Forfar Athletic 2017-18

Can anyone update us about the Development squad loans and emergency loans?

Darren Whyte.  Loan up and back to St Mirren?  The back 4 against Albion Rovers with him at RB looked as good as anything I have seen this season.

Connor Duthie and Scott Lochhead.   Loan up? What happens now?

Russell Dingwall and Ross McIver.    In until May.  Are they in to replace the above two ?

Jim stated in his interview that they were up at 03:00 to get to Methill!  What time will they be up for the Stranraer away game?

Seriously, is it right to expect two young lads tomake a 300 mile round trip. Are they any better than Duthie and Lochhead or indeed our own development squad players who would not be faced with the nightmare travel problems.

Given the fact that we might be short of a RB it could be a chance for Scott McBride.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, victormeldrew said:

Darren Whyte.  Loan up and back to St Mirren?  The back 4 against Albion Rovers with him at RB looked as good as anything I have seen this season.

Russell Dingwall and Ross McIver.    In until May.  Are they in to replace the above two ?

Jim stated in his interview that they were up at 03:00 to get to Methill!  What time will they be up for the Stranraer away game?

Seriously, is it right to expect two young lads tomake a 300 mile round trip. Are they any better than Duthie and Lochhead or indeed our own development squad players who would not be faced with the nightmare travel problems.

Given the fact that we might be short of a RB it could be a chance for Scott McBride.

Whyte's loan was extended to end of season.

3 hours ago, victormeldrew said:

Duthie will be gone, not sure about Lochhead, I would assume so as per Dee_62's comments.  Weren't up to much tbh, would they have been given game time if we hadn't had the injuries?

Are you sure Weir said 03:00 rise as opposed to a 3 hour drive to get to Methil from the deepest-darkest north?  Given the game started at 15:00 and you would think they had to be there for 13:00/13:30, that's a 10 hour drive.  I would expect to be in Birmingham with a good couple of stops in between and plenty to spare, with that allotted time.

Dingwall looked ok on Saturday, McIver less so, though he put a shift in.  The weather made a mockery of anyone wanting to play attractive football other than Easton, so difficult to call if they are an improvement on the departing loanees.

McBride has no chance, why would you suggest such a thing!  Travis, Whyte, Bain and MacKintosh can all play RB, LB is the real problem.

Rumour has it more than one signing before Wednesday is out, LB cover is one of them.

8 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

Duthie will be gone, not sure about Lochhead, I would assume so as per Dee_62's comments.  Weren't up to much tbh, would they have been given game time if we hadn't had the injuries?

Are you sure Weir said 03:00 rise as opposed to a 3 hour drive to get to Methil from the deepest-darkest north?  Given the game started at 15:00 and you would think they had to be there for 13:00/13:30, that's a 10 hour drive.  I would expect to be in Birmingham with a good couple of stops in between and plenty to spare, with that allotted time.

Dingwall looked ok on Saturday, McIver less so, though he put a shift in.  The weather made a mockery of anyone wanting to play attractive football other than Easton, so difficult to call if they are an improvement on the departing loanees.

McBride has no chance, why would you suggest such a thing!  Travis, Whyte, Bain and MacKintosh can all play RB, LB is the real problem.

Rumour has it more than one signing before Wednesday is out, LB cover is one of them.

I have listened again to the post match interview and Jim  definitely says, "leave early at 3 O'Clock this morning".

Given their age maybe the boys were on their bikes down from Dingwall, or maybe it was a joke as Jims interviews are a laugh a minute. 

Patrick Cregg left by mutual consent, don’t think he’ll be missed really!
Turned out to be a bit of a disappointing signing if I’m honest!

Cregg hopeless See hopeless Mensing hopeless. GB had a great eye for a player.

Cregg hopeless See hopeless Mensing hopeless. GB had a great eye for a player.
Cox, Bain, Adam, McCallum, Easton, Millar, Malone. On the face of it Cregg should have been a good signing too.
GB had a fair few faults but his signings weren't too bad all in all. Retaining our better players was not a good trait though.

Cox, Bain, Adam, McCallum, Easton, Millar, Malone. On the face of it Cregg should have been a good signing too.
GB had a fair few faults but his signings weren't too bad all in all. Retaining our better players was not a good trait though.

Fair point but Bain and Cox played for him so no real judgement skills.The others were indeed ok so probably this pre season was his low point.

On 2/1/2018 at 19:38, Loondave1 said:

Fair point but Bain and Cox played for him so no real judgement skills.The others were indeed ok so probably this pre season was his low point.

Sorry to be picky, he took a real judgement at Airdrie signing Cox.  I'll give you the Bain comment though.

ETA, I think we're about to see where GB's weaknesses really were.   Munro's longer term commitment along with McCallum and Bain, and more of our better players rumoured to be committing in the next week or so  shows that Weir is happy to work with previous manager's signings if they are good enough and players are happy to sign on again for Weir.  Bain is probably the most telling, I really thought he would have been away to Cowden.

The official FAFC websites comments regarding Weir trying to get Munro back is a strange one.  You would think recalling a loan player would be simple.

On 26/01/2018 at 21:33, UnitedLoon63 said:

Good to get bain signed up. Would try get Travis, Munro, Miller, Malone and Scott signed up also

Andy Munro has done the necessary and I'd add Michael Kennedy to that list too.

Come on Trav - you know you want to ;)

10 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

I think we're about to see where GB's weaknesses really were.   Munro's longer term commitment along with McCallum and Bain, and more of our better players rumoured to be committing in the next week or so  shows that Weir is happy to work with previous manager's signings if they are good enough and players are happy to sign on again for Weir.  Bain is probably the most telling, I really thought he would have been away to Cowden

25 minutes ago, Kwaka Mal said:

Andy Munro has done the necessary and I'd add Michael Kennedy to that list too.

Come on Trav - you know you want to ;)

I totally agree with both these posts. Gary was able to attract a good calibrate of player to the club but his managerial style could not keep them, that said certain disruptive characters are gone too. I liked GB as a person but is either a woeful manager or simply not the right fit for us. I'm gutted wee Coxy has left but his amigo Bain signing an extension speaks volumes about JW. I must say I'm happy to be eating humble pie regards Weir, I was far from happy at his appointment but I now believe we have the right man and the good times are not far away, the players seem to be well on board with him too. By the look on Trav's face when he scored his brace at the last home game he'll be open to signing an extension too hopefully. We had a good set of players signed by Bollan but Jim is forming them into a team.

Getting back to David Cox and the article on the BBC website yesterday, my heart went out to him again but regards fans shouting abuse about his issues, he's gone to Cowdenbeath where the fans were about the worst I was aware of for abusing him......

5 minutes ago, theSilverFox said:

Getting back to David Cox and the article on the BBC website yesterday, my heart went out to him again but regards fans shouting abuse about his issues

Even worse, I think, were fellow players trying to goad on the same subject. Despicable.

13 minutes ago, theSilverFox said:

but I now believe we have the right man and the good times are not far away, the players seem to be well on board with him to

Like you, I wasn't exactly jumping with joy at JW's appointment but he certainly seems to be forging a 'team'.

All the fans want is to see the players/team at least trying for the whole 90 minutes, and we appear to have that at the moment.

It's a bit early to be singing the praises of the manager yet, i certainly wasn't overjoyed at JW's appointment but realized he had to be given a chance.

So far i have not overly impressed, lap top managers are not my cup of tea, tactically he has been found wanting on occasions and the Cup defeat at Fortmartine was a turning point for me.

Obviously he has had his hands tied with regards to new signings and we are heading down the Colts route which i don't agree with. The next 3 league games will go a long way to our survival this season.....let's see what awaits before making any rash judgement's. 

Archived