Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I would accept another two signings.

Considering Moore is one of our strikers we are probably very short up front. And the defence is a disaster waiting to happen given how light it is - is there a back up for Boyle this year? Can't think of anyone that could even cover there but don't know much about the young guys.

I think Grant Thorburn plays there.  

Ticket sales stand at 2575, embarrassing, if we can't get supporters out for a derby then we've had it.

Can't understand why they are so poor? Nothing beats a derby. Thought every football loving fan that lives in Ayr would want to attend this game. Hoping for a last minute rush.

2 minutes ago, ftk said:

Can't understand why they are so poor? Nothing beats a derby. Thought every football loving fan that lives in Ayr would want to attend this game. Hoping for a last minute rush.

Can't work it out either and i fear at least 100 of that amount will be killie fans trying their luck.

It's been evident for a long time that the fan base at Ayr has been steadily eroded, but it is still shocking to see us only sell 2500 tickets for an Ayrshire Derby.  If nothing else, this torpedoes the summer football argument once and for all.

I don't really blame the club.  What do you do?  Scottish football has been rigged for years against clubs like Ayr and it's evident that provincial clubs have been losing fans generally.  That said, being out of the premier league for forty years is a problem specific to Ayr.  The real fault line at Ayr for me is the Bill Barr era.  Fortunes ploughed into the club with no real delivery or legacy.  For all Barr's generosity and ambition, it was criminal to stick with Dalziel season after season when he patently wasn't up to the job.  We can only speculate what a better manager would have done with al, that money.  That said, the stalemate with the stadium during those years would have stopped us going up anyway, even if Dalziel had managed to get his act together.  

Can't work it out either and i fear at least 100 of that amount will be killie fans trying their luck.

People on here have said it before but you need to promote the game. Not just this game but all games and season tickets. Put posters up, leaflets through doors. Have promotions to get people come back. Give kids go free with a paying adult tickets to schools. Run the club like a business? They have the Ayr Utd lottery at Tesco, Asda, Holly fair, air show, schools fetes etc. Instead of just promoting the lottery they should be trying to sell tickets and season tickets too.

Come on Ayr Utd show some iniative!

6 minutes ago, Mgc1910 said:

It's been evident for a long time that the fan base at Ayr has been steadily eroded, but it is still shocking to see us only sell 2500 tickets for an Ayrshire Derby.  If nothing else, this torpedoes the summer football argument once and for all.

I don't really blame the club.  What do you do?  Scottish football has been rigged for years against clubs like Ayr and it's evident that provincial clubs have been losing fans generally.  That said, being out of the premier league for forty years is a problem specific to Ayr.  The real fault line at Ayr for me is the Bill Barr era.  Fortunes ploughed into the club with no real delivery or legacy.  For all Barr's generosity and ambition, it was criminal to stick with Dalziel season after season when he patently wasn't up to the job.  We can only speculate what a better manager would have done with al, that money.  That said, the stalemate with the stadium during those years would have stopped us going up anyway, even if Dalziel had managed to get his act together.  

I do agree that it doesn't help it's a mickey mouse cup group stage which most people view as glorified pre-season games. Also it's right in the middle of July which inevitably means some people can't go because of holidays but i do also believe that we are losing huge chunks of supporters for the foreseeable future as we've turned into a yo-yo club between Championship and League 1.

18 minutes ago, ftk said:

Fully expect a rush over the next 2 days. We will have 3500 at the game more than Killie that's not bad for a league cup game in July.

5 minutes ago, ftk said:

People on here have said it before but you need to promote the game. Not just this game but all games and season tickets. Put posters up, leaflets through doors. Have promotions to get people come back. Give kids go free with a paying adult tickets to schools. Run the club like a business? They have the Ayr Utd lottery at Tesco, Asda, Holly fair, air show, schools fetes etc. Instead of just promoting the lottery they should be trying to sell tickets and season tickets too.

Come on Ayr Utd show some iniative!

They keep saying they're going to do this sort of stuff but never do and even ignore people that approach the club to assist. A recent one i heard of is that the owner of Cafe Society is an Ayr fan through and through and he tried to get in contact with the club about advertising games or selling tickets etc and got completely ignored or denied. I hate to say this since he seems like a genuine guy and an Ayr supporter but not exactly sure if Graeme Miller is doing enough on the commercial side for the club.

2 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Fully expect a rush over the next 2 days. We will have 3500 at the game more than Killie that's not bad for a league cup game in July.

Hopefully a lot of people are waiting to get it on the day.

They keep saying they're going to do this sort of stuff but never do and even ignore people that approach the club to assist. A recent one i heard of is that the owner of Cafe Society is an Ayr fan through and through and he tried to get in contact with the club about advertising games or selling tickets etc and got completely ignored or denied. I hate to say this since he seems like a genuine guy and an Ayr supporter but not exactly sure if Graeme Miller is doing enough on the commercial side for the club.

I totally agree with you I don't think he is doing enough either. I wouldn't mind spending a few hours puting leaflets through doors and I'm sure other fans would too. All businesses need to advertise and Ayr Utd is no different.

At the moment this is what we're looking like cover wise:

GK - Hart, Avci

RB - Reid, Geggan, Waite 

CB - Reid, Rose, Higgins, Ballantyne, Adams*

LB - Boyle, Ballantyne, Thorburn, Waite*

Wingers - McDaid, McGuffie, Forrest, Murphy, McCowan, Crawford* Hilton, Gilmour*, Waite*

CM - Doc, Geggan, Gilmour, Adams, Crawford, Faulds, Balfour, McCowan, Waite*

CF - Moore, Moffat, Forrest, McDaid, Hilton, Murphy*

*At a push, have played there before.

2 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Ageed, another 3 or 4 players and we'll be good to go but with no budget left that looks highly unlikely.

Yeah, I think he's undermined his argument a bit there.

I think we can all agree we probably need at least a couple more outfield players - certainly another centre-half.

Given its only the second week in July, I don't think the squad looks too bad.  The loan market doesn't really kick off until early August, particularly for English clubs and by then some free agents may have adjusted their wage expectations.  As for the budget side of things, most clubs tend to plead poverty even if there is money to spend - are you really going to advertise to agents that you have plenty of cash to throw about?

Agree though that we are putting a lot of faith in an untried goalkeeper, an injury prone striker and, well. Michael Rose.

1 minute ago, Mgc1910 said:

Given its only the second week in July, I don't think the squad looks too bad.  The loan market doesn't really kick off until early August, particularly for English clubs and by then some free agents may have adjusted their wage expectations.  As for the budget side of things, most clubs tend to plead poverty even if there is money to spend - are you really going to advertise to agents that you have plenty of cash to throw about?

Agree though that we are putting a lot of faith in an untried goalkeeper, an injury prone striker and, well. Michael Rose.

The guy has nearly 50 senior appearances in the SPFL....

I don't think the squad is in that bad a shape. It's all down to how much trust McCall has in say a David Waite or Grant Thorburn as they are the 20s players who have the best chance of starting at the moment. Boyle only senior left back so anything happens Grant will play and dependant on where Reid plays, if he wants Geggan CM then Waite is the replacement. This is the right League for these guys to get a shot and I hope McCall doesn't shy away.

I would expect the pleading of poverty line from McCall is to make sure players are not going to hold out / push for higher wages. Now that we are full time, there will be a perception we have money to throw at players, so its probably a ploy to ensure McCall can use the "we are breaking the budget to get you in son as it is" line on any potential recruits. The League Cup game alone should bring in enough itself to pay for another player for a year, but as others have said its still really early in pre-season and I wouldn't expect the squad to be anywhere near complete until the middle to end of August. Last year Harkins was signed 12th August and Balatoni 2nd Sept

5b55d4edbe1733d3b0d84cc9a9328cc8.jpg

A lot of doom and gloom re: the current squad - here is the lineup from the opening league game of what was a promotion season 2 years ago in the same league. Surely most would agree that we are in a better shape just now.

Archived