the same experience at some point!

13 hours ago, Rizzo said:

Aye, I think that was our third trip out with them. The skipper mentioned that they'd gotten word from another vessel about where JC and Aquarius were so we took off in that direction.

We were out on the water longer than the trip was advertised for so to ensure everyone got a good view of everything.

Fingers crossed you get the same experience at some point!

Brilliant pics and sounds like it was well-earned given your perseverance.

Forgot to add a couple of recent ones.

Mooglie (Ghostbusters 2) hiding within a rainbow.

image.thumb.jpeg.77057e85933865eabc93da29312433f4.jpeg

Panoramic evening shot with NCC 1701 D Enterprise cloud.

image.thumb.jpeg.6fdff7131d9e49aa88a667aad2041c42.jpeg

Edited by Venti
Double take

6 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

You're lucky it didn't break your arm.

They can be a bit intimidating when they are out of the water , and there’s a very possessive male who is guarding his cygnets and will attack everything that comes near 

• 2 weeks later...