The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

2 minutes ago, medals said:

All depends on who we draw and how we play.

Teams like Airdrie are in that pot

Airdrie are no mugs and they will have a decent season in the championship I think.

12 minutes ago, Div said:

Thought I'd have a look at the squad and look at all our current options for positions in the 3-5-2. I might be pushing it a bit with some of them but see what you think. Players listed in no particular order. 

GK
Hemming
Carson
Urminsky

RWB
Strain
Fraser
Bolton
O'Hara
Flynn

LWB
Tanser
Sutherland
R Taylor
McMenamin

CB
Dunne
Gogic
Fraser
R Taylor
Bolton
O'Hara (?!)
Kenny

DM
Gogic
O'Hara
Baccus
Flynn

CM
Baccus
O'Hara
Kiltie
CBM
F Taylor

ST
Nahmani
Mandron
McMenamin
Ayunga
Greive
Olusanya
Offord
Jamieson

I reckon Flynn could do a job in central defence ala Tommy Turner

Just now, McG said:

Airdrie are no mugs and they will have a decent season in the championship I think.

Ofcourse but I was just using them as an example.

When we are up to speed, even the best of the lower league teams that go through should be brushed aside by us - if we are professional and playing to Premiership standards

Hilariously at the point where we were 'just about' to sign a striker, Aaron Pressley, the favourite in many people's eyes, left the country on a US tour with Brentford and that option seemed to die.

As things stand, Brentford are finishing up in the US this Sunday and heading back on Monday and as of writing, we've still not signed the mystery man, which would incredibly put Pressley back into the reckoning as one of the speculative names.:lol:

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

Hilariously at the point where we were 'just about' to sign a striker, Aaron Pressley, the favourite in many people's eyes, left the country on a US tour with Brentford and that option seemed to die.

As things stand, Brentford are finishing up in the US this Sunday and heading back on Monday and as of writing, we've still not signed the mystery man, which would incredibly put Pressley back into the reckoning as one of the speculative names.:lol:

Might explain the long delay in the announcement? 

2 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

I actually think we’ve got better forwards than last season 

I agree. Given that Ayunga was injured for 6 months or so, Bophy and Henderson were away on loan, Watt didn't produce much etc.

We definitely have more options and competition.

I'm not overly concerned about our striking options.

Last season it was based around having battering rams up front and being physical.

This year, whilst we still have that to an extent, we've added more pace and mobility.

We had one plan and one plan only last year. From looking at the squad, I'm more confident that we have a Plan A and, at very least, a Plan B when things aren't quite going to plan.

Edited by Shuggie_Murray7

Offord will certainly go out on loan. I'm less convinced that Olusanya and Jamieson will though, think they will provide something lively off the bench at least.

Think we are really lacking in flair/creativity.

Otherwise the game plan is going to be get the ball wide, get loads of crosses into the box and hope Mandron/Olusanya/Mystery Man cause enough havoc that the other strikers can feed off. It's a bit predictable!

A lot is going to ride on McMenamin being decent, especially if Kiltie is going to be out for a while.

24 minutes ago, medals said:

I agree. Given that Ayunga was injured for 6 months or so, Bophy and Henderson were away on loan, Watt didn't produce much etc.

We definitely have more options and competition.

And most folk wanted Main away at the start of last season!

15 minutes ago, Div said:

Offord will certainly go out on loan. I'm less convinced that Olusanya and Jamieson will though, think they will provide something lively off the bench at least.

Think we are really lacking in flair/creativity.

Otherwise the game plan is going to be get the ball wide, get loads of crosses into the box and hope Mandron/Olusanya/Mystery Man cause enough havoc that the other strikers can feed off. It's a bit predictable!

A lot is going to ride on McMenamin being decent, especially if Kiltie is going to be out for a while.

I've got a feeling Greive will go out on loan . Maybe even to Dundee United to join his old gaffer .

1 minute ago, Div said:

Offord perhaps going to Edinburgh City. That would surprise me as I think he was really keen to go to a Full Time team.

https://twitter.com/Record_Sport/status/1684516449757417474?s=20https://twitter.com/Record_Sport/status/1684516449757417474?s=20

If he goes part-time then he can still train with you guys the majority of the week.

Just now, DukDukGoose said:

If he goes part-time then he can still train with you guys the majority of the week.

Yeah, I think he had aspirations of getting a Championship team though, and a full time one if at all possible, really keen to push on.

Suppose it's all down to who wants him though!

3 hours ago, Ric said:

No problems with Gallacher going to United, seems like Dundee is the destination for our ex-defenders. What I find odd is that Goodwin clearly thought Gallacher wasn't good enough for the Premiership with Aberdeen as he shipped him out early, and for little money, now the role is reversed and we are shipping him back to a Goodwin side for little money.

horses for courses, Goodwin is a pragmatist and it will only cost the club IF they are promoted, sounds sensible to me

12 minutes ago, Div said:

Yeah, I think he had aspirations of getting a Championship team though, and a full time one if at all possible, really keen to push on.

Suppose it's all down to who wants him though!

He was pretty average with Alloa last season , decent enough , but not outstanding . League One is probably the right place for Offord to continue his development.  A team would do well getting both him and Fraser Taylor on loan for the season .