Cherry picking

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If we were in desperate need of 70k then I can see your point but we arent. 

Hypothetical question:

A player is out of contract and the club he is with who are due compensation if he moves on offer him a 3 year deal. If no one comes in for him does he only have two options? Either take the 3 year deal or simply not play at all until someone is either willing to pay comp or he becomes old enough not to qualify fro compensation?

Pretty much what happened with John McGinn but then Saints n Hibs came to an agreement over reduced fee but big sell on clause.

There was chat of McGinn going to America (think he trained with a team Owen coyle was in charge of) which would have meant no compo to saints at all but he would have stayed playing.

12 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Would swap Wedderburn for Ronaldo plus add on clauses for when he becomes England captain.

I think they'd have to chuck in Darren Dods as well if we were genuinely to consider a swap for big Nat. 

Quite difficult at the moment to think who I would take. It all depends whether we get up or not. Although I'm not sure how well even the 'high level' championship players would handle the premier. Loy for instance, would have took him back no problem for this division, premier not so much. 

35 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

Quite difficult at the moment to think who I would take. It all depends whether we get up or not. Although I'm not sure how well even the 'high level' championship players would handle the premier. Loy for instance, would have took him back no problem for this division, premier not so much. 

You'd have to have matched the (completely illegal) £10k signing-on bonus that Morton fans keep hearing we offered Loy. It's the only explanation for him turning them down to join us.

17 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

You'd have to have matched the (completely illegal) £10k signing-on bonus that Morton fans keep hearing we offered Loy. It's the only explanation for him turning them down to join us.

Was he not on loan from Dundee ?

1 minute ago, Believe The Hype said:

Was he not on loan from Dundee ?

Yeah. But he picked us instead of the Ton, so rumours circulated that there'd been some sort of golden handshake. There are now rumours that it was a non-relegation bonus. 

17 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Yeah. But he picked us instead of the Ton, so rumours circulated that there'd been some sort of golden handshake. There are now rumours that it was a non-relegation bonus. 

Why would that be illegal?

31 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Far too big a name to be going to Morton at this stage in his career. Easy choice IMO, would have liked to have had him for the 2nd half of the season. 

18 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

That doesn't sound illegal to me.

It's not law of the land "illegal". I think it is against football rules though. It certainly used to be in the old SFL days. You weren't allowed to pay a "transfer fee" for a loan player, only make a contribution somewhere between 0% and 100% to his wages. I'm not sure if there's any rule against it now though. I'm sure there have been suggestions of cross Border fees for long term loans before. Did Celtic not pay something for Patrick Roberts? I've never heard of one being paid domestically though.

8 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It's not law of the land "illegal". I think it is against football rules though. It certainly used to be in the old SFL days. You weren't allowed to pay a "transfer fee" for a loan player, only make a contribution somewhere between 0% and 100% to his wages. I'm not sure if there's any rule against it now though. I'm sure there have been suggestions of cross Border fees for long term loans before. Did Celtic not pay something for Patrick Roberts? I've never heard of one being paid domestically though.

Harris had apparently been getting retrained the last 6 months into playing in behind a striker. He appeared the last few weeks of The season (might have actually been against QOS) and actually looked better there than he did when he got moved back out wide against Raith.

7 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

You just talk shite. 

In my previous experience with tgig on here he comes across as a quite forgiving guy, mate.Maybe if you apologise for your tasteless comment then everyone can move on pal? just a thought mate

Archived