The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

I can recall one or two unsubstantiated claims on here after our dealings in the Jan window, that we bought our way out of trouble, now that did make me chuckle. f**k all to to with buying players and more to do with with good management from JR and even better business dealings from Gordon Scott.
We got our house in order after a disastrous first 6 months and we did it without busting the bank. 
Whats not to like about that. 

Utterly delusional nonsense. Handing Rory Loy for example a £10k bonus for avoiding relegation is precisely an example of 'buying your way out of trouble'. That is a direct £10k package to a footballer that less desperate clubs simply do not offer at this level. Of course, some credit lies with the fact that it ended up going to sufficient players to get you out of trouble (Morton's similar effort in the January window in 2014 didn't exactly work out well) but to claim that it was a financially neutral window is bollocks. I believe that Skyline Drifter has already shredded that argument to bits.

The proof of that pudding, incidentally, is the understated nature of your business in this window. If Saint Mirren didn't invest heavily and unsustainably in January then why are you currently rummaging around the clearance bins for part-time players and Dale Hilson? If Ross rated those players highly enough to achieve your *unstated* aims at this level then why didn't he just pay the token fees needed to release the same players from their contracts six months ago?

Any rational viewer of the situation would arrive at this straightforward conclusion: Saint Mirren's investment in January was unsustainable and therefore involved 'buying their way out of trouble'. Now that the immediate crisis is over they're suffering a relative hangover in terms of their activity in the transfer market due to that business. Which is what an utterly failed 'big team' like yourselves have dealt with every summer since you slithered down to this level. And leads to a repeating cycle of utter failure.

Hard lines.

1498604879959.jpg

47 minutes ago, virginton said:

Utterly delusional nonsense. Handing Rory Loy for example a £10k bonus for avoiding relegation is precisely an example of 'buying your way out of trouble'. That is a direct £10k package to a footballer that less desperate clubs simply do not offer at this level. 

Do you have proof of this or are you just bumping your crack addled gums?

I suspect it's the latter.

Saints fans voted to donate 8k to the playing budget, 10k is nowt to us [emoji857].

However the Ayr chairman admitted he ploughed 400k into the club, no chance our chairman did that.

Can see why Ton fans will be angry about Loy choosing us, if they got him instead of that dumpling Shankland their season could have ended different and we probably would have been relegated.

Anyway good to see Reilly and Stewart scoring early, could do with these guys grabbing a few this pre-season to build up their confidence. Nothing worse than signing a striker and they are still looking for their first goal in October.

6 hours ago, virginton said:

Utterly delusional nonsense. Handing Rory Loy for example a £10k bonus for avoiding relegation is precisely an example of 'buying your way out of trouble'. That is a direct £10k package to a footballer that less desperate clubs simply do not offer at this level. Of course, some credit lies with the fact that it ended up going to sufficient players to get you out of trouble (Morton's similar effort in the January window in 2014 didn't exactly work out well) but to claim that it was a financially neutral window is bollocks. I believe that Skyline Drifter has already shredded that argument to bits.

The proof of that pudding, incidentally, is the understated nature of your business in this window. If Saint Mirren didn't invest heavily and unsustainably in January then why are you currently rummaging around the clearance bins for part-time players and Dale Hilson? If Ross rated those players highly enough to achieve your *unstated* aims at this level then why didn't he just pay the token fees needed to release the same players from their contracts six months ago?

Any rational viewer of the situation would arrive at this straightforward conclusion: Saint Mirren's investment in January was unsustainable and therefore involved 'buying their way out of trouble'. Now that the immediate crisis is over they're suffering a relative hangover in terms of their activity in the transfer market due to that business. Which is what an utterly failed 'big team' like yourselves have dealt with every summer since you slithered down to this level. And leads to a repeating cycle of utter failure.

Hard lines.

1498604879959.jpg

:lol:

Pure seethe. Don't worry, pal, the next SMISA surplus payment is going to be used to pay for you to get your end away.

Anyway good to see Reilly and Stewart scoring early, could do with these guys grabbing a few this pre-season to build up their confidence. Nothing worse than signing a striker and they are still looking for their first goal in October.

Let's not get too carried away just yet. Remember Callum Ball scored 5 in a friendly.

Do you have proof of this or are you just bumping your crack addled gums?
I suspect it's the latter.

Tbf I heard that too, he wasn't the only one either.

8 hours ago, virginton said:

to claim that it was a financially neutral window is bollocks. I believe that Skyline Drifter has already shredded that argument to bits.

Actually, he said this:

16 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Of course clearly St Mirren could well afford it due to the player sales, and it was great business they did.

If paying for players with money you've raised by selling players isn't the very definition of 'financially neutral', then I don't know what is.

So, as usual, VT, you're spouting ill-founded, delusional nonsense. Blinded by the seethe.

Thanks for playing, word salad, back in your box, gutted for you, ainsleyharriett.jpg, etc etc etc.

I've never heard such jealous crap in my life.Cappielow cringe is alive indeed.

Their world is made up of hating Saints 24/7. I feel this season it may get so much worse as they take their rightful place in our shadow. Just be careful fellow buddies they walk amongst us :thumsup2

34 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Actually, he said this:

If paying for players with money you've raised by selling players isn't the very definition of 'financially neutral', then I don't know what is.

No, clearly you dont ;)

Financially neutral is a financial position that doesnt change, it has nothing to do with whether or not its affordable.

Its pretty clear that St Mirren were spending more post January than before, something Northbank refuted. 

The club, though, could afford it and given it meant avoiding relegation it was clearly money well spent. The fact that theres still money left and potentially a fair whack to come is even better. But denying it happened just seems a bit silly

4 minutes ago, Mr X said:

No, clearly you dont ;)

Financially neutral is a financial position that doesnt change, it has nothing to do with whether or not its affordable.

Its pretty clear that St Mirren were spending more post January than before, something Northbank refuted. 

The club, though, could afford it and given it meant avoiding relegation it was clearly money well spent. The fact that theres still money left and potentially a fair whack to come is even better. But denying it happened just seems a bit silly

Yes, and our bottom line financial position didn't change.