Pedro Caixinha's Rangers vs Michael Portillo's Motherwell - 1st April

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any news on Moult's injury?

Robinson didn't seem to give much away about the injury in his post-match. In fact I don't think he even addressed it directly.

From what I can recall he seemed to suggest he'd have the same players available to him for Wednesday.

Robinson didn't seem to give much away about the injury in his post-match. In fact I don't think he even addressed it directly.

From what I can recall he seemed to suggest he'd have the same players available to him for Wednesday.

f**k...

A very good point and by all accounts, a very good performance and if anything we should have won the game given the chances we created. We don't say that too often after a trip to Ibrox.

Our approach and attitude to this game was night and day to McGhee's feeble attempts against them this season - we parked the bus in January - and we actually seemed to believe we could win this, something which we never looked like we would with McGhee in charge. Yet again it's taken an 'outsider' as manager to get us showing belief and not just cow towing to the name Rangers, as McGhee and McCall did in the past.

41 minutes ago, MJC said:

A very good point and by all accounts, a very good performance and if anything we should have won the game given the chances we created. We don't say that too often after a trip to Ibrox.

Our approach and attitude to this game was night and day to McGhee's feeble attempts against them this season - we parked the bus in January - and we actually seemed to believe we could win this, something which we never looked like we would with McGhee in charge. Yet again it's taken an 'outsider' as manager to get us showing belief and not just cow towing to the name Rangers, as McGhee and McCall did in the past.

Clearly you weren't at the game and your view is simplistic beyond belief.

Just a little thing like, oh, Rangers having a new manager with a different style of play? Or Rangers having one recognised defender on the field for 45 minutes didn't influence the match?  Because if you were there you'd know that while we were completely on top in the first half we didn't create too many chances besides the goal.   When Rangers  made their subs at half time the game became completely open and the game became end to end. 

Even so, a lot of football comes down to luck.  McManus makes a rick of a simple pass from defence in the final minutes, Hyndman misses a sitter in the final minutes.  Another time McManus makes the pass and Hyndman tucks it away and its McGhee that takes the point and Robinson that's coming home with nothing.

We've taken the lead at Ibrox three times this season so the idea that we had no belief going there is just a daft point. 

I wasn't at the game and at no point claimed to have been. Hence why I said 'by all accounts, a very good performance' which i took from following the match in radio and Twitter reports. Not the same as being there i give you, but it was enough.

In our last two trips to Ibrox we have gone there and attempted to park the bus. Yes we led, but we offered little else and were punished both times for trying to sit in and give what was a bang average side far too much respect.

Our approach to this game was significantly better and it was much more encouraging to hear Robinson proclaim that we would go there and try to win the game, and that we weren't playing 'the name and the badge of Rangers', unlike his predecessor who had us beat before we left Fir Park.

Posted this in the Accies thread earlier but on reflection probably better placed here:

Quite interesting comments from Cadden in his pre-game interview there with regards the game at Ibrox. I know it probably wasn't meant as a dig at McGhee but him saying that they had approached the game with a view that there was no point in going and sitting in while pointing out that he feels that we're a better side trying to play on the front foot seemed night and day to the comments McGhee had been making pre-game and the way he seemed to have had the team set up as the wheels were coming off.

Very much enjoyed Robinson's point about Caixinha's pre-match "analysis" of Motherwell as well, saying that he had no intention of setting up the way Caixinha had suggested. I did wonder about that at the time, it seemed to me that Caixinha was pretty much broadcasting his scouting report on Motherwell.

Totally take Ya Bezzer's point about the element of luck on board. The McManus incident in the cup game and the Hyndman chance on Saturday are pretty 'sliding doors' moments. Had Hyndman taken that chance in the final minute then we'd be sat here talking about the same old story of this season against them. Nevertheless listening to Robinson and perhaps more tellingly Cadden there seemed to be a different approach or attitude to the fixture this time around.

11 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Posted this in the Accies thread earlier but on reflection probably better placed here:

Quite interesting comments from Cadden in his pre-game interview there with regards the game at Ibrox. I know it probably wasn't meant as a dig at McGhee but him saying that they had approached the game with a view that there was no point in going and sitting in while pointing out that he feels that we're a better side trying to play on the front foot seemed night and day to the comments McGhee had been making pre-game and the way he seemed to have had the team set up as the wheels were coming off.

This is, and has been true for pretty much the entire time I've supported Motherwell. With the exception of that six month period under Brown when Reynolds and Craigan turned into Maldini and Baresi, we've always been shite at defending. McGhee (first time) and McCall (to begin with) seemed to grasp this and went pretty much baws oot to score. Player for player, are we dramatically worse than either of those sides? Weaker in some areas, stronger in others, I'd say. Sitting in puts our weakest areas under pressure, so f**k that. It's also fucking turgid to watch, so f**k it, go and try and win games.

Agree - we've always had our best times as an attacking team. We were pretty defensive back in the mists of time in our first few years in the premier under McLean but after that, it's never really happened (as we have been been terrible at grinding results out over the years), apart from a blip under Brown. It's at the point that if Robinson attempted to make us a "solid" team that relied on converting a high percentage of the (few) chances we made, it would almost be a novelty :)

I tend to think that as we don't need to face the (current) top 5 again this season, that we should play to our strengths and not try to sit back at any point.

11 minutes ago, Swello said:

We were pretty defensive back in the mists of time in our first few years in the premier under McLean

In my defence (HO HO!), I wasn't born then, so I'll take your word for it. 

But aye, f**k playing Hearts, St Johnstone, Rangers, Celtic or Aberdeen. I'll be chucking those particular memories in the brain fire alongside 'family parties in fife' and 'Jane Austen'. 

11 minutes ago, Swello said:

I tend to think that as we don't need to face the (current) top 5 again this season, that we should play to our strengths and not try to sit back at any point.

There's probably a psychological element to this as well. Looking at our results so far against the sides around us (Dundee aside) it's not so bad.

Thistle - XW (4)

Killie - WXW (7)

Dundee - XLL (1)

Ross County - XWW (7)

Accies - WX (4)

ICT - LW (3)

You look at those results and surely it's a lot easier for the manager to be imparting to the players that if they go out and turn up then they can win those games.

The fixture list for the 3rd round of games for us has been hilarious;

County (a), Hearts (h), Aberdeen (a), Celtic (a), Dundee (h), Killie (a), Aberdeen (a), St Johnstone (h), Rangers (a)

In the 9 fixtures to date we've had two runs of 3 on the spin against (at the time) top 4 sides. Of the 3 against those around us we've won 2 of them with the clusterfuck against Dundee marking the (quite spectacular) loss. Obviously everyone has to play each other but seriously...as scheduling goes, f**k that.

Archived