School days?

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Early starter.

One guy in my year beat someone to death with a paving slab because he took the piss out of his Rangers top.  Here's the latest on him - https://stv.tv/news/highlands-islands/202778-freed-murderer-returns-to-jail/

It was one of my pals Uncles he did with the paving slab. I remember it well. 

I went to the Inverness High School which was by far and away the trampiest school in Inverness. I'm still in touch with a few close friends from school, one who lives in Edinburgh now and we meet up occasionally. 

There was a guy who I went to primary and secondary with who made it onto GMTV news for raping someone. Took the police a while to catch him iirc. 

ETA: Loads have died of ODs 

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't keep in touch with anyone I went to school with but I used to see a few guys kicking about, mostly at Thistle games.

One guy from my year killed himself after his mum died.
A lassie from my year is a director at Kate Spade and lives in New York and another guy is now a Minister in the Scottish Government.

1 hour ago, 8MileBU said:

Liked primary and secondary. My two best friends from primary are still my best friends to this day. Only see one regularly as the other lives quite far away.

Made a lot of new friends at high school but only kept in touch with a few of them since leaving. Most of the folk I hung around with at high school turned out to be weirdo's, wasters or just bellends who like things like Lord of the Rings & watching Rugby. Like KWB said, I would actively avoid most of them if I seen them in the street.

Unless they were drinking cider of course.

I went to a great primary school and have nothing but fond memories of my time there. High school was a bit tough in the earlier years mostly because there were older kids that were one way or another quite intimidating but 4th year onwards were brilliant and what I thought were going to be the best years of my life at the time. The school itself was an utter shit hole though in terms of facilities and it lowered my expectations for uni/work life afterwards as I assumed you just had to work in squalor for ever more.

I was definitely in my comfort zone in school though and struggled when i first left home because of it and always wanted to spend time with people I went to school with rather than trying to make new friends when i was first at uni. Found that people who thrived at school often struggled when first at uni or in work afterwards and it was those who were misfits at school that appeared to be having the time of their lives with uni, travel etc. Not everyone of course but it was common to see.

1 hour ago, 8MileBU said:

Liked primary and secondary. My two best friends from primary are still my best friends to this day. Only see one regularly as the other lives quite far away.

Made a lot of new friends at high school but only kept in touch with a few of them since leaving. Most of the folk I hung around with at high school turned out to be weirdo's, wasters or just bellends who like things like Lord of the Rings & watching Rugby. Like KWB said, I would actively avoid most of them if I seen them in the street.

You still in touch with the dinner ladies?

Bit cold for my liking although it's a cracking beach!
Pretty sure that some poor dog got torn to bits by seals there when I lived there too. Indoor swimming is defo safer, although a v poor show to consider there is decomposing humanity only yards away.

1 minute ago, throbber said:

I was definitely in my comfort zone in school though and struggled when i first left home because of it and always wanted to spend time with people I went to school with rather than trying to make new friends when i was first at uni. Found that people who thrived at school often struggled when first at uni or in work afterwards and it was those who were misfits at school that appeared to be having the time of their lives with uni, travel etc. Not everyone of course but it was common to see.

One thing that I know happened to a few people when I was at school was people for whom being the fantastic, cleverest kid in the room at school didn't react well to going to University where everyone is as smart as them.  People who had spent all their time at school being the best didn't react well to everyone being as bright or brighter than them.  There were a few really clever kids at school who dropped out of Uni or came very close to it.  Of course, most of the super-clever kids didn't have a bad attitude - it's always annoying when people are clever and nice.

Primary school was fine. 

I liked High School until I caught Glandular Fever just before my 4th year prelims. Was off school for about a month, wasn't allowed work home and fucked up all my exams because i didn't have the time to catch up. After having Glandular Fever I had very little drive and the subjects I loved became a chore. 

In 5th and 6th year my attendance was something like 34%. My parents left the house before me in the mornings so I never got up for school and would just saunter down at lunch time every day. I'd then bump into my morning teachers who were seething at me for skiving their classes. One time my P.E teacher called me a "waste of space" in front of the class. I got up, told him to f**k off and walked out. He called me the same at Parents Night in front of my mum and the Deputy Head. He got suspended for it :lol: Looking back, he was probably right. 

I still speak to a couple of people from school but I have very little in common with the rest. I fucked off out of my home town as soon as I could, they all still live there. Do the same things every weekend. Boring.

The amount of people who stay in the same town they went to school in or go away to uni for a few years and decide to move back because they didn't really like the rest of the world is pretty crazy.

23 minutes ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

Primary school was fine. 

I liked High School until I caught Glandular Fever just before my 4th year prelims. Was off school for about a month, wasn't allowed work home and fucked up all my exams because i didn't have the time to catch up. After having Glandular Fever I had very little drive and the subjects I loved became a chore. 

There was a lassie in my year at school who was really bright and keen, she got glandular fever and barely showed up again.  Sometimes she'd come into class, ask to go to the toilet and just go home :lol:  She'd go out and then half an hour later one of the guidance staff would shuffle in and get her bag.

Serves you both right for kissing too many boys IMO.

Just now, ICTChris said:

There was a lassie in my year at school who was really bright and keen, she got glandular fever and barely showed up again.  Sometimes she'd come into class, ask to go to the toilet and just go home :lol:  She'd go out and then half an hour later one of the guidance staff would shuffle in and get her bag.

Serves you both right for kissing too many boys IMO.

It's a fucking horrible thing to have. My blood platelets went horribly low and I could barely walk 10 yards without feeling like I'd ran a marathon. I left school with no highers and pretty poor Stanger Grades. All my teachers called me a failure etc. which did give me the drive to go to college then University and I now have a pretty decent job so I hate adults telling kids how important school grades are. 

I stopped attending school so much in 5th and 6th, not because of an illness but simply getting told i was getting a job when i finished by my dad. 

In hindsight i should've continued studying but i knew better when i was that age, think i spent more time in the Library reading Stephen King books than i did actually studying in those final years. 

It's a fucking horrible thing to have. My blood platelets went horribly low and I could barely walk 10 yards without feeling like I'd ran a marathon. I left school with no highers and pretty poor Stanger Grades. All my teachers called me a failure etc. which did give me the drive to go to college then University and I now have a pretty decent job so I hate adults telling kids how important school grades are. 

My pal had it too and he spent years recovering from it, he missed his SG's as well, we went to Centerparcs during the October break (His parents took about 5 of us down) and he was still struggling months later with it. 

Just now, Honest Saints Fan said:

Yeah, I was just being a dick.

School isn't the be-all and end-all.  Unless your life ambition is to pull the most girls at the Fourth Year school disco, of course, in which case that is fairly time limited.

Archived