3 foreigner rule

After taking a trip down memory lane the other night on the classic Championship Manager Italia 1995 game I noticed how you were restricted to playing 3 foreigners.

Should we introduce this rule into the SPFL?

It would create even more opportunities for home grown players to get exposure to 1st team football at the highest level domestically and although it would artificially increase the domestic transfer market at least that money would stay in the Country and filter it's way down the ladder.

I'm well aware that the standard of youth coaching and player development in Scotland is pish and needs a complete overhaul but this in addition could remove a potential glass ceiling. 

Here's a link to the online game btw:

http://playdosgamesonline.com/championship-manager-italia.html

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Ahh... The 8 diddies rule.

Most teams have 11 diddies on the park in Scotland tbh and then there's the 5 on the bench too!

I remember this from the old Football Italia days. I think they were called Stranieri iirc. I'm sure AC Milan signed Jean-Pierre Papin, then ended up benching him most weeks as they already had the likes of Gullit, Rijkaard and Van Basten. 

The eight diddies rule was a good thing, but it - or something like it - has never been imposed domestically in the British game, as far as I'm aware.

It existed in European competition though and for a time kept a lid on things.

Ironically, Rangers were one of the most vocal in lobbying for the rule's scrapping, despite enjoying their best campaign - 1992/93 - during its heyday.

They saw the fact that they came from a small country as a handicap as their pool of potential players for games in such competitions was relatively little, compared to say, English sides.

What they didn't foresee was that money would explode in the big countries, allowing the big clubs in these places to become world selects.  

It meant that a multinational Rangers was very much further behind a multinational Chelsea or Arsenal, than a mainly Scottish Rangers had been against a largely English Leeds.

I favour this kind of protectionism in football and would welcome it in the domestic game.

It would be horrendous. Scots don't stay in this league anymore anyway, so all we'd see if the best ones who are willing to stay dredged into Celtics squad. It would improve the square root of f**k all.

As long as we are in U.K we can't put restrictions on the number of players from England, Wales or Northern Ireland and for now we can't put any restrictions on EU players, unless we have a hard brexit and leave the UK, I don't see how it would be legally enforceable.

Also I think, other than few teams, generally speaking young players do get chances. The idea is really just a gimmick which ignores the real problems with coaching and general attitude of young players towards things like diet and fitness.

3 hours ago, sjc said:

After taking a trip down memory lane the other night on the classic Championship Manager Italia 1995 game I noticed how you were restricted to playing 3 foreigners.

Should we introduce this rule into the SPFL?

It would create even more opportunities for home grown players to get exposure to 1st team football at the highest level domestically and although it would artificially increase the domestic transfer market at least that money would stay in the Country and filter it's way down the ladder.

I'm well aware that the standard of youth coaching and player development in Scotland is pish and needs a complete overhaul but this in addition could remove a potential glass ceiling. 

Here's a link to the online game btw:

http://playdosgamesonline.com/championship-manager-italia.html

Go for it, I'd love to see Hearts deal with only being able to play 3 of the 18 foreigners in their squad (including those out on load).

10 minutes ago, gkneil said:

Go for it, I'd love to see Hearts deal with only being able to play 3 of the 18 foreigners in their squad (including those out on load).

You say that as if I only give a f**k about my team as opposed to the game as a whole. 

29 minutes ago, JamieThomas said:

A team full of Jamie fucking Hammils. Sign me right up for that.

You & Paulo would still be moaning even if we had a team full of Ronaldos!  

I'd be all in favour of it, but only if it was imposed along with a ban on anyone moaning about the bigger teams buying all the good Scottish players and leaving them to rot on the bench/stands.

I think the French League has a restriction on squad size, maximum of 22 senior players can be registered and outside of those players you can only use guys who are under 21. That might be a better solution in Scotland, though again it would probably have little long term impact given the disparity of resources in our game.

39 minutes ago, Turkmenbashi said:

As long as we are in U.K we can't put restrictions on the number of players from England, Wales or Northern Ireland and for now we can't put any restrictions on EU players, unless we have a hard brexit and leave the UK, I don't see how it would be legally enforceable.

Also I think, other than few teams, generally speaking young players do get chances. The idea is really just a gimmick which ignores the real problems with coaching and general attitude of young players towards things like diet and fitness.

Legally yes but it's essentially a private members club so can have the Clubs sign up to it (if they agree to it initially of course).

I agree that the bigger issue is the coaching and development of young players though.

2 minutes ago, Ross. said:

I'd be all in favour of it, but only if it was imposed along with a ban on anyone moaning about the bigger teams buying all the good Scottish players and leaving them to rot on the bench/stands.

I think the French League has a restriction on squad size, maximum of 22 senior players can be registered and outside of those players you can only use guys who are under 21. That might be a better solution in Scotland, though again it would probably have little long term impact given the disparity of resources in our game.

I've been in favour of squad size restrictions being enforced for years.

58 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The eight diddies rule was a good thing, but it - or something like it - has never been imposed domestically in the British game, as far as I'm aware.

It existed in European competition though and for a time kept a lid on things.

Ironically, Rangers were one of the most vocal in lobbying for the rule's scrapping, despite enjoying their best campaign - 1992/93 - during its heyday.

They saw the fact that they came from a small country as a handicap as their pool of potential players for games in such competitions was relatively little, compared to say, English sides.

What they didn't foresee was that money would explode in the big countries, allowing the big clubs in these places to become world selects.  

It meant that a multinational Rangers was very much further behind a multinational Chelsea or Arsenal, than a mainly Scottish Rangers had been against a largely English Leeds.

I favour this kind of protectionism in football and would welcome it in the domestic game.

If imposed Europe/World wide it could possibly restore some parity in European competitions.

Won't happen though. Was gutted when China implemented it as I had hoped they would decimate the big European leagues of their top players!

You couldn't restrict players from rUK from playing, because they aren't foreigners. With that in mind, most clubs already meet the criteria.

If there was somehow a way to ensure it was only Scots, all we would see is Celtic and Rangers stockpiling the best youngsters and other clubs suffering badly.

37 minutes ago, sjc said:

I've been in favour of squad size restrictions being enforced for years.

It would, in theory at least, see a concentration of better quality at some clubs. Celtic wouldn't bother signing guys like Scott Allan, GMS or Nadir Ciftci for example because they wouldn't have the space available to include them most weeks, so instead of spending money on all 3 of them they would likely spend more money on one single player who is definitely good enough to get a game.

Squad sizes should be restricted, and the number of subs who are both stripped and can be fielded, should be trimmed right back.

The way both numbers have risen in recent years has served simply to exacerbate differences in resources.

Squad sizes should be restricted, and the number of subs who are both stripped and can be fielded, should be trimmed right back.
The way both numbers have risen in recent years has served simply to exacerbate differences in resources.

Players should be allowed to shoulder charge goalkeepers and they should be able to pick up pass backs aswell

Archived