Queens V Dundee Utd

A far better performance yesterday than we have been treated to since the early part of the season. More ball on the deck and passing than up in the air and panic. Of course we had to give away the now customary soft goal(s) but at least we showed the desire to go and win the game rather than accepting a point when we were pegged back twice. It's hypothetical I know, but if the team and management had displayed more of this attitude in some other games we may not still be sweating about being dragged into the relegation zone.

Like several others have stated already, I was baffled by the referee's interpretation of a free-kick for "holding" the ball between your legs denying the opponent the chance to play it. I've no problem with him giving it against Higgins in the first half, right call, but not to give a free-kick against the United defender for an identical offence in their  6yard box in the second half shows a complete lack of consistency (ok, he bottled out of giving it). The referee was also poor on using advantage (to both sides), although it was probably a bad call from his linesman in the first half when Thomas beat the defender on the bye-line and was running in on goal only to be pulled back and given a foul just outside the penalty area. Result, United get the chance to bring players back to defend in numbers and any advantage we had is lost.

As for the discussion about our goalkeepers, I think we have two keepers of fairly similar ability, neither of them really outstanding but again neither really in the bombscare category. Robinson's "antics" with time-wasting, getting involved with opposition forwards and, sometimes, horrendous kick-outs are infuriating but he, and Atkinson, are certainly not the worst we have had as Number 1 at Palmerston. They are probably interchangeable without it impacting too much on the team I think. Anyway, I have seen plenty of keepers, and players in other positions too, who look good playing against Queens but some how don't replicate that form once they join us.

Next up is Ayr United. Hopefully we can put in another performance like yesterday (without conceding soft goals) and get some points which should really end any lingering relegation zone fears.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Lee doesnt help himself with some of his antics (he has some sort of running spat with Simon Murray since Murray stood on him at Tannadice on the opening day) but I just dont see this suggestion that his actual goalkeeping has let us down much. That wall at Falkirk that let Hippolyte score was a bad error but I dont blame him for much else. I would need to see the second goal yesterday again to see if he should have done better with the original shot but I certainly dont blame him for the first. As well as he played generally that one goes down to Ky Jacobs.

There arent many Championship level keepers I would swap for Lee.

Of the similar sized teams in the league I'd go for

Kevin Cuthbert

Alan Martin

Derek Gaston

Sean Murdoch

They all seem to be able to organise a defence better than Robinson and Cuthbert is probably the only reason Raith aren't bottom yet.

All of this goalkeeping chat and nobody has mentioned that our young German superstar, Luis 'Manny Neuer' Zwick is out of contract at the end of the season. Because we are such a nice bunch we might be willing to let you have him.

28 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

Just watched the highlights on Arabzone. Bloody hell.

It would have taken something special to be shocked at our defending after some of the goals lost in the last few weeks, but we really put on a show yesterday.

It would have taken something special to be shocked at our defending after some of the goals lost in the last few weeks, but we really put on a show yesterday.

Every time we think we can't get any worse, we do. It's almost impressive.

1 hour ago, Sloop John B said:

Of the similar sized teams in the league I'd go for

Kevin Cuthbert

Alan Martin

Derek Gaston

Sean Murdoch

They all seem to be able to organise a defence better than Robinson and Cuthbert is probably the only reason Raith aren't bottom yet.

I'm yet to be remotely impressed with Gaston. Cuthbert is a very good keeper but appears to have been a bit injury prone in the last couple of seasons. As for Murdoch, I've not seen that much of him. Hutton played our first game with Dunfermline and he certainly didn't have much to do in the recent game at East End Park. Did he not make a ricket of our equaliser in the 2-2 draw at Palmerston?

All of this goalkeeping chat and nobody has mentioned that our young German superstar, Luis 'Manny Neuer' Zwick is out of contract at the end of the season. Because we are such a nice bunch we might be willing to let you have him.

Along with a large cheque .....oh sorry forgot you's are skint .

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I'm yet to be remotely impressed with Gaston. Cuthbert is a very good keeper but appears to have been a bit injury prone in the last couple of seasons. As for Murdoch, I've not seen that much of him. Hutton played our first game with Dunfermline and he certainly didn't have much to do in the recent game at East End Park. Did he not make a ricket of our equaliser in the 2-2 draw at Palmerston?

Gaston isn't flashy or but he organises his defence very well and there's only so long a good defence can carry a poor keeper, remember him making a howler in the game we beat Morton this season though, Cuthbert's performance against Queens in that 1-0 defeat at Starks was the best goalkeeping display this season, whilst Murdoch is in a similar situation to Robinson with a poor defence in front of him but Dunfermline's pick up in form once Hutton was out the way suggests that his presence has been at least a help to their form.

Might get to work later on seeing what the statistics say about goalkeepers

Thought we would get something but if I'm honest didn't think it would be a win .

Del and Dobbie, cool. :)

Not sure about playing Jacob's at fullback I prefer him in the middle, although difficult to argue when we got the win.

Fair play to Mikkelson hes not even close to offside for either of the goals ... but, thats only because Higgins isnt in line with Brownlie for the first (although given we had the ball its slightly more acceptable) and Brownlie is four or five yards deeper than the rest of the back four for the second goal.

Not sure Robinson could have done much about the shot before second goal. It looks like he tries to palm it over the bar but it dips and hits him a bit lower down. Theres no need, though, for him to charge out of his box like that for the first.

3 hours ago, Mr X said:

Fair play to Mikkelson hes not even close to offside for either of the goals ... but, thats only because Higgins isnt in line with Brownlie for the first (although given we had the ball its slightly more acceptable) and Brownlie is four or five yards deeper than the rest of the back four for the second goal.

Not sure Robinson could have done much about the shot before second goal. It looks like he tries to palm it over the bar but it dips and hits him a bit lower down. Theres no need, though, for him to charge out of his box like that for the first.

Excellent highlights as usual. Learned a few things from them.

Firstly on your points above, having seen it again, Lee does come for the first when he probably doesn't need to. At the time I thought he was going to get there and no doubt so did he or he wouldn't have done it. Mikkelsen was deceptively quick on it to be fair to him and it's a tremendous finish from a tight angle. I still blame Jacobs far more than Robinson but it's an error never the less.

On the second Lee could maybe have done better with the shot but I certainly wouldn't blame him for it. Nor is Brownlie's position a particular issue as Mikkelsen is his man anyway. The problem is he reacts far slower to the possibility of a rebound than the striker who is already anticipating it before it gets to Lee. Both goals are actually big credit to Mikkelsen but there's still plenty of self inflicted problems in both.

On other things:
Before the United equaliser we were awarded a free kick for a pull back by 'The Edge' on Thomas right on the goal-line. It WAS a foul but I've no idea why they didn't just play advantage as we had a really good chance (and ended up netting though I accept the United defence had stopped trying to block it by then). We end up losing a goal from it as the free kick is cleared for a throw from which Jacobs gives the ball away and Mikkelsen scores the equaliser.

Bell hasn't covered himself in glory on our second. It's nothing clever from Dobbie and quite poorly hit. It goes under him. I don't see any foul on Flood in the build up though, excellent work from Thomas to not give it up.

We should absolutely certainly have had an indirect free kick for 'The Edge' sitting on the ball inside his own 6 yard box. No idea how the officials missed that one from there.

I thought at the time Zwick was dreadful on our 3rd goal and he was. He lets a fairly tame shot past him. I thought he got something on it at the time but he doesn't even manage that. It just bounces under him.

No idea what Dixon is doing on the 4th either. He has to play it otherwise Joe Thomson will tap it in at the back post but I thought Hilson was putting him under a lot more pressure then he actually was when you see it again. Hilson has already run past it and Dixon has time to take a touch if he wants, though probably doesn't realise it. Instead it goes in off his standing foot with barely a reaction. To be fair to Lyndon it's an excellent back post header with a fair bit of power in it.

4 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Excellent highlights as usual. Learned a few things from them.

Firstly on your points above, having seen it again, Lee does come for the first when he probably doesn't need to. At the time I thought he was going to get there and no doubt so did he or he wouldn't have done it. Mikkelsen was deceptively quick on it to be fair to him and it's a tremendous finish from a tight angle. I still blame Jacobs far more than Robinson but it's an error never the less.

On the second Lee could maybe have done better with the shot but I certainly wouldn't blame him for it. Nor is Brownlie's position a particular issue as Mikkelsen is his man anyway. The problem is he reacts far slower to the possibility of a rebound than the striker who is already anticipating it before it gets to Lee. Both goals are actually big credit to Mikkelsen but there's still plenty of self inflicted problems in both.

On other things:
Before the United equaliser we were awarded a free kick for a pull back by 'The Edge' on Thomas right on the goal-line. It WAS a foul but I've no idea why they didn't just play advantage as we had a really good chance (and ended up netting though I accept the United defence had stopped trying to block it by then). We end up losing a goal from it as the free kick is cleared for a thrown from which Jacobs gives the ball away and Mikkelsen scores the equaliser.

Bell hasn't covered himself in glory on our second. It's nothing clever from Dobbie and quite poorly hit. It goes under him. I don't see any foul on Flood in the build up though, excellent work from Thomas to not give it up.

We should absolutely certainly have had an indirect free kick for 'The Edge' sitting on the ball inside his own 6 yard box. No idea how the officials missed that one from there.

I thought at the time Zwick was dreadful on our 3rd goal and he was. He lets a fairly tame shot past him. I thought he got something on it at the time but he doesn't even manage that. It just bounces under him.

No idea what Dixon is doing on the 4th either. He has to play it otherwise Joe Thomson will tap it in at the back post but I thought Hilson was putting him under a lot more pressure then he actually was when you see it again. Hilson has already run past it and Dixon has time to take a touch if he wants, though probably doesn't realise it. Instead it goes in off his standing foot with barely a reaction. To be fair to Lyndon it's an excellent back post header with a fair bit of power in it.

Yes, Brownlie is picking up Mikkelson but being in line with your defensive partner is Centre Back 1.01. Had he been in line, Mikkelson would either have been offside or three or four yards further from goal. That might not have stopped him scoring but it might have done. The fact that Brownlie also didnt react is two mistakes not a different one.

He also got away with one when he completely lost Durnan at a free kick but he put a free header wide.

The decision not to penalise the Edge for sitting on the ball is baffling. Its a free kick all day long but the fact that he penalised Higgins for the same offence earlier in the game is unbelievable.

11 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Yes, Brownlie is picking up Mikkelson but being in line with your defensive partner is Centre Back 1.01. Had he been in line, Mikkelson would either have been offside or three or four yards further from goal. That might not have stopped him scoring but it might have done. The fact that Brownlie also didnt react is two mistakes not a different one.

Well yes, point taken. But it isn't actually his position that leads to the goal. They aren't that far out of line. When the slow mo replay freezes for the shot being taken Higgins is standing on the 18 yard line and Brownlie's a yard, maybe a yard and a half, deeper. He's certainly much nearer the edge of the box than the penalty spot and nothing like the 4 or 5 yards behind you said above. The bigger error is the reaction to it, not the position.

42 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Well yes, point taken. But it isn't actually his position that leads to the goal. They aren't that far out of line. When the slow mo replay freezes for the shot being taken Higgins is standing on the 18 yard line and Brownlie's a yard, maybe a yard and a half, deeper. He's certainly much nearer the edge of the box than the penalty spot and nothing like the 4 or 5 yards behind you said above. The bigger error is the reaction to it, not the position.

Yes, looking again its not as much as 4 or 5 yards. However, Higgins is in front of the 18 yard line and Brownlie is a yard or two behind it. More than enough to make a difference

Archived