The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

1 minute ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

Is anybody sure the 'six-figure sum' is not £1,000.01? 😆

Seriously, though, I say good riddance. Aye, he is a good 'keeper, that cannot be denied, but there's no way the club should be paying him to effectively keep himself fit. This also helps stoke up the atmosphere for the Dundee game, when I hope everyone's on their feet booing and jeering him every time he gets hold of the ball, assuming he plays of course.

If he plays he will have a blinder helping them to the 3 points they played really well last season in the cup here I think they are better and we are weaker.

1 minute ago, elvis said:

I think we are way weaker unfortunately. 

From what I have seen of Zach Hemming, he looks decent enough; Mandran and Nahmani have both shown they can find the back of the net. Let's not forget that Main scored 11 goals in 68 appearances (according to Wiki), though I appreciate last season he did a lot of off the ball work, and Brophy was out injured most of the time; Shaugnessy, who I've always rated, didn't feature in the squad. If Bolton's as good as he's reputed to be and can stay fit, he will be an upgrade on Tait. I thought McMenamin has looked good so far.

We've had a better pre-season than last year and now Carson's away we should be able to bring in another player or two. :) 

3 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Defence, midfield and attack 

I liked Gallagher , but he hardly played in the last 3rd of last season , Big Joe was a cult figure , but was very erratic , and I can understand why SR wasn't keen on him. Bolton , imo , will turn out to be the best central defender we've had in years , mobile , hard as nails and a winner. We're still a couple short , but I have no doubt we will have a stronger squad than last season going forward !

8 minutes ago, elvis said:

If he plays he will have a blinder helping them to the 3 points they played really well last season in the cup here I think they are better and we are weaker.

🤣

Now I know you're on the wind up! 

I really want Carson to play, because I think it'll only give us more incentive to beat them and I think it'll get to him, psychologically. Makes me look forward to the Dundee game even more, if that's possible. 

Hopefully Big Joe will get a good reception, as he's been a good servant to the club and  nobody can blame him for leaving as he wasn't featuring in the first XI, but Carson will hopefully feel the wrath from the home crowd.

1 minute ago, ZingaliMan said:

You should put down that big cross you're carrying and give yourself a wee rest. 

I'm sorry but that's my opinion I would love to be proved wrong and we end up having a great season but away from home we were and still are terrible and the 2 boys upfront won't cut it either once they come up against premier opposition they will be found to be wanting big time .

4 hours ago, Ric said:

If Carson doesn't want to be at St Mirren fine, he can go, but the red line is you don't sell your best players to the opposition.

I’ve seen us sell guys like Peter Weir, Billy Stark, Frank McDougall, Paul Lambert, Gunni Torfason, Lex Richardson, Billy Thompson, Ian Ferguson, David Winnie,  etc to Scottish rivals down the years. 

It’s nothing new. We have always been a selling club. 

None of those players were 35 years of age. 

It was clear that we were in a situation that we needed to offload Trevor Carson. 

In the past we “mutually terminated” the contract of such players and paid them off. 

If we actually achieve a transfer fee and get shot of 2 years of wages for potentially one of our highest earning players (who has declared he wants away) then in my opinion that is a fcuking tremendous deal. 

There is no doubt that Carson was a great keeper for us last season, but there is no guarantee that he is going to transform Dundee from a championship club to a top6 team on his own. 

Bye bye TC - enjoy Dundee. 

26 minutes ago, elvis said:

I hope he does play since his last game was 3 months ago, so match fit he certainly won't be. 

34 minutes ago, Molotov said:

I’ve seen us sell guys like Peter Weir, Billy Stark, Frank McDougall, Paul Lambert, Gunni Torfason, Lex Richardson, Billy Thompson, Ian Ferguson, David Winnie,  etc to Scottish rivals down the years. 

It’s nothing new. We have always been a selling club. 

None of those players were 35 years of age. 

It was clear that we were in a situation that we needed to offload Trevor Carson. 

In the past we “mutually terminated” the contract of such players and paid them off. 

If we actually achieve a transfer fee and get shot of 2 years of wages for potentially one of our highest earning players (who has declared he wants away) then in my opinion that is a fcuking tremendous deal. 

There is no doubt that Carson was a great keeper for us last season, but there is no guarantee that he is going to transform Dundee from a championship club to a top6 team on his own. 

Bye bye TC - enjoy Dundee. 

We have also freed the wage of a player who doesn't want to play for us.

Could have let him go for nothing with a payoff and Dundee pick him up for free.

When there is only one suitor, you can't be too picky about where they end up.

40 minutes ago, tam the bud said:

I hope he does play since his last game was 3 months ago, so match fit he certainly won't be. 

Hes a goal keeper for Christsake he doesn't need to be match fit he just needs to be mentally ready he's been training for weeks.

To get any fee for a player who wasn’t going to contribute is good business. 

I predict our game against Dundee will either have him playing the game of his life or he will be trying too hard and have a howler. 

Having said that both those predictions are reliant on us looking like we might threaten the goal.