The Dundee Manager Monorail

On 4/18/2017 at 19:15, Thistle_do_nicely said:

I'm actually, genuinely a bit cautious at bursting out laughing at him being made Dundee manager, because I'm almost certain that I did so when he came out of retirement to play for Dundee (37? 38?)  and he ended up scoring one or two crucial winning/equalising goals (including a late direct free kick?) to help keep them up after the Chisholm farce.

Wouldn't surprise me if they went on a horrific run in the league then somehow stayed up in the playoffs.

Quoting my silliness in full - the first part was spot on, the second part far less so. didn't even need the playoffs!

• Replies 854
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He'd be mad to chuck the sky job in. IMO.

Agreed. If he guides us to safety this season on top of his deefiant stunt I will be happy to watch him walk off into the sunset once more as The Derry Hero that he is. There's no need for him to risk his reputation with us and leave his sky job.

Until we need you again, Neil.

Just now, K.T said:

Agreed. If he guides us to safety this season on top of his deefiant stunt I will be happy to watch him walk off into the sunset once more as The Derry Hero that he is. There's no need for him to risk his reputation with us and leave his sky job.

Until we need you again, Neil.

Spot on.

Even if we win the rest of his games I don't think I'd be comfortable with him being in charge next season, purely because we don't know whether or not this is him being brilliant or simply 'the new manager bounce' and this season's been enough of a scare without doing it all over again. He'd deserve some kind of role though and I'd be happy for him to be assistant and learn off someone with experience.

Whit? Get a bit of perspective chief. You're Dundee, not man united.

And you think he'd even agree to that anyway? Assistant manager to someone else after coming in and saving the day? You'll be lucky if he agrees to stay on. As has been said you're probably paying him less than his day job.

And you think he'd even agree to that anyway? Assistant manager to someone else after coming in and saving the day? You'll be lucky if he agrees to stay on. As has been said you're probably paying him less than his day job.

I agree with most of what you say but I can't imagine he gets a fortune from Sky. Plus most of them have a shelf life on TV. Every year there's a new crop of retiring players wanting your job, some considerably higher profile than NM. Management might be precarious but some last up to their sixties. Maybe he wants to be a manager and thinks he can make a go of it.

I agree with most of what you say but I can't imagine he gets a fortune from Sky. Plus most of them have a shelf life on TV. Every year there's a new crop of retiring players wanting your job, some considerably higher profile than NM. Management might be precarious but some last up to their sixties. Maybe he wants to be a manager and thinks he can make a go of it.

I'm not against him going for it permanently - I actually think he will stay on.

Like you say there's no guarantee with either career. I stand by the comment about you being lucky if he does stay on though. Punditry is less cut throat in terms of contracts being terminated - and he's well and truly got his feet in the door at sky. That experience would mean he's in prime position for one of the other broadcasters if he did get dropped from sky.

I reckon if he saves us from the drop he'll get offered the job and he'll take it. I'm guessing if he went to the bother of getting his UEFA Pro License then he's probably got aspirations of being a manager, although if he'd known there was a cushy job with Sky around the corner maybe he wouldn't have bothered.

I can't see him taking the interim job for a 5 game stint just because he wanted to save us from the drop. He must have ambitions of being his own man and jumped at the chance. The Sky job will probably always be there for him to fall back on so it's got to be worth the gamble for him.

1 hour ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

He'd be mad to chuck the sky job in. IMO.

Was rumours that BT are keen to have all Scottish footy, if that happened he'd prolly only be on Scotland gemmes at sky 

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

Lucky now? Thought he was a joke appointment.....

I reckon if he saves us from the drop he'll get offered the job and he'll take it. I'm guessing if he went to the bother of getting his UEFA Pro License then he's probably got aspirations of being a manager, although if he'd known there was a cushy job with Sky around the corner maybe he wouldn't have bothered.
I can't see him taking the interim job for a 5 game stint just because he wanted to save us from the drop. He must have ambitions of being his own man and jumped at the chance. The Sky job will probably always be there for him to fall back on so it's got to be worth the gamble for him.

Totally agree with all that DM.

We're not out of the woods but the world looks a lot brighter. Even if we end up in the playoffs I feel a lot more confident with McCann in charge.

I think McCann could end up becoming our Guus Hiddink. If we stay up and out of the play offs he should leave and be on-call for whenever we are next up creek without a paddle. Legend - i saw one of his first games against Celtic - and he is the best home grown player in my 40+ years of being a Dee.

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Fair fucks, that's two very impressive wins.

Surely safe now?

While I'd certainly like to think so, a lifetime of supporting Dundee FC has made me very wary of expecting anything.

We could be top six and there'd still be a part of me asking "But are we really safe?".

Archived