June 8th General Election

Mudder

Theresa May's position is utterly untenable, she has to go.
Quite surprised that the UKIP voters appear to have went to Labour.
In addition to the seats that they lost, SNP held onto a number of others with vastly reduced majorities. I think that's reflective of the complacency that they've shown and the blatant disregard for 51% of the population who don't want independence. Barring a significant change of tact, I think the SNP bubble has burst.
Clegg losing his seat was the gradual karmic reward for being a treacherous sell-out.

Could equally say that slab blatant disregard for those who do want Indy has cost Corbyn the pm job.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lex said:

It's a disaster for May. She called this, she had a terrible campaign and she lost her majority as a result. Her position is now untenable and she has to resign, and I suspect she will this afternoon.

However a real disaster for the Conservative Parry would have been Labour being the largest party or *shudder* a Labour majority. Neither of them came close to happening.

The biggest losers in the UK last night were the SNP.

This, apart from the last line. The biggest losers are still the Conservatives on a National basis. They've thrown away a majority and have no real likelihood of forming any sort of tenable Govt. Another election within 12 months is inevitable and within 3 or 4 months is likely. An election they'll likely now be second favourites for unless Corbyn shoots himself in the foot again before then.

For me it's nearly a terrific night. I wanted a hung parliament where the Lib Dems held the balance of power and the SNP got put back in the box a bit and that's more or less what we got, albeit there's no chance of the Lib Dems propping anyone up.

May has been arrogant since she snaked her way into power and I hate the way the Tories have gone about Brexit. There was no real need to call an election but she wanted a greedy bigger majority and longer term while Corbyn was perceived unelectable and boy did it backfire. Good. Maybe we'll get a softer Brexit (or ideally none at all) as a result.

The SNP got exactly what their "once in a generation, oh no, wait we'll keep holding referendums till we get the result we want" approach deserved. They are still the biggest party in Scotland but they lost massive ground in seats and if Labour are genuinely credible again then there is a real threat to their long term power. Which as a unionist (with a small "u") is great news for me.

I think Ruth Davidson is a very good leader and I am pleased the Scottish Conservatives made good ground. I couldn't bring myself to vote for them though even though I usually do because I can't support their Brexit approach.

The only slight downside for me is the prospect of Corbyn actually doing so well he might get himself elected eventually. He'd be a terrible prime minister and a Corbyn led government would be a disaster. If was running a Beetle Drive he'd manage to raise £35 for charity whilst spending £400 to get it! And Dianne Abbott would be running around telling everyone it cost £4.60. Corbyn's fine sitting as the opposition and giving parliament a social conscience. God help us if he actually gets any power.

8 minutes ago, Angusfifer said:

Your farming pals just elected a Tory. Hang your head in shame...

No hanging head in shame here its called exercising your Democratic right as you can do, I simply do not believe in Scotland being independent. Personally do not trust any of them what ever colour they wear all self serving pigs with their noses in the trough, all promise the earth and deliver nothing been the way ever since I can remember.

3 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

their "once in a generation, oh no, wait we'll keep holding referendums till we get the result we want" approach

Did you think that after 2014 the 45% of the country that voted yes would just forget about it or something?

1 minute ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Did you think that after 2014 the 45% of the country that voted yes would just forget about it or something?

Not just that, and can't believe this needs stressed again, that line was given as an opinion. That point was actually made before said opinion was given! This part gets ignored and gets talked about as if it's policy though.

1 minute ago, Randy Giles said:

Not just that, and can't believe this needs stressed again, that line was given as an opinion. That point was actually made before said opinion was given! This part gets ignored and gets talked about as if it's policy though.

Correct. Always amused that people think they ticked a box that read "No, forever and ever and ever and ever"

What has really struck me over the past couple of months during the campaigning etc is the now apparent disconnect between voters & Nicola Sturgeon.

I think in part, the SNP's results in 2015 correlates with Nicola Sturgeon being at the peak of her powers in terms of popularity. Now, the SNP in my opinion need to take a change in direction; Alex Salmond & Nicola Sturgeon have been the faces of the party for the past fifteen years -  it is now clear the electorate are not buying into them anymore.

If Nicola Sturgeon was to place party before herself, she would do the sensible thing & resign immediately. I can see the SNP losing their position as the number one at Holyrood, if Sturgeon is still the leader come the next Scottish Parliament elections. Who the SNP should look towards for a replacement to Sturgeon should be someone bold & exciting - Mhairi Black( might be one leadership contest too early for her) & Humza Yousaf immediately stand out to me.

What is clear regardless of Nicola Sturgeon's position, is that we can expect an imminent deputy leadership contest due to Angus Robertson losing his Moray seat. I would expect Tommy Sheppard to have another go at running for the deputy leader position, also Joanna Cherry & I also presume that  a high profile MEP or MSP would stand for the position also.

It's been an odd night for me. As a massive Corbyn supporter I am delighted that he has , despite clearly not "winning", done unbelievably well.

It is two fingers up to the establishment. Labour did far far better than expected despite the despicable actions of the PLP (172 of the c***s) and media. Imagine if they had got behind them. Was expecting to be in bed at 1001 utterly depressed.

However the good feeling is tempered somewhat by SNP losses in Scotland and the unbelievable realisation that there are so many Tories up there. Ironically it has likely given them enough seats to form some sort of "colation of chaos" (irony meter off the scale).

May though[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

6 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

This, apart from the last line. The biggest losers are still the Conservatives on a National basis. They've thrown away a majority and have no real likelihood of forming any sort of tenable Govt. Another election within 12 months is inevitable and within 3 or 4 months is likely. An election they'll likely now be second favourites for unless Corbyn shoots himself in the foot again before then.

For me it's nearly a terrific night. I wanted a hung parliament where the Lib Dems held the balance of power and the SNP got put back in the box a bit and that's more or less what we got, albeit there's no chance of the Lib Dems propping anyone up.

May has been arrogant since she snaked her way into power and I hate the way the Tories have gone about Brexit. There was no real need to call an election but she wanted a greedy bigger majority and longer term while Corbyn was perceived unelectable and boy did it backfire. Good. Maybe we'll get a softer Brexit (or ideally none at all) as a result.

The SNP got exactly what their "once in a generation, oh no, wait we'll keep holding referendums till we get the result we want" approach deserved. They are still the biggest party in Scotland but they lost massive ground in seats and if Labour are genuinely credible again then there is a real threat to their long term power. Which as a unionist (with a small "u") is great news for me.

I think Ruth Davidson is a very good leader and I am pleased the Scottish Conservatives made good ground. I couldn't bring myself to vote for them though even though I usually do because I can't support their Brexit approach.

The only slight downside for me is the prospect of Corbyn actually doing so well he might get himself elected eventually. He'd be a terrible prime minister and a Corbyn led government would be a disaster. If was running a Beetle Drive he'd manage to raise £35 for charity whilst spending £400 to get it! And Dianne Abbott would be running around telling everyone it cost £4.60. Corbyn's fine sitting as the opposition and giving parliament a social conscience. God help us if he actually gets any power.

Well I see what you're saying, but the last line isn't an opinion.  The Tories lost 12 seats, the other parties lost 2.  Lib and Lab made gains. 

The SNP lost 21 seats, that's more losses than every other party in the UK combined.  Ergo the fact is that the SNP are the biggest losers in this election.

It's a personal defeat for May more than for the Tory party and her time as prime minister is up.  Would like to see Rudd and Johnson face off in a leadership challenge, and then the winner call an election for September.

Just now, Skyline Drifter said:

Well there's Salmond and Sturgeon for a start. Where does that get your count?

Well no. Salmond said that, in his opinion, it was a once in a lifetime oppertunity. It was at no point put into a manifesto or made policy. It was an opinion. If you're struggling with that, I can repeat it again.

1 hour ago, Crossbill said:

Well done to the Labour voters in Aberdeen South, Aberdeenshire West and Kincardine, Angus, Ayr Carrick and Cumnock, Banff and Buchan, Berwickshire, Roxburgh and Selkirk, Dumfries and Galloway, Dumfriesshire, Clydesdale and Tweeddale, Gordon, Moray, Ochil and South Perthshire, Renfrewshire East and Stirling who decided to vote tactically for the Conservatives.

You've got just what you voted for - A conservative government.  I'm sure Ruth Davidson will be along any minute to give you the pat on the head you so richly deserve.

scum.jpg

Cloven, lumbering beast would break that poor bull's back.

51 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I think this election has shown us several things in Scotland.  I don't know what they are, but they are things and there's probably several of them.

I think that qualifies you as a political correspondent.

1 minute ago, Lex said:

Would like to see Rudd and Johnson face off in a leadership challenge, and then the winner call an election for September.

You would like - LIKE - to see that? You are a fucking screwball, no doubt about it..

Just now, Randy Giles said:

Well no. Salmond said that, in his opinion, it was a once in a lifetime oppertunity. It was at no point put into a manifesto or made policy. It was an opinion. If you're struggling with that, I can repeat it again.

You can repeat it as often as you like, they certainly did. Pretending that it doesn't count as a real pledge because they just said it instead of writing it down is embarrassing really.

What has really struck me over the past couple of months during the campaigning etc is the now apparent disconnect between voters & Nicola Sturgeon.

I think in part, the SNP's results in 2015 correlates with Nicola Sturgeon being at the peak of her powers in terms of popularity. Now, the SNP in my opinion need to take a change in direction; Alex Salmond & Nicola Sturgeon have been the faces of the party for the past fifteen years -  it is now clear the electorate are not buying into them anymore.

If Nicola Sturgeon was to place party before herself, she would do the sensible thing & resign immediately. I can see the SNP losing their position as the number one at Holyrood, if Sturgeon is still the leader come the next Scottish Parliament elections. Who the SNP should look towards for a replacement to Sturgeon should be someone bold & exciting - Mhairi Black( might be one leadership contest too early for her) & Humza Yousaf immediately stand out to me.

What is clear regardless of Nicola Sturgeon's position, is that we can expect an imminent deputy leadership contest due to Angus Robertson losing his Moray seat. I would expect Tommy Sheppard to have another go at running for the deputy leader position, also Joanna Cherry & I also presume that  a high profile MEP or MSP would stand for the position also.

It's the snps 2nd best ge performance. There's absolutely no question of sturgeon resigning after gaining more seats than the other parties in Scotland combined. Yes it's a bad result in the context of 2015 but that was a totally unprecedented electoral event. No other Scottish leader would consider resigning with 35 seats in the bag.

Archived