The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Did I?

Tanser was poor defensively for us and lost his place for a reason, he then chucked it because he was told he'd have to compete for a starting spot. I've always been fairly clear I think hes one of the best attacking wing backs in the division.

Where have I said I think Kiltie is poor?

I think Kiltie is good enough for a side battling for the top half but also think hes nowhere near as good as Jamie McGrath, especially over a season. 

You'll realise what you had when its gone.

I would have thought the suggestion you had a massive hard-on would have been your focus point 😂

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Did I?

Tanser was poor defensively for us and lost his place for a reason, he then chucked it because he was told he'd have to compete for a starting spot. I've always been fairly clear I think hes one of the best attacking wing backs in the division.

Where have I said I think Kiltie is poor?

I think Kiltie is good enough for a side battling for the top half but also think hes nowhere near as good as Jamie McGrath, especially over a season. 

You'll realise what you had when its gone.

Yeah , you told us he was a shite bag, he can’t win headers, can’t play in a back 4 and that he would down tools as soon as the going got tough. 

Surpeise surprise you were wrong every time. 

1 minute ago, Torfason said:

I would have thought the suggestion you had a massive hard-on would have been your focus point 😂

TBF we just chucked 6 figures at a 6"3 striker with MLS goals who by most descriptions is a potential Tade who can finish, I've had a hard on for hours...

1 minute ago, Saint Shug said:

Yeah , you told us he was a shite bag, he can’t win headers, can’t play in a back 4 and that he would down tools as soon as the going got tough. 

Surpeise surprise you were wrong every time. 

I'd be surprised if that was true, considering he pretty much topped our aerial figures every time I checked last season and I mentioned that being an advantage to playing him over Booth.

He regularly got chucked about in a back four against top 6 sides, and especially by James Forrest, if hes changed hes changed but I don't understand why I'm getting criticised for not predicting the future, it was a clear weakness of his with us.

18 minutes ago, Torfason said:

What are you saying? That Killie weren’t gutted when he left, that Sevco don’t snap up players and loan them out, that being sent on loan twice when he was a youngster at Middlesbrough makes him a problem player? 

Senior career*
Years Team Apps (Gls)
2013–2016 Middlesbrough 0 (0)
2015  Hartlepool United (loan) 11 (0)
2015  Cambridge United (loan) 1 (0)
2016–2019 Kilmarnock 97 (11)
2019–2021 Rangers 10 (1)
2021  Sunderland (loan) 20 (3)
2021- Wigan Athletic 9 (0)
National team
  Northern Ireland U19    
2017– Northern Ireland 12 (1)
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 22:03, 7 November 2021 (UTC)
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 00:25, 31 May 2021 (UTC)

He's an excellent player and anyone saying otherwise is talking out of their arse. He'd be a great fit for your team too.

19 hours ago, Vinnyjag said:

Rumours that we’re looking to sign Kyle McCallister from you guys what’s he like and do you think he would do well in Championship?

Good player IMHO. Some on here seem to berate him. We use him mostly as an impact player off the bench and he usually does make a difference. Not the strongest defensively but is clever, can pick a pass and works hard. 

Unlike some, I'd rather he stays. 

I would much prefer McGrath to stay now, as we're not going to get anything decent for him. I also think he's a decent lad and after the window shuts would be committed again. I do think a lot of his poor form earlier this season was down to Goodwin's negative formation.

A front (ish) 3 of Brophy, McGrath and Kiltie is not to be sniffed at.

Biggest thing for me is to get rid of some of the guys who have made no impact. I'd be quite happy to see Main, Erwin and Dennis all gone. I've heard Main is our highest earner though 😬

It all depends on whether you believe the "Scottish" Daily Express or not, but they are throwing around values of 150k. Now bare in mind the express is a vile hateful rag that lies endlessly I'm not sure how much stock I put into their figure. If it is that low though, I'd say keep him. He'll do far more for us than a £150k would at this particular time. I'd understand if we were desperate for the cash, but we're not. Of course, we're not flush, either.

As for Jones, there is a player in there. Surprised he didn't succeed down South as he seems to have all the abilities to do well at that level, but for whatever reason if he's looking for a return to Scotland I'd happily see him added to the squad. I do have concerns regarding his staunchness though, and the last thing I want is Sun/DR headlines of "Ex Rangers player gives his take on the up coming OF match" which is the norm when you take OF offcasts.

18 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Which would leave us with only 2 strikers, one of which has missed part of the season through injury, the other has played about 15 minutes in his 2 sub appearances. 

They have 5 goals between them (with 3 to Main alone) - I'm sure we'd cope. 

13 minutes ago, Ric said:

As for Jones, there is a player in there. Surprised he didn't succeed down South as he seems to have all the abilities to do well at that level, but for whatever reason if he's looking for a return to Scotland I'd happily see him added to the squad. I do have concerns regarding his staunchness though...

He's a Celtic fan so no staunchness whatsoever.

4 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

He's a Celtic fan so no staunchness whatsoever.

Maybe I've confused him with someone else then, wasn't he a PCA signing for Rangers and came out in the press, while he was still with Killie, saying how happy he was to be joining Rangers.

Just now, Ric said:

Maybe I've confused him with someone else then, wasn't he a PCA signing for Rangers and came out in the press, while he was still with Killie, saying how happy he was to be joining Rangers.

Rangers fans despised him as he was often pictured at Celtic games when Rangers weren't playing. 

He was probably happy to join Rangers as they'd have been paying him a load of cash.

The McGrath saga is boring me now. 

1 minute ago, Ric said:

Possibly and he even scored a winning goal for Kilmarnock against Rangers after he had signed the PCA.

I'm referring to a video which appeared on twitter around the same time he was send off in an OF game which showed him singing Sellick songs.

7 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Possibly and he even scored a winning goal for Kilmarnock against Rangers after he had signed the PCA.

I'm referring to a video which appeared on twitter around the same time he was send off in an OF game which showed him singing Sellick songs.

Fair enough, I never paid that much attention (it's the OF, it's just constant noise) at the time. Clearly I picked up on that wrongly.