CLYDE FC Season 2017-18 Thread

2 hours ago, Elementary Penguin said:

Let's. I've still no idea of your own opinion on any of this, you seem to have a problem with most of what i've said....and that's entirely up to you. The definition of an argument, as it were, requires conflicting views being discussed. I don't see anything from you  in this, except a fair and open attempt to deflect from the real issues by crucifying me. That doesn't bother me at all, but the blatant negligence of the fact that hundreds have indeed fucked off does greatly. Especially when it is used as part of the lies and deceptions for our state of affairs. 

I'll cut to the chase, which leads me to believe why the figure of 500 can easily be attributed to Chairman Then's Reign of Error. 

Less than 100 voted against the namechange, as opposed to almost everyone else in favour. Very few abstentions or spoiled papers. Undoubtedly his biggest endorsement in office. A clear and resounding backing. Of that 100-, a handful chucked it because of the result. Others, on a point of principle over the proposed move. Others, many many more, did so because the club had decided Cumbernauld was the root of all evil, a barren land within which we'll remain doomed. The poor far on the pitch didn't help, but it was noticable how many voted with their wallets in simply not bothering to go, whilst the club bounced around in limbo in between the vote, subsequent car-crash of its fallout, and two years later flocking to Shettleston for free steak pies and pints. The attendance at Hampden, almost 1200 i believe we took, remains a sign that Clyde have a significant pull among its lapsed support when success and/or a vision is presented to them. I could really stick the knife in, and call the 700 others that day a bunch of glory-hunting carpet-baggers, but then i'd be stealing directors' patter from them. And i can't be doing that now, can i? 

So you believe the name change is the root of the lapsed 500? Interesting.

By dealing in facts another opinion could be formed.

In our last season in what is now the Championship, with Bomber Browns marvellous team, we had an average attendance of 1150. The away stand was open for the likes of Thistle, Dunfermline and Morton. We got relegated.

Our first season In the third division under Millar our average was 622. That was season 2010/2011

The following season which was Duffy's first in charge, the figure had dropped to 542 excluding the 2 games with Rangers. Confirming that would be season 2011/2012

Season 2012/2013 Would see our average attendance drop to an average of 466 before the name change was proposed.

Last season, which was 2016/2017 our average attendance was 526, a drop of 14% from the previous season and understandably so given the season had.

Absolutely no disagreement that we have a fairly large "lapsed" element, although the 1200 at Hampden example is a poor one, given the reduced entry fee that day and time of year, but the facts are there that the average attendance last season is more than before the name change was announced.

Would be a far more interesting debate if above was agreed as a less than contributory factor. On field performance, CVA's, Broadwood, and Managerial appointments are far more worthy of discussion and even more so criticism. 

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Elementary Penguin said:

Oh my shit!!! 

We played Rangers in 2012/13.

The name change was propsed late in 2012!!!

Against QP?? Reduced entry fee and time of year?? I'm talking about the playoff final, you dummy!!!

Didn't read after that. You bore me. 

Edited: I read the rest. Fucking crap. Stick to darts, Dale. 

Yes we did play Rangers in 2012/2013.

Yes the name change was proposed late 2012, doesn't change the facts, which you choose to ignore. You have also chosen to ignore the request to have a debate based on facts about the real decline in attendance figures. You can also continue to make personal insults, and subscribe to conspiracy theories all you want.

Fact is, many have attempted to arrest the alarming decline through various failed ventures, some in hindsight very polarising - but at least they tried rather than sitting back and attacking behind a keyboard under numerous aliases.

1 minute ago, Elementary Penguin said:

You seem to think its alright to change facts as you go, why shan't i? You did it twice at least!! 

How do you know the extent of my, or other fans' attempts at trying to help the club? You seem to think there's some degree of entitlement in simply agreeing with what you're told, in fact you've gotten so much wrong, i doubt you're even a Clyde supporter at all. Which probably makes you a lot more welcome within the club than i. 

The average attendance figure in the season 2012/2013 up until the name change excluding Rangers games was 466. Not a deviation of facts in that respect, I just got the season wrong. You were the one in fact who was less than clear in what game you were referring to in regards to Hampden. But I apologised for picking you up incorrectly.

Again, without resorting to getting personal which you continuously do when someone has the temerity to disagree with you or prove you wrong, you can doubt away about my support. I'm Agent Dale Cooper and I deal with the facts.

3 minutes ago, Elementary Penguin said:

Is that all they are, then? Just 'guys' who'll turn up for the big games? I despair, i really do. 

You really do?

you really need to lighten up and enjoy your retirement from being one of those guys 

A goalkeeper to dive for a ball

Suppose that is a bit much it is only 4 competitive games into the season
Will come back at Christmas

It's not only a failure to dive for the ball that has me concerned over Currie. He tends to spill the ball rather a lot too. He is quite quick to react to this but would much prefer him to hold the thing in the first place!

Of course guys will turn up for play off finals, especially against Queen's Park, but if figures above are correct then the decline has been aligned to our league standings mainly.

No think you will find it's aligned with appalling senior management at the club and an unhealthy obsession with failed relocations

10 hours ago, Elementary Penguin said:

If the personal touch upsets you, perhaps it might be a thought to consider why such antagonism and bitterness existed in the first place.

You mentioned about those who 'tried ventures', instead of typing away.....literally dozens of fans i know have attempted ventures with the aim of helping the club, to be met with suspicion and largely treated like shit. On the outside, people with nothing to do with the club have done likewise and are far more scathing of their dealings than i could ever wish to be. Any talk of this or questioning any movement is resultant in accusations and spreading of malicious lies, and will i f**k take that. No apologies whatsoever. 

Possibly the route of the problem is that the ventures attempted by external interests and dozens of fans and apparent subsequent rejection are not  common knowledge. If all this information was available then perhaps a balanced and reasoned opinion could be formed. Is one of your complaints and vents not about the secretive and cliquish nature of those on board and in the know?

1 hour ago, Elementary Penguin said:

Not entirely, as it happens. A bit of gumption and being able to hold one's water with important details is one thing (and one we do very badly), but these nuggets of info often find themselves readily thrown into argumemts to support the agenda of those mainly in the know, rather than the board themselves. 

What we do have as 'common knowledge' are generally all we're ever told about. I don't expect that to be able to change within the current manpower on board, and so its unlikely we'll ever hear anything unless its extremely favourable, and done against a backdrop of where Mr Bogeyman simply cannot, or will likley choose not, to reply  

Am i to guess that you agree there is a secretive and cliquish directive deliberately withholding information then, other than to serve the greater good of their own position? 

Answering your last point first - unsurprisingly I would not agree there is such a directive, but it may be that cliquish and secretive I'm not aware of it.

The rest of your post - I thank you for keeping the tone civil - but to be honest i'm not clear as to its pertinence to my previous post. Whether its the board, dozens of fans or external investors that you have referred to, I was seeking examples where what you have implied has happened.

18 minutes ago, Elementary Penguin said:

Are you being serious here? 

I'm certainly not in the business of talking for other people, whichever way my Voice of 500 was interpreted. We're a small support, getting smaller every year. Most of us talk, amongst ourselves about latest developments with a very keen interest. So keen, in fact, that polarising opinions can be found on just about every figure who's walked through the red door. Are you really looking to out me as a snitch, or worse, an unreliable witness, by giving you information you already know, just so you can be sure which of the countless Baddie sides i'm on? 

3/10 Dale. 

You know what, and this will no doubt please many, I'll leave it.

Numerous posts, with numerous chances to back up your stance - none taken, just deflection, personal insults and word salad.

Thank God, the views of you and very few others on here are not representative of true Clyde Supporters.

Ba Bye!

Sorry to butt in - but I'd like to comment on the games so far.

We've beaten Airdrie, Annan and Dumbarton - all of whom finished higher than us last season. And we finished the section above 2 of the other 4 teams.

We lost to the bookies favourites for Divsion 1, lost heavily to my favourites for Division 1, and gave a good account of ourselves against a Premiership team.

The manager has given game time to most of the squad.

The team looks a lot more organised (would that be difficult) than last season.

We've scored in every game so far (and lost goals too - before anybody points that out).

We've already lost players to injury, suspension and suffered horrendous refereeing decisions (anybody who was at Rugby Park knows that's true).

Every player looks as if he wants to play for the jersey, and win.

I think we'll be watching a team that will compete in every game, and will be much better to watch. The manager will see to that.

Hopefully my comments aren't too positive for some.

The one negative I have - is the Keeper. He hasn't impressed so far, but on the basis he was named in the League 2 team of the year He must be capable of more than I've seen from him so far.

Looking forward to the new season, particularly winning some money backing 3-2, 4-2 wins ;).

Archived