Scotland V England

mizfit

16 hours ago, AMMjag said:

Kenny Miller is probably the best striker we've had for a good couple of decades and, in my eyes, is in the middle of one of the better spells of his career. Given our lack of on-form attacking options and general lack of intelligence across the squad, I think we've missed a trick not getting him back.

Alternatively, Miller looks good because Rangers have had a poor season and their other attacking options are absolute haddies.

It's a no from me.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2017-5-31 at 09:25, woof! said:

I'm not sure why people think Griffiths has pace.

21 hours ago, woof! said:

At international level? I don't think so.

1 hour ago, woof! said:

To clarify, you're saying he has stand out pace at international level? 

:lol:

You're an idiot.

If you have pace, then you have pace regardless of which level you're playing at. If you succeed at one level of football due to your pace then struggle at a higher level, it's not because you don't have pace at that higher level, it's because your pace isn't enough by itself and you're not good enough technically to compete. Pace doesn't increase or decrease perfectly in correlation with ability, otherwise every single player who played for Real Madrid would be rapid and every single player who played for Cowdenbeath would move like a snail.

If Leigh Griffiths is unable to get any joy out of England defenders it isn't because he doesn't have pace when playing against them, it's because those defenders have a superior level of tactical awareness compared to defenders he usually plays against, and can use that reading of the game to counteract his pace. The fact that Gary Cahill has that superior reading of the game compared to your average Hamilton or Dundee centre back that allows him to cope with Leigh Griffith's pace doesn't make him faster than Leigh Griffiths, because he isn't.

Leigh Griffiths has pace. This is a fact.

53 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

:lol:

You're an idiot.

If you have pace, then you have pace regardless of which level you're playing at. If you succeed at one level of football due to your pace then struggle at a higher level, it's not because you don't have pace at that higher level, it's because your pace isn't enough by itself and you're not good enough technically to compete. Pace doesn't increase or decrease perfectly in correlation with ability, otherwise every single player who played for Real Madrid would be rapid and every single player who played for Cowdenbeath would move like a snail.

If Leigh Griffiths is unable to get any joy out of England defenders it isn't because he doesn't have pace when playing against them, it's because those defenders have a superior level of tactical awareness compared to defenders he usually plays against, and can use that reading of the game to counteract his pace. The fact that Gary Cahill has that superior reading of the game compared to your average Hamilton or Dundee centre back that allows him to cope with Leigh Griffith's pace doesn't make him faster than Leigh Griffiths, because he isn't.

Leigh Griffiths has pace. This is a fact.

You sir, are a bampot. A tall person in Scotland is not necessarily tall in Holland. It's all relative. Griffiths is in my team all day long but not on account of his whippet-like qualities. Do you think the top clubs don't screen players for pace as part of their scouting? Real Madrid? Are you mental? 

59 minutes ago, forameus said:

Hamilton called back up then?  Or just go with 2?

I would risk going with 2 as the chances of the lad playing are less than zero.....that said, is the rule not that you have to call up 3 or is that just for tournaments themselves?

Hamilton is back in the squad.  It makes sense given that your 23 man matchday squad has to have three spaces set aside for goalkeepers anyway.  If we hadn't called him up then we'd have been a sub short.

You sir, are a bampot. A tall person in Scotland is not necessarily tall in Holland. It's all relative. Griffiths is in my team all day long but not on account of his whippet-like qualities. Do you think the top clubs don't screen players for pace as part of their scouting? Real Madrid? Are you mental? 

Real Madrid play club football

OK, children, enough with the name-calling. If you can't debate without using insults then ust agree to disagree and learn that people have different opinions.

If not, join up with the TAMB - as name calling, ect, is all they do there.

Back on topic:

It would typical of us to show up against England, beat them to a bloody pulp, and then lose to Malta and Lithuania in September.

We are worryingly bad at the back and at the front, so I say we go back to the good old 3-5-2. I am sick and tired of playing with a back four. And with the power-puff players we have up-front, I think they need as much help as possible. I'd start with both Martin and Griffiths up front.

20 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Punting the ball into corners for Kenny Miller to chase for a decade is part of the reason why we have been rotten for years.

He gave his all for the team but that isn't enough at this level. We had to move away from they tactics for our own sanity.

What has this got to do with Miller being in this squad or not? He didn't encourage those kind of isolatory front man tactics - failed managers did, and we saw this whether it was Miller, Iwelumo, Mackail-Smith or whoever that played. I think it's testament to his intelligence and work-rate as a player that he still made a mark in most of the games he played despite being so isolated, and I do wonder if it's just a Scottish/British thing to castigate these types of players as headless chickens.

Although I'd start with Griffiths, he hasn't yet scored an international goal and I worry he has a tendency to go missing if things don't go his way. Miller had a track-record for making an impact in these types of games and I don't think he's regressed at all since retiring from international football. I think he's a much more appealing back-up than Martin.

Severe lack of options at centre half and striker. Would like to see us play a similar setup to Liverpool with wee fast guys moving all over the place. No doubt strachan will play Martin and just lump long balls up to him. 

What has this got to do with Miller being in this squad or not? He didn't encourage those kind of isolatory front man tactics - failed managers did, and we saw this whether it was Miller, Iwelumo, Mackail-Smith or whoever that played. I think it's testament to his intelligence and work-rate as a player that he still made a mark in most of the games he played despite being so isolated, and I do wonder if it's just a Scottish/British thing to castigate these types of players as headless chickens.
Although I'd start with Griffiths, he hasn't yet scored an international goal and I worry he has a tendency to go missing if things don't go his way. Miller had a track-record for making an impact in these types of games and I don't think he's regressed at all since retiring from international football. I think he's a much more appealing back-up than Martin.

Miller was excellent for Scotland wish we had a Kenny miller at his peak for this game. Also our 6th top scorer of all time and his goals weren't pointless friendly games he done it on the big stage. He is well past his best now however but I would prob have him along with the squad.

Noticed jack Mcbean in the la galaxy first team has been on the bench most weeks with a bit of game time. Seem to remember him having a trial at hibs and not making the grade one or two years ago but must have improved. Still only 22 but will prob end up getting capped by the USA although still eligible for us.

Noticed jack Mcbean in the la galaxy first team has been on the bench most weeks with a bit of game time. Seem to remember him having a trial at hibs and not making the grade one or two years ago but must have improved. Still only 22 but will prob end up getting capped by the USA although still eligible for us.

He's mediocre. He played for Galaxy first team sparingly for 3 seasons making little impact as a forward and they dropped him to the USL (reserve team) for a year where he seemed to find his form. But he's not good enough for MLS which is rated as equivalent lower level English championship / top League 1 level. Therefore will not make it into ANY national team.

The years the Galaxy won the MLS cup he didn't play and was watching from the stands.

He's mediocre. He played for Galaxy first team sparingly for 3 seasons making little impact as a forward and they dropped him to the USL (reserve team) for a year where he seemed to find his form. But he's not good enough for MLS which is rated as equivalent lower level English championship / top League 1 level. Therefore will not make it into ANY national team.

The years the Galaxy won the MLS cup he didn't play and was watching from the stands.

Yep probably grasping at straws - if he does go on play regular for la galaxy though may be worth another look as leaving Celtic aside MLS is now a stronger league than the SPL lots of international play there now and is certainly improving year on year.

Seen a few things on Facebook going round about the England fans getting a "one Bradley Lowery" chant on the 6th minute.

Would be a good touch if we all joined in, or applauded it at the very least.

Seen a few things on Facebook going round about the England fans getting a "one Bradley Lowery" chant on the 6th minute.

Going by his mums posts earlier he hasn't got long left unfortunately.

6 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:

I hope so.

With the activities in London this morning, this wee lad has more courage and spirit than most.

Archived