School days?

Just now, Zen Archer said:

P7 you say?

After my elite education my spelling is better with a quill pen old chap. We didn't have this new fangled keyboard technology when I was at school. Rah rah rah. Oik.  

I should have typed "boaked" anyhoo! 

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, tamthebam said:

After my elite education my spelling is better with a quill pen old chap. We didn't have this new fangled keyboard technology when I was at school. Rah rah rah. Oik.  

I should have typed "boaked" anyhoo! 

This is tam on the right just about to rob the posh boy of his nosegay.

C6ugS6tWkAAykPS.jpg

14 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I went to a posh skool (compared to the rest of them I was scum though! :lol:). Hated primary school although I once through up all over a lassie in P7 when I had the cold. Shame, she was a nice lassie too. Hated secondary up until about 4th year 

A certain Olympian cyclist was a couple of years below me- he used to cycle to school and if I'd had a vision of the future I would have burst the little cnut's tyres. 

We had a school reunion a few years ago. One bird I fancied now had grey hair. The other bird I fancied still had bloody nice legs.. :wub:

One of my year at least did something useful- he started Innes and Gunn, makers of fine beer :thumsup2

58c728581910e_tombrown.jpg.8405e32944308e8325b8e1984d7ba774.jpg

Tom Bam's schooldays. St Posh's School prepare to take on Bash Street... 

If you're from Edinburgh I can imagine you're understating the poshness of your school somewhat ;)

Went to St Margarets primary in Cowie then St Modans high in Stirling, both great schools although now in new buildings, the current St Modans sits right behind the East Stand at Forthbank, two of my kids attend it, the old one on Barnsdale Rd was demolished about 10 years ago, incredibly two of the teachers I had now teach my children - I left in 1993 !

My parents attended and met there back in the 1950's when Fergus McCann's dad, also called Fergus was rector, seemingly he even had the identical squint his son inherited from him. My brother played in the St Modans team that won the Scottish schools cup in 1981 alongside John Philliben

St Margarets in Cowie is all boarded up awaiting demolition having moved to a new build last year

2 hours ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Enjoyed both. High school got better as you got older though. Once we were old enough to have a common room it was sensational- used to just go into school all day and not bother going to classes. Up to all sorts at school...

^^^ Bully found. 

Didn't mind primary although don't remember much except kicking a ball around. Didn't really enjoy senior shool, got off to a bad start and tending to get bollocked for something or other every day. My own fault for being a lazy git.

Didn't bother to stay on for Sixth-form and went to a FE college. That was much better and I'm still close friends with a number of people I met there, twenty years later.

Primary/middle school was great fun, although I ended up going to five different ones due to moving around so much (and one being remarkably shite). Secondary was an absolute arseache; staff and kids alike were fucking miserable. Can't believe they were still making us use fountain pens back then, the sadists.

I don't think anyone I went to school with amounted to anything, but it seems that a few have topped themselves since escaping, which seems a bit bass-ackwards to me.

Edit: when did your schools finally get rid of the BBC Micros? 1992 for us, when they were swapped out for a bunch of RM Nimbus machines that we weren't allowed to use because they'd been so expensive  :lol:

Must admit I always find it funny how many of the intelligent and popular group always end up being the local idiots as you grow up.

Either that or very little of my year have amounted to anything.

My primary and secondary schools both long gone - Ardler and Rockwell. Both were a good laugh and have a lot of good memories. Some crazy students and crazier teachers, like everywhere I guess. Best days of my life? Not sure but up there.

^^^ Bully found. 

I went to school with various folk who would go on to become murderers, gangsters or would go on to commit absolutely sick/sadistic offences.
It was pretty obvious that they'd go on to that sort of stuff when they got older.

Therefore it was a nicer environment when they eventually were expelled or nowhere the be seen. These days they'd probably have been stuck in some "inclusion base"...

Always thought I'd move away myself and had ideas of living abroad but once you have kids etc your priorities change. All my pals and family are here so why would I want to leave that behind?

I don't blame you for not wanting to leave it behind once you have had kids but i think too many people don't take a chance in their life and move away to experience living somewhere else and realise that they don't have to live in the same place they grew up. One of my best friends in school had great ambition and went to uni to study journalism which was something he could have done great in but he didn't like uni/living in halls and was back living with his mum before Christmas time and I don't think he has left since and he's 30 now and working In a pub married to an alcoholic fruit loop. I also know a few people who saved up for months to go away travelling to Australia and had visas bought and flights and then shat it a couple of weeks before the flight or stayed a week there and came home because they didn't like it. Quite like the only gay in the village sketch I suppose.

6 minutes ago, throbber said:

I don't blame you for not wanting to leave it behind once you have had kids but i think too many people don't take a chance in their life and move away to experience living somewhere else and realise that they don't have to live in the same place they grew up. One of my best friends in school had great ambition and went to uni to study journalism which was something he could have done great in but he didn't like uni/living in halls and was back living with his mum before Christmas time and I don't think he has left since and he's 30 now and working In a pub married to an alcoholic fruit loop. I also know a few people who saved up for months to go away travelling to Australia and had visas bought and flights and then shat it a couple of weeks before the flight or stayed a week there and came home because they didn't like it. Quite like the only gay in the village sketch I suppose.

Ties in with what I was saying earlier in the thread; some folk are just happier moving in a smaller orbit - you get punters who find a social circle, meet a partner and put down roots within a mile of where they started out from and aren't really comfortable out of that environment.

Doing that wasn't for me, and I effectively had psychologically already moved on from the schooldays milieu while I was still there, but I don't look down on punters who never have and are just happy with the hand life dealt them - more those who made a big song and dance about what they were going to do with their lives and ended up settling for a lot less through shiting it from making a jump or just plain lethargy.

Exactly - I was the same but never made a song and dance about what I was going to do just knew that I wanted to see some of the world and meet new people and branch out while I was young and while it didn't all go to plan i still had legitimate plans that I followed through. The amount of people who were so happy to give up on something that could potentially lead them to better things is quite saddening though, the guy I mentioned is a prime example but there is someone exactly the same in every social circle.

Primary school - Levenvale - was great.

Secondary school - was absolutely brutal. Place was a shitehole filled with a collection of utter b*****ds.

I don't see many people from school these days. Used to up until my mid 20s but real life got in the way. Keep in touch via Facebook but it's well over a year since I actually saw and spoke with any of the folk i was friends with at school. Mostly spend time with friends from work or from hockey these days. I do occasionally regret allowing those friendships to drift but one guy is married with a family of 7, another moved to Glasgow and out interests drifted apart and one is just out and out unsociable.

1 minute ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Thankfully no c**t from my school has ever tried to organise a reunion.

Or at the very least, they haven't invited me to it, which I'm absolutely fine with.

But maybe you'll be able to meet a girl you fancied at school who will find you attractive after you have lied about being rich.

School was great right up until about 3rd year when I realised I had very little in common with most people there.

Almost everyone in my year could easily be split into one of two groups. Relatively rich, posh, kids trying to be even more posh: "I like rugby because it's masculine and middle class - like me" being the quote I remember the most. They would have Rosé drinking parties in their hot tubs and the like. Utterly deplorable.

Then there was the attempting to be bams group. You're from Milngavie meight, you aren't a bam.

I found myself in an increasingly small group of guys who genuinely just spent our whole time playing or watching football. Still speak to a couple of them regularly - one works for Rangers which is always interesting for chat, and one gets the same train as me pretty often, but that's really it and I only left in 2015.

In terms of intelligence I was pretty middle of the road, but was excellent at memorising stuff and felt no stress with exams - so I did pretty well. Load of 2s and 1s at Standard Grade, 5 As at higher; history, modern studies, geography, computing and admin (along with two Bs in English and PE, a C in AH computing which I'll never understand and an A in int2 maths.) So that was decent.

Now at Uni and far more at home than I ever really was at school. #GreatBunchofLads.

In terms of prison/death I don't think anyone I went to school with is dead yet. A guy I knew pretty well in primary school was all over the papers last year for his involvement in the Scottish Far Right Resistance though.

I only know of one death from my year at school and the guy killed himself at 23. I was pretty friendly with him in the last few years at school and although he often talked about depression and death I never believed he was genuinely depressed and it was mostly down to hormones and a bit of attention seeking.

Archived