Forfar Athletic 2017-18

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You have to give the loanees a chance to bed in. Hurst is well thought of at St Johnstone and has been chased by clubs from England.
The age difference of 2-3 years of the loanees to development players is massive in terms of physique and learning the game.
I agree the young lads should get a chance but in league 1 all  you need is a hoofer  "welcome to the big league son" boys to go right through one of the 17-18 year olds and that's them injured. So it has to right for the boy and club.

The “laptop” meeting where we were told new players would come in during Jan window seems a false promise now. I suppose the club has no money and young lads on loan is all we can afford. Dinna build up our hopes if it’s not possible eh. Club has no money and this is it - doomed, Ah mind when we could sign good players. Changed days.

8 hours ago, lotteryloon said:

The “laptop” meeting where we were told (1)new players would come in during Jan window seems a false promise now. I suppose the club has no money and (2)young lads on loan is all we can afford. Dinna build up our hopes if it’s not possible eh.(3) Club has no money and this is it - doomed, (4)Ah mind when we could sign good players. Changed days.

1.This happened

2. This has always been the case

3. As most clubs in Scottish Football

4. When was this

Utter Pishe, we are low league team in Scottish football scrapping the barrel for as long as I know, now and again we find a wee gem (not for a long time, must said). There is not 1 player in our squad from the late 80's to early 90's that could lace there boots. We never paid money for these players at the time. I blame Heggy....

13 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

Utter Pishe, we are low league team in Scottish football scrapping the barrel for as long as I know, now and again we find a wee gem (not for a long time, must said). There is not 1 player in our squad from the late 80's to early 90's that could lace there boots. We never paid money for these players at the time. I blame Heggy....

You got the first two words right.

I cannot let such an outrageous statement go unchallenged.

We are a Club from a small Angus town that has punched well above it's weight since the early 70's under the Chairmanship of Sam Smith  and the mighty Archie Knox  who started the Loons revival. Check Wikki for a list of our achievements.

We have over the years paid serious money for players , Hall, Rae, Kennedy, McPhee, Hancock, Liddle, Tosh and Swankie to name but a few.

I assume you mean that there is not one player in our current squad who could lace the boots of the players from the late 80's early 90's .

I would suggest that McCallum and Easton could more than hold their own.

The reasons for our current situation are many including general decline in attendance, Bosman and the increased number of foreign players in the top league.

Have some pride in the club you allegedly support.

Jim's post match interviews are usually a decent watch. He reads the game well and no bull. However, he picks the team from the squad he has available. He states in his interview , as an excuse, that" it's a young team, a very young side." BUT, he chose to leave Malone, Millar and McBride on the bench. His decision.  He chose to go with McNaughton who was signed as a coach and has used his experience to make up for his lack of pace but surely  Jim must have seen in training that he was running on empty. 
Let's hope there is not a gentlemans agreement with Mr. Coyle that his boys must play as they are clearly not up to it. Off the bench for the last 15 mins at best. 
Let's also hope that Hurst , with more game time , can last a bit longer than the 15 mins he put in.
Aitken was immense, but every time he got the ball Airdrie had 2 or 3 players on him and he got very little support from his team mates.
Stick with our own signed players and our development squad kids .

Dingwall was easily the best player in the away win against east fife. threw himself about on Saturday aswell.

2 hours ago, HotTakesForDays said:

Dingwall was easily the best player in the away win against east fife. threw himself about on Saturday aswell.

Nah, McNaughton broke everything up and was pretty handy going forward (possibly why he got the nod ahead of Millar and Malone last week), Easton, too, was better on a day hardly anyone could actually play passing football.

Dingwall wasn't to shabby either, mind.

Airdrie beat us by playing better as a team, I'm afraid.  Nobody really stood out for them, they were just better drilled, which is a bit of a worry.'

13 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

Nah, McNaughton broke everything up and was pretty handy going forward (possibly why he got the nod ahead of Millar and Malone last week), Easton, too, was better on a day hardly anyone could actually play passing football.

Dingwall wasn't to shabby either, mind.

Airdrie beat us by playing better as a team, I'm afraid.  Nobody really stood out for them, they were just better drilled, which is a bit of a worry.'

I totally agree with this ^^

I was surprised McNaughton was subbed at HT last week after his contribution at Methil?  

Airdrie were indeed better on the day and as you say without an obvious standout.

Gonna head down tomorrow as we need to visit family close by anyway. It's as good a multi task as I can muster these days..:P  

"Comprehensive interview with Forfar Athletic manager Jim Weir and chairman Ken Stewart. Discusses various topics such as performances, January transfers, contract extentions [sic] and injury updates".

In case you've got a spare half an hour!

1 hour ago, dee_62 said:

"Comprehensive interview with Forfar Athletic manager Jim Weir and chairman Ken Stewart. Discusses various topics such as performances, January transfers, contract extentions [sic] and injury updates".

In case you've got a spare half an hour!

Good on 'em for taking the time out to do this sort of thing.

9 minutes ago, Kwaka Mal said:

Good on 'em for taking the time out to do this sort of thing.

completely agree - love this kind of stuff.  To have any idea about this kind of detail/info before the advent of Club websites/social media and FAFCTV, you'd have to read about 3 match programmes, scrape together some interviews from the courier and get told some stuff from someone down the pub who knows someone, who knows the groundsman's auntie. 

Well done all at FAFC

Archived