Aberdeen v Motherwell, 11/3/17

On 3/8/2017 at 10:53, jmothecat said:

I take it Jack won't be back for this? I'm feeling a bit nervous about this one for some reason. I think we played quite well in both the previous two games but only scored 1 goal. It seems weird to look at a team we put 7 past last time round and worry about scoring.

Relax, we generally dispatch bottom 6 teams fine at Pittodrie. 

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Both injury doubts apparently, as well as Zak Jules. McManus still out and it looked like Tait was still carrying an injury on Saturday and he limped off during the 2nd half. Super Joe at centre back then? Alongside McMillan, Ferguson and Stevie Hammell(until he breaks again). Throw in the fact that Moult's suspended and we'll do well to keep it to 7 this time.

I'd be surprised if we went with Chalmers again tbh. Binned out the squad last week and playing with the u20s against County on Tuesday. As long as McHugh is able to play I'd be fine with him partnering Ferguson in place of Heneghan.

If Tait's unable to play then Allan Campbell's an option there while you could even go with Cadden as a last resort allowing for Hammell or McMillan at left back. By no means would any of that be ideal though, so hopefully they're able to shake off the knocks.

A point would be good but as ever it's going to be our backline that lets us down here. For as much of a liability he can be at times, we actually miss McManus and that in itself is a frightening thought.

A kick in the baws right enough, although not a surprising one. As I said above, he clearly wasn't fit on Saturday. He could hardly run and when he did he looked like he was going backwards, at one point even Conor Sammon outstripped him over 10 yards.

Would I be right in saying he's got the most assists of any Motherwell player this season? Will be a big blow, especially in the run against those around about us as they're the games in which he's excelled. 

Craigan wasn't exactly complimentary with his comments about McMillan and his recent performances midweek so I can't see him starting here, yet I'm not convinced David Ferguson is much of a full back either. Plus he might be needed to fill in at centre back if one of McHugh or Heneghan don't make it. 

Although I imagine if McHugh and/or Heneghan can walk they'll be strapped up and sent out tomorrow. 

It is a blow that Tait is out as he is the best right back we've had for years. That said, he's taken an absolute roasting from Hayes this season - so the thought of a barely-fit Tait being "forced" through one more game before his op as the article alludes to, wouldn't be pretty.

Was it not against Aberdeen at FP a few years back that we had a full-blown defensive crisis and had to throw in Mark Reynolds and Jonathan Page (?) at centre half for their first starts? I'm sure we got a clean sheet that day.... /wishful thinking

After last time, there's no chance Motherwell will come up and roll over. Despite the injuries at the back, a win at Kilmarnock and someone semi-competent in charge will make this one tough.

With Considine out suspended and Jack back, to me, I'd line up the following way: Lewis; Logan, Taylor, O'Connor, Shinnie; Jack, McLean; McGinn, Christie, Hayes; Stockley. Rooney has been very poor and is struggling with his all round game. While I'd have preferred to leave Jack on the bench and use him later in the game but with Considine being out, Shinnie will need to drop back for this game. Chance for Christie to show his worth.

Predict a 2-1 win for the Famous, McGinn and Stockley with McDonald doing his usual scoring against us trick for Motherwell.

Archived