3 foreigner rule

1 minute ago, sjc said:

You're right. The lack of women in the SPFL 1st teams is downright sexist. I won't be happy until Gordon Strachan picks a black, Muslim lesbian for Scotland. 

If anything, the 3 foreigners would be the star players in the team. Hardly promoting xenophobia.

It kind of is. Theres a huge Polish community in Perth, a strong chance theres decent young footballers in there, but since their young and Polish, we'd have almost no reason to put them through our youth team as the chance of them ever starting would be slim. All you're proposal means is that "foreign" children who live over here have less opportunities than Scottish youngsters.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You're right. The lack of women in the SPFL 1st teams is downright sexist. I won't be happy until Gordon Strachan picks a black, Muslim lesbian for Scotland.  If anything, the 3 foreigners would be the star players in the team. Hardly promoting xenophobia. 

^^^ heads gone

If someone suggested that women should hold a legal maximum of three out of eleven posts in a company at any given time and insisted that would be okay as women would stand out within the group then they would quite clearly be marked out as a sexist, cretinous dinosaur. And here you are, making the same utterly ludicrous argument about rules that ought to apply to "foreigners" within Scottish football.

It's safe to say that this thread has turned into an absolute disaster for you.

The commercial future of Scottish club sides rests in using their relative wealth to sign quality players from across continental Europe (in which most of the leagues are far weaker financially than the Scottish game) and selling them on for huge profits to the major western European leagues. Scottish clubs should be all over the Czech, Polish, Slovak, Balkan and Hungarian leagues, which have tons of capable players who perform for absolute buttons compared to those playing for similar sized clubs in Scotland. Instead, Scottish clubs try to bring through their own "home-grown" mediocrities from a shallow talent pool, with overpaid, English lower and non-league jobbers being used to pad the rest of the team out.

Scottish clubs should market themselves as the entry point into the neighbouring English league to higher quality foreign players, in the same way that Portuguese football sides act as a hugely profitable go-between for (mostly South American) players entering the Spanish transfer market.

45 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It kind of is. Theres a huge Polish community in Perth, a strong chance theres decent young footballers in there, but since their young and Polish, we'd have almost no reason to put them through our youth team as the chance of them ever starting would be slim. All you're proposal means is that "foreign" children who live over here have less opportunities than Scottish youngsters.

I believe that children of foreigners educated in the specific Country would have qualified under the "assimilated" rule back then.

51 minutes ago, virginton said:

^^^ heads gone

If someone suggested that women should hold a legal maximum of three out of eleven posts in a company at any given time and insisted that would be okay as women would stand out within the group then they would quite clearly be marked out as a sexist, cretinous dinosaur. And here you are, making the same utterly ludicrous argument about rules that ought to apply to "foreigners" within Scottish football.

It's safe to say that this thread has turned into an absolute disaster for you.

40 minutes ago, virginton said:

The commercial future of Scottish club sides rests in using their relative wealth to sign quality players from across continental Europe (in which most of the leagues are far weaker financially than the Scottish game) and selling them on for huge profits to the major western European leagues. Scottish clubs should be all over the Czech, Polish, Slovak, Balkan and Hungarian leagues, which have tons of capable players who perform for absolute buttons compared to those playing for similar sized clubs in Scotland. Instead, Scottish clubs try to bring through their own "home-grown" mediocrities from a shallow talent pool, with overpaid, English lower and non-league jobbers being used to pad the rest of the team out.

Scottish clubs should market themselves as the entry point into the neighbouring English league to higher quality foreign players, in the same way that Portuguese football sides act as a hugely profitable go-between for (mostly South American) players entering the Spanish transfer market.

If you read my previous posts on this thread you'll see that I've never said we should introduce this rule. As stated previously, Scotland problem isn't quantity but that of quality of players being produced. For example: The glass ceiling is more of an issue for young English players in England therefore it's a rule that would need to be implemented Europe or Worldwide in order to have any real effect on the game.

I agree with much of your follow up post, that said, if all our Club were to be filled with players from these Countries it would then create an issue for an already ailing National team.

16 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Restricting people based on nationality is the sort of shit UKIP come out with. A shit idea.

In fairness, Scotland have kind of given up on their National teams in international sport....

7 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Whats not? Richer clubs have better facilities, more players at better facilities = better players. You then get these better players filtering down the league either on loan or if they want first team football, and they either improve the team or end up earning them money, as they're better players due to a better standard of coaching. We're currently missing about eight players, are you telling me we should be forced to try and cope with something like that as we're only allowed 23/25 players? Or are we expected to throw away our chances of Europe by chucking in 16 year olds?

Ah, trickle down.

A belief in the rightness of wildly free markets is alive and well among those accusing others of being right wing, I see.

Ah, trickle down.
A belief in the rightness of wildly free markets is alive and well among those accusing others of being right wing, I see.

Don't bring politics into this. We've currently got eight players out on loan. Most are performing well at their clubs, and most will be on our first team next season. Restricted squad size would halve that number, maybe more.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Don't bring politics into this. We've currently got eight players out on loan. Most are performing well at their clubs, and most will be on our first team next season. Restricted squad size would halve that number, maybe more.

So far on this, I've been called Farage, xenophobic and UKip like.  I think it's fair to say that others who you've not pulled up, see a political dimension to this.

When you cite your own particular club's circumstances during the current particular snapshot, it's clear that a bigger picture escapes you.

So far on this, I've been called Farage, xenophobic and UKip like.  I think it's fair to say that others who you've not pulled up, see a political dimension to this.
When you cite your own particular club's circumstances during the current particular snapshot, it's clear that a bigger picture escapes you.

The bigger picture doesn't escape me, I'm not moronic enough to believe that limiting the number of players will magically improve anything, as I've seen teams struggling to even have a 25 man squad (incidentally, since you seem clued up on this, tell me how many teams would actually fill that quota at the moment anyway..), and then get hit with an injury crisis. All it'll do is maybe hinder Celtic.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

The bigger picture doesn't escape me, I'm not moronic enough to believe that limiting the number of players will magically improve anything, as I've seen teams struggling to even have a 25 man squad (incidentally, since you seem clued up on this, tell me how many teams would actually fill that quota at the moment anyway..), and then get hit with an injury crisis. All it'll do is maybe hinder Celtic.

Hindering Celtic is in itself a very noble objective.  Their advantages and capacity to exert them are big problems for our game just now.

I'm not moronic enough to believe this would magically bring about vast improvement either, which is why I've made no such claim.  Neither however, am I moronic enough to keep citing the current situation and its difference from a proposed one, as evidence of why we can't possibly change it.

Hindering Celtic is in itself a very noble objective.  Their advantages and capacity to exert them are big problems for our game just now.
I'm not moronic enough to believe this would magically bring about vast improvement either, which is why I've made no such claim.  Neither however, am I moronic enough to keep citing the current situation and its difference from a proposed one, as evidence of why we can't possibly change it.

I'm just struggling to understand what benefits there would actually be, as I assume it would be a 25 man squad, with U21s not included but still eligible (like most of these rules), and that's something that most clubs in the country don't fulfill anyway. Literally nothing would change but you'd have this ghost rule in place doing nothing.

15 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm just struggling to understand what benefits there would actually be, as I assume it would be a 25 man squad, with U21s not included but still eligible (like most of these rules), and that's something that most clubs in the country don't fulfill anyway. Literally nothing would change but you'd have this ghost rule in place doing nothing.

We'd have a more egalitarian game because the ludicrous imbalance between our biggest clubs and the rest, would be harder to exploit.

We'd have a more egalitarian game because the ludicrous imbalance between our biggest clubs and the rest, would be harder to exploit.

How? Celtic have to comply with European competition squad rules anyway, so their squad wouldn't exactly be radically changed.

Celtic currently employ 25 players?

They have a first team squad of 25 players just now, as far as I can tell. So there would be no change to their squad.

If you're suggesting they wouldn't sign anyone else, then you're mad, as they'd still sign these players and loan them out incase of injuries/sales to their first team. The restrictions wouldn't be on signings, just registering players.

What exactly would be different?

Archived