The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

There’s already a meltdown going on twitter about Ross Stewart leaving. He didn’t feature much last season and spent most of it at Alloa in league one. Maybe Stubbs reckons he’s not good enough for this level and it gives him more in the pot to bring in a better player.

I think he’s got great potential tbh. Just need to wait and see as there’s been nothing official as yet.

Got to say, that is disappointing if true. Not that Stewart was integral to our survival, but still... like many I saw some potential there.

Stubbs could pull a rabbit out of a hat here and deliver with a couple of key signings in the forward area but I am beginning to have my doubts. Could we run on just Mullen and Cooke up front? Em, sure, but it would be pretty thin gruel.

My only hope is that he is certain of players signing as whether he wanted Stewart around long term or it stills seems folly to let him go before that replacement has a scarf waved above his head.

Who knows, maybe Stewart is/was keen to move?

3 minutes ago, geo87 said:

http://www.ayrunitedfc.co.uk/club-statement/

Ayr taking a leaf out of rangers book

I read the link and I see no mention of Ayr being raped by their own kit provider, their Chairman failing to transfer funds from down the back of his South African sofa, their year of founding being 2012, their failure to win the Diddy B&Q Bells Ramsdens Irn Bru Petrofac Challenge Cup, or any mention of their recent journey from the bottom rung of Scottish fitba’.

Leaf out of Sevco’s book my arse. Fake news. Disappointing post geo87, disappointing.

The statement is fine, it's just Ayr putting it out that every player has their price and that Ayr will be bargaining like a mofo because Shankland's on form. Understandable really.

That said, McCall has spent almost the last 4 weeks raving about how fit he is, and that he's more than capable of playing higher up the league and wondering why no other clubs had taken him on.

2 hours ago, FTOF said:

Is that the guy that scored and set up one for you in a bounce game?

The very chap.

I just made up that he's going to you btw. Could do worse than at least have a look at him while he's here I'd have thought. Wouldn't be the first player to be knocked back after a trial from one club and come good elsewhere. 

4 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

The very chap.

I just made up that he's going to you btw. Could do worse than at least have a look at him while he's here I'd have thought. Wouldn't be the first player to be knocked back after a trial from one club and come good elsewhere. 

Agreed, we knocked back Paul Ritchie several years ago after he had a good loan spell because he was too old.

He then went to Caley and won the 1st division, scoring over 20 league goals in the progress.

4 hours ago, Demented Zebra said:

Ayr fan reporting we are sniffing around Shankland. 

No chance of shankland coming back.

Stewart won’t move until next week until we have our replacement in either.

Stewart strikes me as being the current squad's version of John Baird in that he didn't play much for the title-winning side and is going to find game time even more limited now we're in the top flight (although maybe not with the options we currently have at our disposal!). 

If he gets a decent run of games he'll probably score a fair number for County. I could see him playing plenty for us due to our lack of strikers but can't see him scoring that often in the Premiership.

Agreed, we knocked back Paul Ritchie several years ago after he had a good loan spell because he was too old.
He then went to Caley and won the 1st division, scoring over 20 league goals in the progress.
We also did the opposite when we signed Jens Paeslack after he played in a trial for Hibs against us. Hibs rejected him but we signed him.....Hibs made the right decision.

Pretty sure Alan Russell scored a double against us we then signed him from Hamilton and he never scored again.

3 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Liam Smith told he can leave lets bring him back.

I can’t see Stubbs signing Liam tbh. He’s made a pigs ear about signing strikers, so that’s probably  where his priority remains. A target man and a left winger/ midfielder.