3 foreigner rule

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Players should be allowed to shoulder charge goalkeepers and they should be able to pick up pass backs aswell

Do you think so?

No, I'd say that the changes there, particularly regarding the pass back, have been positive.

You see, I'm capable of assessing things on their merits, rather than just grouping things together as 'old' or 'new' and judging them sweepingly.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you think so?
No, I'd say that the changes there, particularly regarding the pass back, have been positive.
You see, I'm capable of assessing things on their merits, rather than just grouping things together as 'old' or 'new' and judging them sweepingly.

I'm not grouping your suggestion as "old", I'm grouping it as "backwards"

If it was three players from outwith the UK (and maybe Ireland at a push) then I'd perhaps be in favour. Mainly saying this as at the moment our starting XI has

3 x English - Lewis, Logan, Taylor

4 x Scottish - Considine, Shinnie, Jack, McLean

1 x NI - McGinn

3 x ROI - O'Connor, Hayes, Rooney

As has been mentioned, if it were 8 Scots then Celtic would just be hovering up all the best talent and no-one else would have a look in.

Dundee - 6 x Scots - 2 x English - 1 x French - 1 x ROI - 1 x Moroccan

Hamilton - 7 x Scots - 2 x English - 1 x Greek - 1 x Brazilian

St Johnstone - 7 x Scots - 2 x ROI -  2 x NI

Inverness CT - 6 x English - 3 x Scots - 1 x Welsh - 1 x NI

Kilmarnock - 5 x Scots - 2 x English - 2 x ROI - 1 x NI - 1 x Norwegian

Partick -  4 x Scots - 2 x ROI - 1 x English - 1 x Czech - 1 x Ghanian - 1 x Aussie - 1 x Sierra Leonese

Ross County - 5 x Scots - 2 x English - 2 x Dutch - 1 x NI - 1 x French

Rangers - 4 x Scots - 3 x English - 1 x ROI - 1 x NI - 1 x American - 1 x Spaniard

Motherwell - 5 x English - 4 x Scots - 1 x ROI - 1 x Aussie

Hearts - 3 x Scots - 2 x Greek - 2 x American - 1 x Slovenian - 1 x Pole - 1 x German - 1 x Portugese

Celtic - 6 x Scots - 2 x English - 1 x Swede - 1 x Croatian - 1 x Belgian

That's the make up of the starting XI's from the weekends games. No-one fielded as many as 8 Scots, however only Partick and Hearts fielded more than 3 players from outwith the UK. I apologise if there are any errors in that post but I took all the nationalities from Wikipedia as it was quickest.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Why?

What's progressive about enabling rich teams to have vast squads?

It would f**k RG's football manager 2017 team up though....

51 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

If it was three players from outwith the UK (and maybe Ireland at a push) then I'd perhaps be in favour. Mainly saying this as at the moment our starting XI has

3 x English - Lewis, Logan, Taylor

4 x Scottish - Considine, Shinnie, Jack, McLean

1 x NI - McGinn

3 x ROI - O'Connor, Hayes, Rooney

As has been mentioned, if it were 8 Scots then Celtic would just be hovering up all the best talent and no-one else would have a look in.

Dundee - 6 x Scots - 2 x English - 1 x French - 1 x ROI - 1 x Moroccan

Hamilton - 7 x Scots - 2 x English - 1 x Greek - 1 x Brazilian

St Johnstone - 7 x Scots - 2 x ROI -  2 x NI

Inverness CT - 6 x English - 3 x Scots - 1 x Welsh - 1 x NI

Kilmarnock - 5 x Scots - 2 x English - 2 x ROI - 1 x NI - 1 x Norwegian

Partick -  4 x Scots - 2 x ROI - 1 x English - 1 x Czech - 1 x Ghanian - 1 x Aussie - 1 x Sierra Leonese

Ross County - 5 x Scots - 2 x English - 2 x Dutch - 1 x NI - 1 x French

Rangers - 4 x Scots - 3 x English - 1 x ROI - 1 x NI - 1 x American - 1 x Spaniard

Motherwell - 5 x English - 4 x Scots - 1 x ROI - 1 x Aussie

Hearts - 3 x Scots - 2 x Greek - 2 x American - 1 x Slovenian - 1 x Pole - 1 x German - 1 x Portugese

Celtic - 6 x Scots - 2 x English - 1 x Swede - 1 x Croatian - 1 x Belgian

That's the make up of the starting XI's from the weekends games. No-one fielded as many as 8 Scots, however only Partick and Hearts fielded more than 3 players from outwith the UK. I apologise if there are any errors in that post but I took all the nationalities from Wikipedia as it was quickest.

If we were in this hypothetical situation then it might come down to country of birth vs country declared for at international level. Both of our 2 "ROI" players were born in England.

3 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

If we were in this hypothetical situation then it might come down to country of birth vs country declared for at international level. Both of our 2 "ROI" players were born in England.

Yeah, like I said, just took it from Wikipedia, according to Dundee's website, El Bhaktoui is French.

The only danger of Celtic hoovering up good Scots, would come because of the hideous imbalance in the game, alongside rules that allow them to have a huge squad.

A more controlled environment would mitigate against some of that too.

If we want autonomy as a footballing nation, we can't treat the British Isles as a single country for the purposes of this.

Listing how many non-Scots currently play in our league is a better argument for the 8 diddy rule than against it.

9 hours ago, sjc said:

After taking a trip down memory lane the other night on the classic Championship Manager Italia 1995 game I noticed how you were restricted to playing 3 foreigners.

Should we introduce this rule into the SPFL?

It would create even more opportunities for home grown players to get exposure to 1st team football at the highest level domestically and although it would artificially increase the domestic transfer market at least that money would stay in the Country and filter it's way down the ladder.

I'm well aware that the standard of youth coaching and player development in Scotland is pish and needs a complete overhaul but this in addition could remove a potential glass ceiling. 

Here's a link to the online game btw:

http://playdosgamesonline.com/championship-manager-italia.html

I have have no problem with a homegrown rule similar or tougher than UEFA's but a maximum foreigner rule only encourages xenophobia.

With brexit & malky mackay you never know what will happen though

As a Celtic fan I would actually welcome a smaller squad size rule.  Allow 21 or 22 players and be required to use youngsters to fill in the gaps.  We have developed a habit of signing too many mediocre players over the last few years and have a bloated squad so this rule would be a better incentive to trim the fat.

Edit:  you could even go one further and make the U21's comply with the UEFA "Home Grown" rules, meaning the player has to spend 3 years at the club between the ages of 15 and 21

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, that's exactly what it would necessarily mean.

Good point.

I can't help it, being facetious is my thing. If I had to make a serious point, it wouldn't change a solitary thing at Hearts - we're equally adept at signing absolute dung both British and foreign, whilst our youth policy stinks that like that Scandinavian fish that they pish on and bury for 4 months.

16 minutes ago, JamieThomas said:

I can't help it, being facetious is my thing. If I had to make a serious point, it wouldn't change a solitary thing at Hearts - we're equally adept at signing absolute dung both British and foreign, whilst our youth policy stinks that like that Scandinavian fish that they pish on and bury for 4 months.

I think you are being too harsh about your team's youth policy to be honest.  Hamilton, Paterson, Walker, and Nicholson are all solid young players who came through your youth system.  It's certainly a better youth policy that some Scottish teams (cough Rangers cough).  

As for Hearts recent signings, you are right, most of the winter 2017 signings have been crap.

7 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The eight diddies rule was a good thing, but it - or something like it - has never been imposed domestically in the British game, as far as I'm aware.

It existed in European competition though and for a time kept a lid on things.

Ironically, Rangers were one of the most vocal in lobbying for the rule's scrapping, despite enjoying their best campaign - 1992/93 - during its heyday.

They saw the fact that they came from a small country as a handicap as their pool of potential players for games in such competitions was relatively little, compared to say, English sides.

What they didn't foresee was that money would explode in the big countries, allowing the big clubs in these places to become world selects.  

It meant that a multinational Rangers was very much further behind a multinational Chelsea or Arsenal, than a mainly Scottish Rangers had been against a largely English Leeds.

I favour this kind of protectionism in football and would welcome it in the domestic game.

Farage

8 hours ago, Booker-T said:

I have have no problem with a homegrown rule similar or tougher than UEFA's but a maximum foreigner rule only encourages xenophobia.

With brexit & malky mackay you never know what will happen though

It's nothing to with xenophobia. The rule wouldn't stop Clubs signing foreign players, only that they could use 3 of them on a match day.

It's nothing to with xenophobia. The rule wouldn't stop Clubs signing foreign players, only that they could use 3 of them on a match day.

Making rules about whether you can field a player or not on the basis of him being 'foreign' is rather xenophobic tbh.

7 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

I think you are being too harsh about your team's youth policy to be honest.  Hamilton, Paterson, Walker, and Nicholson are all solid young players who came through your youth system.  It's certainly a better youth policy that some Scottish teams (cough Rangers cough).  

tumblr_inline_o1mey2vgQt1sbfy0g_400.jpg

11 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Why?

What's progressive about enabling rich teams to have vast squads?

Whats not? Richer clubs have better facilities, more players at better facilities = better players. You then get these better players filtering down the league either on loan or if they want first team football, and they either improve the team or end up earning them money, as they're better players due to a better standard of coaching. We're currently missing about eight players, are you telling me we should be forced to try and cope with something like that as we're only allowed 23/25 players? Or are we expected to throw away our chances of Europe by chucking in 16 year olds?

52 minutes ago, virginton said:

Making rules about whether you can field a player or not on the basis of him being 'foreign' is rather xenophobic tbh.

You're right. The lack of women in the SPFL 1st teams is downright sexist. I won't be happy until Gordon Strachan picks a black, Muslim lesbian for Scotland. 

If anything, the 3 foreigners would be the star players in the team. Hardly promoting xenophobia.

Archived