New clubs in the East of Scotland

On 06/02/2023 at 03:22, Robert James said:

Looking at the Border League, Eyemouth United Amateurs and Duns Amateurs seem to be on the rise. Selkirk Victoria are struggling, and it is a very long time since Chirnside had an SFA member club.

It is a shame that there aren't more border clubs in the EoSL. Some good grounds, in pleasant surroundings, and some good pubs,

Duns and Eyemouth are essentially the same teams that played in the EoS not that long ago. Duns last playing in the EoSL in May 2016, Eyemouth in December 2020.

On 16/02/2023 at 22:51, Spyro said:

That's why it should be North and South after Div 1, so you have the 3-2-1 steps as you improve through the steps.

It always seems to create strong feelings though, don't know if it's just too much like the old junior way... but it works. 

The split will be around Edinburgh now rather than splitting up Fife with the Tayside club going up norff but I can't see why it wouldn't work for everyone. The levels of these teams are close enough so there won't be cricket scores and if you don't like being in a regional league then don't be pish and get into Div 1.

Only 5 of the 27 clubs in Div.2 and 3 would be in the North Division (the 4 Fife clubs and Uni of Stirling Reserves).  The Lothian and Border teams (22) would make up the South Division. 

Putting all the West Lothian clubs (10) into the North Division would give 2 divisions of 15 and 12 teams, which is a bit better balanced.

I seem to remember in the WoSFL, the clubs actually voted for merging Central/Ayrshire all the way down and having no regionalisation.  Distances not too much there though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Technically count as a Borders club given West Linton is in Peeblesshire. That should round off the numbers in the third division to 12 next season. Too bad the Pentland hills are in the way or it would be a lot quicker for them to get to all the games they will be playing in West Lothian and vice versa for the West Lothian clubs.

16-16-14-14 would make more sense than 16-16-16-12 moving forward if there were no more applications in future but I suspect there will continue to be a slow trickle of new entrants. Still plenty of largish towns in the EoS catchment with no senior club and several recent Borders EoS clubs like Selkirk, Kelso, Duns and Eyemouth may be tempted to make a return to the bottom division when/if clubs like Hawick RA, Tweedmouth, Peebles Rovers and Vale of Leithen start plying their trade there.

8 minutes ago, Jordi1977 said:

How does an amateur side manage to get themselves such a good set up?

Definitely from infrastructure perspective they look to be a worthy addition to the league.

There are a few Borders clubs with decent set ups. Greenlaw is definitely one, Chirnside and Earlston are not bad, Tweeddale's Park at the top of The Gytes is probably better than what Peebles Rovers have to deal with down on the main pitch. I know one other looking to switch soon but still too early to say. 

Delighted for Linton if they are accepted though, just hope they can put a decent team out with Penicuik, Peebs and VoL on their doorstep

Just sounds better all the time!!

Good luck to them in their bid. 

I'm sure between the village itself, Peebles, Penicuik and Edinburgh they can pick up a decent enough squad to at least be competitive in Tier 9 and then see were they can push onto.

33 minutes ago, Jordi1977 said:

Just sounds better all the time!!

Good luck to them in their bid. 

I'm sure between the village itself, Peebles, Penicuik and Edinburgh they can pick up a decent enough squad to at least be competitive in Tier 9 and then see were they can push onto.

Excellent set up really hard working community committee 

Its an outstanding venue.

Very much a "football ground".

Decent committee.  Great clubhouse.  nice pies, nice beer.

Really, really struggle to get players to go there.  Thus they bumble along at the bottom of the 3rd division in Leafa Amateurs.

I wish them well and hope the EOS can help them attract players.

Cant see any reason for EOS to decline their membership.  Rubber stamp job.