June 8th General Election

Mudder

I might have missed it - apologies if so - but does anyone have a definition of "public consent". Am I imagining the 2015 General Election result or the 2016 Scottish Parliament results which returned an overwhelming majority of SNP MPs in the first and an independence majority in a system designed to make a majority difficult to achieve?  And that the latter built on a 2011 majority. How much public consent is needed to hold a referendum and why is more public consent needed than Cameron ever got before slinging this country down the shunky.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I might have missed it - apologies if so - but does anyone have a definition of "public consent". Am I imagining the 2015 General Election result or the 2016 Scottish Parliament results which returned an overwhelming majority of SNP MPs in the first and an independence majority in a system designed to make a majority difficult to achieve?  And that the latter built on a 2011 majority. How much public consent is needed to hold a referendum and why is more public consent needed than Cameron ever got before slinging this country down the shunky.

Because they're worried they would lose a second vote.

Think about it, 28% of Scotland was a yes vote in 2011, that increased to 45%, why would it drop when there has been no improvement.

May is relying solely on sound bites and spin doctors, she's not a good politician, she's taking us through the brexit process when it's clear she doesn't believe in it.

She's going to drag down the UK.

On 18/05/2017 at 14:11, Antlion said:

I'm afraid it is - in your desperation to complain about the SNP (albeit we all know it's your schtick), you are drawing a comparison that makes no sense. I have no problem with the regionalists voting against the holding of a referendum, any more than I have with the SNP voting against the triggering of Article 50. In both cases, the two groups were participating fully in the democratic progress. What you seem unable (more, I think, unwilling) to recognise is what has taken place after each vote. The regionalists have campaigned in two separate elections to ignore the outcome of a vote they lost in Holyrood. The SNP have not campaigned to prevent the UK leaving the EU. I'm not sure why you're pretending to be unable to understand this, unless it's part of your accustomed, petulant desire to be contrary, no matter how pointlessly. In this case, however, it's just making you look thick.

Incidentally, Holyrood is certainly competent to vote on whether or not it seeks authorisation for a referendum. Even the UK acknowledged this by authorising one years ago. The regionalists themselves acknowledged it by participating in the debate and then voting against the Scottish government seeking authorisation.

I absolutely expect MSPs to sit in Holyrood. I also expect them to accept when they lose a Holyrood vote, and not afterwards campaign in council and Westminster elections under the banner of ensuring that vote be ignored. Simply put, why do regionalists participate in Holyrood votes and debates and then, when they lose, campaign elsewhere for the institution's mandate (the winning vote) to be thwarted?

Was there not a vote in Parliament on leaving the EU where the SNP voted against it and are now actively campaigning (along with the Lib Dems) to ignore that institution's mandate?  Do you just put your yellow blinkers on and say this is different - this is the SNP looking out for Scotland's interests?  The Unionists would surely use the same argument on their opposition to the IndyRef.

Quite clearly the only difference is that you approve of one and not of the other.

From the Collins dictionary the definition of trolling:
"to post deliberately inflammatory messages to an internet discussion"
So show me some examples of where I have done that.
Telling someone to "f**k off" is certainly inflammatory.
Calling someone "a piece of subhuman shit" definitely falls into that category.
Posting a differing opinion does not.
Not posting facts and figures obviously does not either. What a strange suggestion. :lol:
It seems none of you know what trolling is.

Hands up, you've got me!
Despite the fact I said you had a point in my Op, you see me as inflammatory? Let's not beat about the bush here Mr Oaksoft, or is it Dr Oaksoft PhD?
I'm calling you out as being a troll, the dictionary definition aside, you contribute nothing to this site, when you start, I'll happily engage. Till that point - f**k up.

7 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Taylor report forcing stadiums to be all seated? Saved lives and as an Aberdeen fan, I can only wholly support both it's vision and any unintended/beneficial consequences it may have had.

Perhaps I'm picking this up wrong, but the above is surely not serious?

1 minute ago, kilbowie2002 said:

Keep in mind people in Wales voted brexit despite being net benefactors in the process. Also keep in mind that people in Wales voted brexit because the council shut a public toilet.

Also keep in mind the irony of Blair's No. 1 fanboy saying "we" are going to lose Wales to the Tories. 

Responses in our area (West Wolds, East Riding of Yorkshire constituency) has been pretty positive, and I'm expecting Silent Knight to lose a few more votes when the realisation of the Death Tax sinks in*. Probably not enough to get rid of him, but hopefully indicative of some kind of shift. 

*Work today, Dad's Taxi Service tonight, so not really been able to gauge reactions too well yet - but it's not playing at all well on the Media or online, is it?:whistle

Also keep in mind the irony of Blair's No. 1 fanboy saying "we" are going to lose Wales to the Tories. 
Responses in our area (West Wolds, East Riding of Yorkshire constituency) has been pretty positive, and I'm expecting Silent Knight to lose a few more votes when the realisation of the Death Tax sinks in*. Probably not enough to get rid of him, but hopefully indicative of some kind of shift. 

*Work today, Dad's Taxi Service tonight, so not really been able to gauge reactions too well yet - but it's not playing at all well on the Media or online, is it?:whistle

How is being a supporter of Labour's most successful ever leader irony?

I'm trying here but Corbyn is a hard sell.

How is being a supporter of Labour's most successful ever leader irony?

I'm trying here but Corbyn is a hard sell.

You could always try selling the policies - seeing as not many Welsh people can vote for Corbyn...

You could always try selling the policies - seeing as not many Welsh people can vote for Corbyn...

You know as well as I that you talk about 'Labour' and the response is always about the leader. Even those voting Labour feel the need to add the 'despite the leader' caveat. This is going to be an absolute fucking disaster.

You know as well as I that you talk about 'Labour' and the response is always about the leader. Even those voting Labour feel the need to add the 'despite the leader' caveat. This is going to be an absolute fucking disaster.

So don't talk about any party. Ask the voter what's important to them, and explain the differing policies. Treat them like grown ups, not like children - even if they do treat this like the fucking x factor.

Ok, as much as it goes against my instinct, I'll engage with you on this one.

You are "trolling" not because you have a differing opinion to the majority Indy camp on here, as I've already said on this sub-forum, people like[mention=40809]Strichener[/mention] have at least a counter argument, provide facts & figures to defend (if not justify, in my mind) their position. You, on the other hand, dip in, then dip out again when asked for back up to your point- however valid it may seem to you, when you shite it from honest debate- you are trolling the forum.
Be more like[mention=40809]strichener[/mention] - I'm not aware of him getting abuse, and, certainly not from me.
Otherwise, f**k off you tedious troll.

He's a poor man's poor man's Strichener.

If the Tories get voted in. It will be like turkeys voting for more Christmases.

The scum have tripled the national debt in their tenure. Yet no mention of this at all. Strong and stable, my arse.

Austerity is an absolute disgrace. It's like being kicked in the balls and voting them back in, is saying "can you kick them again please"

Have we reached the point where the majority of the country are sado-masochist morons?

If the Tories get voted in. It will be like turkeys voting for more Christmases.

The scum have tripled the national debt in their tenure. Yet no mention of this at all. Strong and stable, my arse.

Austerity is an absolute disgrace. It's like being kicked in the balls and voting them back in, is saying "can you kick them again please"

Have we reached the point where the majority of the country is sado-masochist morons?

They have the MSM in their pocket... that's the disgrace.

1 minute ago, John Lambies Doos said:

They have the MSM in their pocket... that's the disgrace.

Indeed.

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/uk_591e49b1e4b03b485cb03123

Still, incredibly IMO, the media's influence is massively under estimated by most.  It is the single biggest obstacle to fairly contested elections.  On purpose, of course.

2 hours ago, jmothecat said:

Spent the evening canvassing for the Labour Party in South Wales and the response was awful. We are going to lose Wales to the fucking Tories I think. :(

Not a shock, Labour are an absolute disaster right across the UK.

3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Obviously she's been reading MuckSpreader and I'm a Radgie's shite on here, wish Div showed the same concern for our mental well-being.

Archived