The Robert Thomson Derby

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, IainMorton said:

Any chance we could have Thomson a few months early? :(

Genuinely, Thommo has been far more effective on the left wing for us. He did a decent job today winning headers but he gets far more involved when he's playing left. No doubt we'll miss him though, he always puts a shift in.

9 minutes ago, Randy Giles said:

Personally, I thought it was done last Saturday and I didn't see much on Wednesday to change my mind.

Aye its really just a few absolute thickos like that tonup guy that were always going to look silly.

I'm sure most Morton fans knew they weren't really in it and a fair few said as much.

Jim Duffy seemed to rotate his squad a bit today; not a daft idea when you have quick series of fixtures, but when it goes pear-shaped it looks in fact like a rank bad idea.  So it proved, and by the time Forbes and Nesbitt entered the fray Morton had become all about pressure with very little composure.

Bearing in mind that we were minus the physical presence of Nade and Fleming and we were facing arguably the second best team in the division this was a big win for us - we needed a shift from everyone and we got it.  Possibly equally important was that we were able to close the game out from a winning position.  And it helped that, as has been said, Tidser was virtually anonymous.

Good luck to Morton in the play-offs, decent club with decent fans.

Huge win. We rode our luck at times but given how previous fixtures between the two teams have gone this season, it's arguable that we deserve a bit of luck. Morton showed why they are where they are in the league and caused us no end of problems, but we created a few chances ourselves and had we been more clinical then we could have scored another couple. It was an enjoyable game, in no small part to the important result, and results elsewhere also went our way - a huge turnaround from the weekend where we took a point from Easter Road when our relegation rivals all took 3.

Need to make sure we keep battling. Still a lot of football to be played but today was very important for us.

I knew as soon as the team was announced we'd struggle to score. Whilst we played midweek and it took a lot out of the forward players in particular, Shankland, Tiffoney & Donnelly just aren't adequate enough replacements. Donnelly & Shanks linked up reasonably well at times, but we sorely lacked Oliver & Nesbitt's pressing, just as we did against Dunfermline. Michael Tidser was dreadful today as well, as bad a performance from him in a Morton shirt as I can recall seeing. Mark Russell still looks to be lacking in confidence. There was no real tempo today, no urgency, until it was too late anyway.

We were perhaps a bit unlucky, with the efforts off the post, saves and the offside goal but you have to take your chances. I'd have put money on Quitingo or Oliver taking some of the ones we created today as well, but what can you do. We concede few goals and have a terrific midfield (when they're not knackered) but that lack of a goalscorer up top could end up costing us this season, this game a prime example. 

We had a decent number of corners too, which we once again did nothing with. For a team renowned for its set pieces, we really should be better at them. 

Fair play to Dumbarton, good win for them and keeps them above the scum. Thomson looks a handy player and we could certainly do with him for the run in. 

Oh well, at least we've got two less challenging games coming up...

1 hour ago, jimmy boo said:

Useless morton c***s! !!

I was finding it impossible to take any positives from today's result. I'd never have believed that jimmy boy would come to the rescue. Thanks for that, jimmy boy!

Did you get to see the skunk match on periscope?

1 hour ago, Sweet Pete said:

Had to leave early. I'd forgotten just how infuriating it is to sit and listen to the nonsense shouts from hot-headed bampots who, apparently, are never watching the same game as me. Missed the goal as a result. Good win though.

You didn't win. Your lot drew 1-1.

Not a great display from Dumbarton. Lucky a wee bit today, but we have had no luck recently. They say you make your own luck. Hopefully we can do something next week at St Mirren. Is Garry suspended for that as well ? I changed my scarf today as a wee superstition and it worked. I'm no washing my clothes. Same again next week

20 minutes ago, Martin Nelson said:

When Vaughan signed for Dumbarton you just knew this would be the outcome. What a total and utter farce this is.

I've summed up feelings towards a former manager of Raith before and the people that boy brought to the club.  I'll give you some comfort and confirm he is loyal to Raith for looking after him though.  

17 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

I knew as soon as the team was announced we'd struggle to score. Whilst we played midweek and it took a lot out of the forward players in particular, Shankland, Tiffoney & Donnelly just aren't adequate enough replacements. Donnelly & Shanks linked up reasonably well at times, but we sorely lacked Oliver & Nesbitt's pressing, just as we did against Dunfermline. Michael Tidser was dreadful today as well, as bad a performance from him in a Morton shirt as I can recall seeing. Mark Russell still looks to be lacking in confidence. There was no real tempo today, no urgency, until it was too late anyway.

We were perhaps a bit unlucky, with the efforts off the post, saves and the offside goal but you have to take your chances. I'd have put money on Quitingo or Oliver taking some of the ones we created today as well, but what can you do. We concede few goals and have a terrific midfield (when they're not knackered) but that lack of a goalscorer up top could end up costing us this season, this game a prime example. 

We had a decent number of corners too, which we once again did nothing with. For a team renowned for its set pieces, we really should be better at them. 

Fair play to Dumbarton, good win for them and keeps them above the scum. Thomson looks a handy player and we could certainly do with him for the run in. 

Oh well, at least we've got two less challenging games coming up...

I hope Falkirk rattle yous in the playoffs.  

1 minute ago, Tam Carson is my No 1 said:

Not a great display from Dumbarton. Lucky a wee bit today, but we have had no luck recently. They say you make your own luck. Hopefully we can do something next week at St Mirren. Is Garry suspended for that as well ? I changed my scarf today as a wee superstition and it worked. I'm no washing my clothes. Same again next week

I think your doing the players a bit of a disservice there Tam Carson, they  fought hard, worked their socks off & took the game to Morton at times. We did get some luck for a change, especially The Ton' hitting the woodwork on numerous occasions & despite that dick of a standside linesman.

Don't wash them clothes though

Archived