St Johnstone FC European Tour 17/18

Steve McQueen

4 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Will it, aye?

Yep. Though not to worry; I'm sure that your utter humiliation against Alashkert will cling onto its status in the top 5 as well. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The highest fee we've paid in the last 15 years is about £50k, Trakai have recieved more than that in transfers last season.
Greek, Portuguese and Polish top flight sides have spent six figures on players from the Lithuanian leagues.
Clearly though, we can just stroll in and snap them up for free because its such a backwater 

Where have you seen that Trakai received any money for departing players last season or are you just making that up?

3 minutes ago, virginton said:

Yep. Though not to worry; I'm sure that your utter humiliation against Alashkert will cling onto its status in the top 5 as well. 

Don't forget FC Minsk. They were fucking shite too.

Tommy has been successful at St Johnstone based around sticking with his tried and tested experienced players. Except in Europe. I seem to recall Caddis and Scott Brown rarely got starts, but had one or two in European matches. May was obviously thrown in against rosenborg, then Gilchrist tonight.

Sometimes it's worked, and others it hasn't, but just intrigued as to why he seems more inclined to do it in European matches?

5 minutes ago, Mr Romanov said:

Until we start the season earlier these embarrassing results will keep coming. 

Saying that, pleasing to see Tommy Wright being humiliated. :thumsup2

We beat far better teams in Rosenborg and Luzern at this time of the year though so that theory doesn't really hold up.

Did Morton not get absolutely horsed by Chelsea back in the day? Back when Chelsea were shit?

Are you trying to compare a shit Chelsea side to Trakai?

And Trnava, god they were awful.

In fact, lets throw eskiherispor in as well

3 minutes ago, WendyWho? said:

I think that was our worst result. They were the worst side we've played in Europe, and going out on penalties after winning the away leg was dreadful.  We battered them in the home leg too, but kept skying free kicks over the bar, before they eventually scored with about their only strike.

2 minutes ago, Miguel Simao said:

We beat far better teams in Rosenborg and Luzern at this time of the year though so that theory doesn't really hold up.

True, there will always be the odd result, but I'd say there is a clear trend now. Saw it with Hearts last year where it was blatantly a fitness issue, Celtic lost to some diddy mob, you have lost this year to some diddy mob, the Rangers result was poor all things considered. 

We are starting this competition earlier and earlier. It is just common sense that we have to be up to speed competitively by this point if we want to avoid further embarrassment.

1 minute ago, mizfit said:

At the end of the day we were caught out, wether it's the usual Scottish arrogance of "backwater European hellhole", a complete lack of preparation, or us just being Shite.

A serious wake up call is needed for everyone in our game.

Take Celtic out of Scotlands coefficient...

2012/13 - 0.375 - Hearts (0.5), Motherwell (0), Dundee United (0.5), St Johnstone (0.5)

2013/14 - 0.500 - Motherwell (0), St Johnstone (1.5), Hibernian (0)

2014/15 - 1.833 - St Johnstone (1.5), Aberdeen (3.5), Motherwell (0.5)

2015/16 - 1.500 - Aberdeen (3), Inverness (0.5), St Johnstone (1)

2016/17 - 2.667 - Aberdeen (3.5), Hibernian (1), Hearts (3.5)

Five year total - 6.875

"True" position - 36th

That puts us behind teams from Cyprus, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Liechtenstein, and Moldova. If folk still haven't woken up to our actual position in European football by now, and continue to mock nations who have already surpassed us or are well on their way to doing so, then we're fucked. 

True, there will always be the odd result, but I'd say there is a clear trend now. Saw it with Hearts last year where it was blatantly a fitness issue, Celtic lost to some diddy mob, you have lost this year to some diddy mob, the Rangers result was poor all things considered. 
We are starting this competition earlier and earlier. It is just common sense that we have to be up to speed competitively by this point if we want to avoid further embarrassment.

The league in Luxembourg ends in May and starts in August so the only excuse there is rangers are shite.

I hate to say it but that's a very poor result whatever way you look at it. Surely there's no excuse for not being prepared given how often Saints have entered Europe at this point in recent years. Would be a huge blow to miss out on a seeded tie in QR2 as well.

Starting the season earlier, as I said in that post you quoted :blink:

Extremely vague though. The season only finished 5 weeks ago and I'm pretty sure St Johnstone will have been back atleast 2 weeks to prepare for this.

Surely that wee break can't be making that much difference...

That puts us behind teams from Cyprus, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Liechtenstein, and Moldova.

But still ahead of Lithuania and Armenia!

And Liechtenstein is an oddity as they only enter 1 team FC Vaduz who actually play in the Swiss league.

Archived