Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

Finn was included in the 20s squad towards the end of last season for a couple of matches. Don't recall him playing, it was just to get him experience with the squad. Highly regarded by the coaches.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, RedEd said:

But we have more than 15 signed players, don't we? If you took a look at the players allocated squad numbers you would see that we currently have 22 listed. Just because 7 were Academy players last season doesn't mean they don't count. 

On another, and more positive note, congratulations to Finn Ecrepont on being called up to the Scotland u16 squad.

We have 15 senior players, the 7 academy boys haven't played a single minute of competitive football to the best of my knowledge. I'd imagine they'd be only be used in the event of injuries. 

McCall said at the start of pre-season that he wanted 18 signed players at the moment he is 3 short of that so either 1) he can't manage a budget or 2) Cameron/the board haven't backed him the way he expected. 

33 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

We have 15 senior players, the 7 academy boys haven't played a single minute of competitive football to the best of my knowledge. I'd imagine they'd be only be used in the event of injuries. 

McCall said at the start of pre-season that he wanted 18 signed players at the moment he is 3 short of that so either 1) he can't manage a budget or 2) Cameron/the board haven't backed him the way he expected. 

I would imagine Quinn and Cairney will sign which would leave us 1 player short (defender)

32 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Senior players is not the same as signed players. As for the Academy graduates, they may not have played senior football, but they all have experience of junior football. Which, although not of the same quality, is often very competitive. Incidentally, a few of them are ages with Craig McGuffie. The other 3 players may come yet. Have a look at other clubs in the division. Most of them don't have anywhere a full squad yet. We almost do.

50 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Finn was included in the 20s squad towards the end of last season for a couple of matches. Don't recall him playing, it was just to get him experience with the squad. Highly regarded by the coaches.

I think you're right, he was an unused sub a few times. Still a good achievement for a lad who was an u15 last season, though he played for the u17s for a good part of it.

I would imagine Quinn and Cairney will sign which would leave us 1 player short (defender)

Assuming trialists can't play on Friday, if Cairney doesn't sign before then I don't imagine he will. Would be odd to wait until after the competitive stuff starts to offer him a deal.

Particularly as he would be part of my starting midfield.

Assuming trialists can't play on Friday, if Cairney doesn't sign before then I don't imagine he will. Would be odd to wait until after the competitive stuff starts to offer him a deal.

Particularly as he would be part of my starting midfield.

Cairney will sign on Thursday and someone will sign on Friday a few hours before the Killie game.

My crystal ball has spoken...

Seems to be a regular theme now, going in to the season with an over-packed, injury prone midfield, light on centre halfs and no wide players. This year we have also only one goalkeeper who is untried at this level and are already being told that there is no cash left. Again we will be relying heavily on players not to get injured or suspended and we still haven't signed a former big name wage thief yet.

On the plus side, not much would get past a midfield with Geggan, Doc and Adams in it, Moffat and Moore look a decent pairing and there is a fair amount of youth about the team.

Seems to be a regular theme now, going in to the season with an over-packed, injury prone midfield, light on centre halfs and no wide players. This year we have also only one goalkeeper who is untried at this level and are already being told that there is no cash left. Again we will be relying heavily on players not to get injured or suspended and we still haven't signed a former big name wage thief yet.
On the plus side, not much would get past a midfield with Geggan, Doc and Adams in it, Moffat and Moore look a decent pairing and there is a fair amount of youth about the team.

No wide players apart from McGuffie and McDade. Not forgetting Forrest who appears to have played there during pre season.

It's strange that we have blown our budget but yet Cairney and Quinn are still about.  

But if we sonehow do have budget for one player spending it on a 5th central midfielder or a backup goalkeeper probably isn't the greatest idea in the world.  

We need a starter or backup centre back, overly light in there.  

the 7 academy boys haven't played a single minute of competitive football to the best of my knowledge.

Are you not aware that Crawford, Forrest and McGuffie had not played a single minute of competitive football before they made their debut. McCall has stated that he is hooeful of at least one of the Academy graduates making their mark this season in the same way that McGuffie pushed is way into contention last season.

I think we will also see a couple of loan arrivals in the next month or so.

the 7 academy boys haven't played a single minute of competitive football to the best of my knowledge.

Are you not aware that Crawford, Forrest and McGuffie had not played a single minute of competitive football before they made their debut. McCall has stated that he is hooeful of at least one of the Academy graduates making their mark this season in the same way that McGuffie pushed is way into contention last season.

I think we will also see a couple of loan arrivals in the next month or so.

The loan moves will be more likely after the league cup as some Premiership teams will use it to play a couple of youngsters and then decide what ones they want to loan out.

The only trouble will loan signings is that their parent club will want them played regularly. Unless it's a RB/CB coming in on loan then I can't see them walking straight into that team.

10 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

There is absolutely no point in a cash strapped club like Ayr giving these seven youngsters full time football unless at least a couple of them can contribute across the season. The standard of this league is way below the one we played in last season and we should also be expecting some of our other younger players like Forrest, McDaid and McGuffie to make names for themselves. One or two further signings plus a couple of loan players and we will be in decent shape. Some very short memories considering where we have been at this point in time over the last few seasons.

At some point in the next couple of days, if  Rangers were to be stripped of the trophies, specifically the league cup 2002 and were awarded to the cheated finalists, specifically Ayr
Would the Kilmarnock fans manage to pen a new song in time or would there be silence from that end of the ground?

Even if it did happen which it won't...

They would have to take into account the team's oldco beat on their way to the final, no chance Ayr would be awarded it.

51 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

I just hope we don't land up with that bomb scare McKenna again

Considering at times he wasn't even amongst our subs last season I'd say thats highly unikely.

There is absolutely no point in a cash strapped club like Ayr giving these seven youngsters full time football unless at least a couple of them can contribute across the season. The standard of this league is way below the one we played in last season and we should also be expecting some of our other younger players like Forrest, McDaid and McGuffie to make names for themselves. One or two further signings plus a couple of loan players and we will be in decent shape. Some very short memories considering where we have been at this point in time over the last few seasons.

This. If we can't produce youngsters capable of cutting it in this league there's something amiss with the academy.

1 hour ago, AyrExile said:

Ageed, another 3 or 4 players and we'll be good to go but with no budget left that looks highly unlikely.

I would accept another two signings.

Considering Moore is one of our strikers we are probably very short up front. And the defence is a disaster waiting to happen given how light it is - is there a back up for Boyle this year? Can't think of anyone that could even cover there but don't know much about the young guys.

Archived