The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

6 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

In summary:

In: Jones, Greive, Gogic, £££ £££

Out: McGrath, McAllister, MacPherson, Dennis

Not a bad window but left a little short up front. Assuming that Main will be fit again soon.

I've missed some of this. So McAllister has gone to Thistle, McGrath to Wigan, MacPherson to Saintees & Dennis to Carlisle, is that right?

Not a bad window overall, we got rid of some deadwood and a player who no longer wanted to be here and signed three internationalists. 

Bit disappointed we had to let Dennis go as Erwin wouldn't play ball but hey ho, both would have been gone by summer anyway.

Dennis showed flashes but not consistency. There's a good footballer there and I hope he does really well at Carlisle.

Still unsure what Scott Allan would have brought. We seem to have been linked with him for a wee while now. Can't get a start at Hibs but supposedly has huge talent. I've not seen enough of him but perhaps we'll seal the deal in Summer.

McAllister is a great signing for Thistle. If he stays fit and motivated he'll tear that league up. 

Overall a good window. Decent to see some excitement just before the window closes.

I think it's a decent window. Like everyone else, I'd have quite liked another striker, but the truth is we have 4 on the books for one spot. I know 2 of them are crap, and one of them is very raw, but it is what it is and there isn't an unlimited pot. (In fact, according to B&W army we are about to go bust). I expect both Jones and Kiltie could play up front in a pinch as well.

Sounds like it may be a few weeks before we see Jones starting regularly, but I expect Gogic will start tomorrow. With Alnwick in goals, the usual back 4 with McCarthy and Tait covering, Power and Gogic with Erhahon and Flynn offering something different and three of Henderson, Jones, Ronan and Kiltie behind Brophy that is not a bad team.

A good solid window for us. 

McGrath leaving would have been a bigger blow for us had Kiltie not emerged in the last few games. We have got pretty much 2 good years out of him and made a profit off him. Successful signing in anyone's book.

Gogic and Jones fit the bill with performing well in this league with previous clubs (not Hibs and Rangers) and should slot well into the team.

Would have kept Dennis ahead of Erwin but that's the hand we have been dealt. 

Assuming we have a sell-on clause with Wigan, in case McGrath does a meatball heid’… McGrath’s Wigan career is one I’ll be keeping an eye on, to see if a Southampton, Brighton, or newly relegated Newcastle make a big bucks move. I wish McGrath well. I have no strong feelings one way or another about the transfer, his agents, or the fact a League One club down there is seen as a career step up towards something even bigger.

That’s life. Every time I see a transfer like this go through, I always think the same thing, and it doesn’t even involve St Mirren. It involves Narey, Hegarty, Sturrock and Bannon, or Leighton, Miller, McLeish and Strachan…. they’d be around their clubs these days as long as a McGrath, and those two wonderful non-Old Firm sides would never, ever form, much less stick around and be so successful.

Annywayyyy. Gie’s a free agent. Get it sorted MacPherson.

Just now, Arch Stanton said:

Who?

Sorry, just a thing in my stupid heid’ every time we want a manager to do something. From Gus’ shitfest years, the phrase ‘Get it sorted MacPherson!’ Is laser-etched in my brain, and it just popped out while typing. 😀

Gie’s a free agent. Get it sorted Kibble.

Not a bad window, made a better window when you realise all those around us also strengthened. Can't really complain. I'm not entirely sold on Gogic, but I'll be honest here, I'm not entirely sold on a pairing of Erhahon and Power, so there's that.

There is no doubt Jones is capable at this level, I just hope we get a player keen to settle in and play football.

I like Dennis, just for that Celtic goal and for flattening that Hearts c**t. God speed.

I'd really hope we were looking at bringing in a free agent to bolseter of striker choices, although at this stage you have to wonder what's out there on that front. Any half decent goalscorer will have long been snapped up. We're now in a position where we're hoping we can keep Brophy fit for the rest of the season. 

Goodwin salvaged this transfer window at the 11th hour, quite literally. Some decent deadline day business that has us looking stronger.

Our strongest 11, if we can keep most fit, should be enough to see us finish 6-8 I reckon. 

Alnwick

Fraser----Shaughnessey----Dunne-----Tanser

Power----Gogic

Ronan----Kiltie----Jones

Brophy

We have a decent bench too, with the likes of Tait, McCarthy, Flynn, Henderson, Erhahon, Millar, Reid and Grieve.

Pity we couldn't shift shite like Main and Erwin on, but you can't have it all.

Farily content with our January business.

31 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Assuming we have a sell-on clause with Wigan, in case McGrath does a meatball heid’… McGrath’s Wigan career is one I’ll be keeping an eye on, to see if a Southampton, Brighton, or newly relegated Newcastle make a big bucks move. I wish McGrath well. I have no strong feelings one way or another about the transfer, his agents, or the fact a League One club down there is seen as a career step up towards something even bigger.

That’s life. Every time I see a transfer like this go through, I always think the same thing, and it doesn’t even involve St Mirren. It involves Narey, Hegarty, Sturrock and Bannon, or Leighton, Miller, McLeish and Strachan…. they’d be around their clubs these days as long as a McGrath, and those two wonderful non-Old Firm sides would never, ever form, much less stick around and be so successful.

Annywayyyy. Gie’s a free agent. Get it sorted MacPherson.

Wigan are second in League One, 1 point behind Rotherham with 2 games in hand and 1 point over Sunderland with 4 games in hand over them. If they continue on that trajectory they will easily win League One and be in the big bucks Championship next year. Jamie could be a League winner in a couple of months.

I'm a bit gutted we held on to Main and Erwin. I feel the are not cheap players and are eating a chunk of the budget, but doing f**k all for it. If Erwin and Jim have fallen out, I'd have thought leaving would have been the better move to get game time, not stay just to be a dick from Erwin.

Erwin doesn't feature at all. Id have thought we flashes here and there would have helped get him punted in this window to show lower league levels what he could do for them. Again this could be if they have fallen out that he doesn't give him time either. All annoying.

Main is frustrating. I get why Jim got him in. To bully and pest the defence. That can create space for others, but didn't. I also think he gets man handled in games too, but as he is a big b*****d, he doesn't get the fouls and free kicks he sometimes should.

7 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Blast from the past but this dude is kicking about and wouldn't require a work permit...

image.thumb.png.c5c6961a08f0de248b108ad1a3e5412f.png

I'm a fan of Orlando City and he's played with them on a couple of occasions. Never quite did it second time round, when he was seen like a bit of a marquee signing, though his scoring record overall in the MLS is pretty decent. 

Very decent player and surprised no-one has picked him up yet. He possibly doesn't want to up sticks. His wife plays pro soccer/football too over there.

Overall I'm happy with the business done yesterday which was more than we normally see on the last day and didn't leave us with McGrath going and us left to find a gem in the out-of-contract market - always more miss than hit.

Overall I feel we're going into the "second half" of the season stronger especially if Goodwin continues with his post-split tactics - looking upwards with an outside chance of a Top6 finish.