3 foreigner rule

20 hours ago, 10menwent2mow said:

If it was three players from outwith the UK (and maybe Ireland at a push) then I'd perhaps be in favour. Mainly saying this as at the moment our starting XI has

3 x English - Lewis, Logan, Taylor

4 x Scottish - Considine, Shinnie, Jack, McLean

1 x NI - McGinn

3 x ROI - O'Connor, Hayes, Rooney

As has been mentioned, if it were 8 Scots then Celtic would just be hovering up all the best talent and no-one else would have a look in.

Dundee - 6 x Scots - 2 x English - 1 x French - 1 x ROI - 1 x Moroccan

Hamilton - 7 x Scots - 2 x English - 1 x Greek - 1 x Brazilian

St Johnstone - 7 x Scots - 2 x ROI -  2 x NI

Inverness CT - 6 x English - 3 x Scots - 1 x Welsh - 1 x NI

Kilmarnock - 5 x Scots - 2 x English - 2 x ROI - 1 x NI - 1 x Norwegian

Partick -  4 x Scots - 2 x ROI - 1 x English - 1 x Czech - 1 x Ghanian - 1 x Aussie - 1 x Sierra Leonese

Ross County - 5 x Scots - 2 x English - 2 x Dutch - 1 x NI - 1 x French

Rangers - 4 x Scots - 3 x English - 1 x ROI - 1 x NI - 1 x American - 1 x Spaniard

Motherwell - 5 x English - 4 x Scots - 1 x ROI - 1 x Aussie

Hearts - 3 x Scots - 2 x Greek - 2 x American - 1 x Slovenian - 1 x Pole - 1 x German - 1 x Portugese

Celtic - 6 x Scots - 2 x English - 1 x Swede - 1 x Croatian - 1 x Belgian

That's the make up of the starting XI's from the weekends games. No-one fielded as many as 8 Scots, however only Partick and Hearts fielded more than 3 players from outwith the UK. I apologise if there are any errors in that post but I took all the nationalities from Wikipedia as it was quickest.

Not that It really matters, but Ash Taylor played U-19 and U-21 for Wales. 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, sjc said:

You're right. The lack of women in the SPFL 1st teams is downright sexist. I won't be happy until Gordon Strachan picks a black, Muslim lesbian for Scotland. 

If anything, the 3 foreigners would be the star players in the team. Hardly promoting xenophobia.

fishing for bites hopefully

You're right. The lack of women in the SPFL 1st teams is downright sexist. I won't be happy until Gordon Strachan picks a black, Muslim lesbian for Scotland. 
If anything, the 3 foreigners would be the star players in the team. Hardly promoting xenophobia.

Surely still unhappy as Strachan appears to be still in charge of the National team?

If you read my previous posts on this thread you'll see that I've never said we should introduce this rule. As stated previously, Scotland problem isn't quantity but that of quality of players being produced. For example: The glass ceiling is more of an issue for young English players in England therefore it's a rule that would need to be implemented Europe or Worldwide in order to have any real effect on the game.
I agree with much of your follow up post, that said, if all our Club were to be filled with players from these Countries it would then create an issue for an already ailing National team.

^^^ word salad

Nobody claimed that domestic sides would be "filled" with players from other countries; there is absolutely no evidence of a "glass ceiling" limiting UK players. The main reason why they aren't getting a game is because they're not good enough.

It is not the role of domestic clubs to sacrifice their own performances and results to prop up a shan, failed product like international football.

59 minutes ago, virginton said:

^^^ word salad

Nobody claimed that domestic sides would be "filled" with players from other countries; there is absolutely no evidence of a "glass ceiling" limiting UK players. The main reason why they aren't getting a game is because they're not good enough.

It is not the role of domestic clubs to sacrifice their own performances and results to prop up a shan, failed product like international football.

Away back to your misery pit - the bigger boys are talking.

You can come back when your team's bottle doesn't crash.

It's worth bearing in mind that a lot of footballers who are originally from other countries do in fact have indefinite leave to remain in the United Kingdom, having been here for more than 5 years.

I find the idea that we should exclude people from playing based on the citizenship they possess pretty disgusting, to be honest.

6 hours ago, virginton said:

^^^ word salad

I think if you look at the number of home grown players in the EPL you'll see there definitely is a glass ceiling. Chelsea for example spent £30m on a reserve forward last summer......how's a youngster at the Club supposed to gain experience at the highest level when Clubs continually buy players further along the line in terms of development? 

The idea of the thread was to discuss the merits of the rule which when previously applied Europe wide (albeit differently in the UK) was the last time the European competitions had any semblance of parity.

Anyway, I await "thanks for playing" or some other of your very tired vTism in the near future.

Archived